Newport County v West Ham United Official Match Thread

Chat about anything football related here!
Gonzo

Re: Newport County v West Ham United Official Match Thread

Post by Gonzo » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:20 pm

andyginbrasil wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:02 pm
IronsForever wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:49 pm

Mind you mate. If you pull a hammy after 5 mins it,s probably because you never warmed up properly.
Funny you should say that because I was watching Anderson when he came on...wondering whether he was going to suffer the same fate....god forbid....at least he did play himself in a bit for the first 15mins
To be fair it was only 6 mins into the game so he would have been properly warmed up.

Best player on the park though
0 x

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:40 pm

Total dog of a match. Only player I could honestly say played well was Roberto. Can't understand why Sanchez is being picked out for particular criticism tbh. He did ok imo albeit against pretty crap opposition. Most did alright without busting a gut but , ffs, Snodgrass. When he first join4ed I thought he was crap but then last season he had one or two moments. But tonight I thought he was our worst player. Although if Coventry had been on the pitch longer he'd have run him close. Only had two real things to do and with the first nearly cost a goal and the second, the air shot at the death, was laughable. Diop was awful first half but got to grips with Newport's hoofball in the second.
3 x
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

andyginbrasil

Post by andyginbrasil » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:43 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:20 pm
andyginbrasil wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:02 pm

Funny you should say that because I was watching Anderson when he came on...wondering whether he was going to suffer the same fate....god forbid....at least he did play himself in a bit for the first 15mins
To be fair it was only 6 mins into the game so he would have been properly warmed up.

I agree.......Balbuena did well too...got pulled out of position..to cover Diop when Cresswell got beaten time and time again..but to be fair I wasn't expecting too much today from anyone...just get the result, even if it has to be ugly.
Our first cup run starts today..... :D
1 x

Hildreth_1101

Post by Hildreth_1101 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:43 am

Whiskyman wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:40 pm
Total dog of a match. Only player I could honestly say played well was Roberto. Can't understand why Sanchez is being picked out for particular criticism tbh. He did ok imo albeit against pretty crap opposition. Most did alright without busting a gut but , ffs, Snodgrass. When he first join4ed I thought he was crap but then last season he had one or two moments. But tonight I thought he was our worst player. Although if Coventry had been on the pitch longer he'd have run him close. Only had two real things to do and with the first nearly cost a goal and the second, the air shot at the death, was laughable. Diop was awful first half but got to grips with Newport's hoofball in the second.
Think too harsh? We dominated the game mostly, scored two good goals versus a team mostly sitting back, they did cause a few problems and we did need our keeper once or twice but in general we were pretty good, especially 2nd half - Not amazing but good enough to beat a team down the league.

Always look a bit shaky at the back, luckily they didn't punish us when we did give the ball away in sloppy areas. I did not watch first 20 minutes though so perhaps I missed some stuff.

I did notice Snodgrass just does not trust his Right foot, had lot of good crossing opportunities and never put it in, in the end Newport full back figured out he won't ever cross with his right just showed him down the right always. Anderson ran the show with Fornals and Wilshere really, cut above them as you'd expect, Sanchez did better tonight then I seen previously, still backup for Rice though and shouldn't get near the team unless Rice is injured.
0 x

Parry Hotter

Post by Parry Hotter » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:01 am

Whiskyman wrote:
Sums it up pretty good. We never played well but we never needed to and thought most were just strolling about coz they never needed to really bust a gut like you said. Shame about Antonio looked a bad injury so probably out for a month or two.
0 x

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:25 am

They did what was required .

Fortunately they couldn’t hit a barn door and if we had gone a goal down I think we may have struggled but credit where credits due , Roberto dealt with anything he needed to deal with .

Wilshere and Sanchez found their level though the latter still kept passing to them lol.

I like the look of Ajeti though . Didn’t get much of a sniff thanks to woeful woeful crossing from Snodgrass , Zabaleta and fucking Cresswell whom imo is absolute dogshit even against that lot.

But it looks to me that Ajeti will enable us to keep the same system should anything happen to Helmut which can only be a good thing.
1 x
I hate Thrush he’s an irritating Cunt .

Gonzo

Post by Gonzo » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:26 am

andyginbrasil wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:43 pm
Gonzo wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:20 pm

I agree.......Balbuena did well too...got pulled out of position..to cover Diop when Cresswell got beaten time and time again..but to be fair I wasn't expecting too much today from anyone...just get the result, even if it has to be ugly.
Our first cup run starts today..... :D
City in the next round mate :lol:
0 x

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:09 am

Hildreth_1101 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:43 am
Whiskyman wrote:
Think too harsh? We dominated the game mostly, scored two good goals versus a team mostly sitting back, they did cause a few problems and we did need our keeper once or twice but in general we were pretty good, especially 2nd half - Not amazing but good enough to beat a team down the league.

Always look a bit shaky at the back, luckily they didn't punish us when we did give the ball away in sloppy areas. I did not watch first 20 minutes though so perhaps I missed some stuff.

I did notice Snodgrass just does not trust his Right foot, had lot of good crossing opportunities and never put it in, in the end Newport full back figured out he won't ever cross with his right just showed him down the right always. Anderson ran the show with Fornals and Wilshere really, cut above them as you'd expect, Sanchez did better tonight then I seen previously, still backup for Rice though and shouldn't get near the team unless Rice is injured.
Don't think I was too harsh tbh. As you say we did enough against an awful hoofball style and could have scored more. But imo the game itself was a total dog. The bloke on Sky said it was "a typical cup tie" , which usually means it was pretty crap with a load of hoof.

Maybe I'm being too harsh but if I was the manager of a team I'd want them to crush an opposition like Newport, not just coast through the game at 50%. Particularly as most of that side are not automatic first choice selections and surely would want to prove something.
1 x
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

Clayton

Post by Clayton » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:06 am

Cant say I was overly impressed last night with the win but very thankful , all be it against a very good tier 4 side doing ok in their division . All I can say is thank god Antonio got his injury :( and Anderson was brought on because he made the difference . They could have been 2 up by then if they had someone on the pitch who could of put their chances away . Wilshere had some nice touches ( just hope this isn't his level now ) Fornals needs more time on the pitch and it showed , Ajeti on his first start could and should of scored a couple , time will tell really needs game time , but I liked what I saw of him . Our fullbacks are atrocious , doubt they would get games in a championship side now , neither can cross , defensively inept , Zabaletas footballing brain is no more and kept getting found out for lack of pace with his poor positioning . Sanchez though he did ok at times against Newport is a very poor substitute for Rice his passing is poor think he probably passed to the opposition far to many times :( , just hope Rice never gets a injury . Diop was a accident waiting to happen the 1st half , but did improve in the second half , why that was is beyond me as he is a quality defender as is Balbuena . Snodgrass was shite when we got him and still is , never a premiership player for a team hoping to improve , really do not know why a youngster wasn't given a chance . Roberto did what he had to between the sticks and kept us in the game by just being their .
Last edited by Clayton on Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

jameskel

Post by jameskel » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:28 am

They are DIV 2, lets get that straight

If they had finished, the game was all over. They looked quicker in attack than us, and for the most, far more solid at the back.

Thought Sanchez had a decent game, done exactly as a DM should do. Snodgrass was fucking woeful, Coventry was lost and Diop was given the run around by an inferior player.
0 x
Taans can fuck right off

Social Media