The last minute winner

Chat about anything football related here!
grandad

Re: The last minute winner

Post by grandad » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:37 am

Another rule that is slowly killing football

:roll:
0 x
Once you take the devils shilling its no going back !!!!!!

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:37 am

Didn't take long for that honeymoon to end in tears. FFS everyone wanted it last year. It will make things fairer they said. Refs won't be able to favour the big teams they said. Now after 2 weeks it appears to be crap and no one wants it any more. :lol:
0 x
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

h69

Post by h69 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:12 am

I agree with the OP even though the reviews were all correct.

I was at Brighton on Saturday and they were very slow to actually put something on the screen saying they were reviewing that Brighton goal and they didnt mention two other VAR reviews because they didnt change the decision (although I though Antonio could have had a penalty). They also never said why they ruled out the goal. I had to wait to watch it on MotD when I got home.

Then when Brighton did score, their cheers were not as loud because that was reviewed as well.

I get the need to try and get correct decisions..I still am angry at the Liverpool home game last season, but they need to tell us what is going on. They did a better job at home but the Brighton person in charge of their screen had no clue.

And Man Utd and Liverpool dont even have a screen so what then.

I am starting to think it was better to live with the mistakes. It certainly is fairer and is good for the clubs themselves and anyone watching on TV at home (as they show what they are looking at like they do in Cricket) but its a nightmare if you are at the game.
0 x
Watchout for Spongebob

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:57 am

h69 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:12 am

I was at Brighton on Saturday and they were very slow to actually put something on the screen saying they were reviewing that Brighton goal and they didnt mention two other VAR reviews because they didnt change the decision (although I though Antonio could have had a penalty). They also never said why they ruled out the goal. I had to wait to watch it on MotD when I got home.

Then when Brighton did score, their cheers were not as loud because that was reviewed as well.

I get the need to try and get correct decisions..I still am angry at the Liverpool home game last season, but they need to tell us what is going on. They did a better job at home but the Brighton person in charge of their screen had no clue.

I am starting to think it was better to live with the mistakes. It certainly is fairer and is good for the clubs themselves and anyone watching on TV at home (as they show what they are looking at like they do in Cricket) but its a nightmare if you are at the game.
The problem and this was obvious,is not applying goal line technology to the ruling on offside.

Goal line technology is brilliant. The ball is either over the line 100% or it isn't. They nicked that from Tennis.Out or in. Brilliant applause for the clever minds who understand big thought outcomes.

And it's the 100% over the line that's important here.Which is where the offside rule goes a bit pear shaped.

The offside rule is an idea borrowed from deciding the winner of racing horses.A bit of the horse being over the line.

So, if a football or tennis ball doesn't actually physically cross the line (until it does) then it hasn't. And a player can't really be offside until he is.

And since 5% of a football or tennis ball that is over the line,doesn't count,then less than 100% of a player being offside shouldn't count either.
0 x

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:43 pm

BlackDiamond wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:57 am
h69 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:12 am

The problem and this was obvious,is not applying goal line technology to the ruling on offside.

Goal line technology is brilliant. The ball is either over the line 100% or it isn't. They nicked that from Tennis.Out or in. Brilliant applause for the clever minds who understand big thought outcomes.

And it's the 100% over the line that's important here.Which is where the offside rule goes a bit pear shaped.

The offside rule is an idea borrowed from deciding the winner of racing horses.A bit of the horse being over the line.

So, if a football or tennis ball doesn't actually physically cross the line (until it does) then it hasn't. And a player can't really be offside until he is.

And since 5% of a football or tennis ball that is over the line,doesn't count,then less than 100% of a player being offside shouldn't count either.
As a player is offside when the ball is played for the system to work properly shouldn't there be 2 cameras one of which should be on the player making the pass.

The most sensible thing they could do is stop fucking around with micro decisions and only involve VAR if the decision is, as it was supposed to be, a clear and obvious error. Such as Liverpool's goal at the LS last season in fact.

Imo the two offside reviews in our game against City were ludicrous, a real fag paper scenario, as was the penalty retake. And City's disallowed goal against Spurs was equally stupid.

I've only watched those two games since it was introduced and both games have, imo, been fucked about with unnecessarily.
0 x
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

palerider
Location: A small village on Mars just outside the capital city, Wibble

Post by palerider » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:53 pm

So if the ball hits the hand of an attacker accidentally it's no goal.

But if hits the hand of a defender it's no penalty.

That's not right in this day and age. I'm writing to the court of human rights.
0 x
The cheque's in the post. Honestly.

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:58 am

palerider wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:53 pm
So if the ball hits the hand of an attacker accidentally it's no goal.

But if hits the hand of a defender it's no penalty.

That's not right in this day and age. I'm writing to the court of human rights.
The issue with that Man City disallowed goal,was that the ball's direction was not diverted. The "handball" was adjudged to have taken place when the ball brushed the sleeve material of an attacking player prior to arriving to Jesus.

The people using their eyes at Stockley Park fucked up. Imagine if they worked in air traffic control...
0 x

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:27 am

The way the PL is employing VAR is ludicrous. In last night's game a Man United attack was halted by an offside flag. The decision was very marginal. Shouldn't play have been allowed to continue and, had a goal resulted, VAR could then have adjudicated whether or not it was offside ? As it was a goal scoring opportunity was denied by a linesman's guesswork.
0 x

h69

Post by h69 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:02 pm

Jacko1966 wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:25 pm
IronsForever wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:57 pm

So after changing the laws it no longer has to be defined as " intentional handball" ? Thats decision was embarrassing because it slightly glanced off the guy who knew nothing about it whatsoever.
Pepsi cola rightly pointing out the handball in VAR that wasnt given which would have seen City reach CL semi final when Lamela handed it in quarter finals.
What we should do then is get as many crosses in as we can pelting the nearest players arms.
Different rule for defenders though. No, seriously.
I dont get why though if I am honest.
0 x
Watchout for Spongebob

Social Media