Watford vs West Ham Official Match Thread

Chat about anything football related here!
IronsForever

Re: Watford vs West Ham Official Match Thread

Post by IronsForever » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:15 pm

Whiskyman wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:48 pm
Hammertime wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:11 pm
4 points in Aug with some attacking football being played! We have one FB who’s the fastest guy on the pitch which often gets him into attacking positions that he does fuck all with, but adds a certain security down that flank. We have another FB who is a liability as a defender but will probably have his fair share of assists this season! I say stick with both for a run of games and hope they’re strong points outweigh their negatives & experience will improve both.

Also think people are being a little harsh on Yarma. Yes Antonio should’ve probably started, but make no mistake, the Ukrainian is a class player & I think it wise that Pelle try and give him opportunities to get his legs back after being out of prem action for so long. Had Fredericks done anything with any of those through balls Yarma played him in on stride, we’d be a little more forgiving I feel. I know he’s not the fastest guy on the pitch, but he’s usually good in possession and a good passer of the ball.
And his touch is far better than Antonio. I think had he been given the chance through on goal that Antonio squandered our margin of victory may have been more convincing.

Imo Antonio has a better "engine" but Yarmolenko is a far better footballer.
Yarmelenko is classy but omg he is a liability defending. He was strolling back from their half like he was a striker Saturday. Either he isn,t fit or he just didn,t have it in him , in that heat to play both games of attacking and defending.
0 x
Come On You Irons!!!!!!!!!!

Hammertime

Post by Hammertime » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:54 pm

IronsForever wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:15 pm
Whiskyman wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:48 pm

And his touch is far better than Antonio. I think had he been given the chance through on goal that Antonio squandered our margin of victory may have been more convincing.

Imo Antonio has a better "engine" but Yarmolenko is a far better footballer.
Yarmelenko is classy but omg he is a liability defending. He was strolling back from their half like he was a striker Saturday. Either he isn,t fit or he just didn,t have it in him , in that heat to play both games of attacking and defending.
How anyone expects Yarma to be back defending and patrolling the right flank like a traditional rw while finding his legs after a year out of the game is beyond me. Rather I would expect Pelle chose to employ him as it was an out of form Watford and he had the fastest guy on the pitch behind him. What wasn’t factored in was the, at times, shambolic defending in that game & therefore exposing the very thing I don’t want Yarma to be doing at this point of his recovery.
0 x
Patriotism, like celibacy, can be carried too far!

IronsForever

Post by IronsForever » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:27 pm

Hammertime wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:54 pm
IronsForever wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:15 pm

How anyone expects Yarma to be back defending and patrolling the right flank like a traditional rw while finding his legs after a year out of the game is beyond me. Rather I would expect Pelle chose to employ him as it was an out of form Watford and he had the fastest guy on the pitch behind him. What wasn’t factored in was the, at times, shambolic defending in that game & therefore exposing the very thing I don’t want Yarma to be doing at this point of his recovery.
Well Yarma will have to start defending now because Antonio is out for a month.If Yarma doesn,t defend it pulls either Noble or Rice over that flank as cover leaving a gap in the center. Yarma,s job is to help the right back. Is he not a winger? If not he must be a right midfield player ? Either way he has to defend. Can you imagine Klopp or Pepesi Cola watching him gasping for air trying to slowly jog back after a move breaks down 20 yards in their half?
If you are not going to chase back and defend you need to be offering something real decent when going forward.
0 x
Come On You Irons!!!!!!!!!!

Hammertime

Post by Hammertime » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:09 pm

IronsForever wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:27 pm
Hammertime wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:54 pm

Well Yarma will have to start defending now because Antonio is out for a month.If Yarma doesn,t defend it pulls either Noble or Rice over that flank as cover leaving a gap in the center. Yarma,s job is to help the right back. Is he not a winger? If not he must be a right midfield player ? Either way he has to defend. Can you imagine Klopp or Pepesi Cola watching him gasping for air trying to slowly jog back after a move breaks down 20 yards in their half?
If you are not going to chase back and defend you need to be offering something real decent when going forward.

Before the Antonio injury that's exactly what I was proposing, a decent forward player without the responsibility of tracking back as often. Pelle likes his wingbacks to create the width going forward, which given the crossing of Fredericks is somewhat worrying. Yarma can be quite a nuisance on that right flank, but even as his fitness improves, he's never going to have the wheels of a Fredericks or Antonio to recover. When he is on his game though, he's strong in possession and can pick a pass and I would love to see him interchanging with the other forward players we have or supplying Haller in the box. The fact that we've failed to bolster midfield and full backs is a waste of Yarma's talents so I would hope a good manager would have a plan B, rather than keep hurling both fullbacks forward and leaving the flanks exposed. Have Arthur go forward, drop Fredericks into a back 3 when this happens and then have one of the mids compliment the attack down the right side. Stands to reason if you have the fastest bloke on the pitch who's of little or no use in attacking areas, leave him to do what he's best at.
0 x
Patriotism, like celibacy, can be carried too far!

Social Media