Hernandez is leaving for 8 million and a free agent will be signed as a replacement

Chat about anything football related here!
User avatar
Brookbonds73
Posts: 5364
Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 2:34 am
x 269
x 499

Re: Hernandez is leaving for 8 million and a free agent will be signed as a replacement

Post by Brookbonds73 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:51 pm

palerider wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:48 pm
Good riddance.

I bought one of those El Paso taco kits in Tesco and I got the shits.
I must admit they gave me the gallops as well.
0 x
Love a cup of Rosey I do.

User avatar
Ironworksfc
Posts: 1124
Joined: Sun May 29, 2016 1:03 am
x 23
x 100

Re: Hernandez is leaving for 8 million and a free agent will be signed as a replacement

Post by Ironworksfc » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:32 pm

As the saying goes, better out than in
1 x

User avatar
h69
Posts: 3588
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:51 pm
Location: Enfield, Middlesex
x 306
x 212

Re: Hernandez is leaving for 8 million and a free agent will be signed as a replacement

Post by h69 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:58 am

terrya1965 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:41 pm
Newmarket wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:29 am


Apologies if I sounded a bit brash , you just seemed very very sure of any toxic atmosphere/disruptive influence within the squad .

And frankly I don’t believe that but hey ho :D

My belief is that financially it was a great deal for the club/gruesome twosome and we’ll never see any of it

Especially January when they (don’t) have previous for investment.

The timing of this is just all wrong .

Someone on another thread said you get what you pay for and many were in agreement.

We have spent next to fuck all and reduced the wage bill by a shit load .

Low net spend and low wage bill USUALLY points to lower mid table/relegation battle .

Our problems could have been addressed with proper investment though.
What’s the chances of injuries to
Haller
Rice
Fabianski
Masuaku

all at the same time ?
Answer this question Tim.

Would you rather have the current squad or the one from 2 seasons ago?

If your answer is this season,then Manuel Pellegrini and Mario Husillos, have done their jobs well.They have saved the club money and we are a better team for it.

If you answer is 2 years ago,then you are a fool.
Dont sit on the fence Terry !!!!!! :lol:

Joking aside, I agree that they have done their jobs well. Hernandez was unlikely to play much and he wanted to go.
You dont keep a player that does not want to be here. He didnt kick up a fuss but he did want to leave.

We would have sold him in the summer had he more readily taken a paycut from the 145,000 per week he was on.

I wish him well but for me, Ferguson got him spot on. Great to have in there as a sub when you are chasing the game and pounding the opposition penalty area. Good finisher but brings little else IMO.

I still have a bad taste from that Shrewsbury cup game a couple of years ago. I remember their fans applauding off Cullen for losing his teeth playing his heart out but boo'd Hernandez because he was always on the floor whining at the ref.

As a starter, not the right fit at our club or any club that play one up front and now a level of quality below where we are currently shopping and we look to go younger now.

When you have a very high quality forward like Haller, you cant have a backup that is quite as good but we have Ajeti and Silva plus as a third backup option we have Anderson who can play central (as he did at Lazio sometimes) and when he gets back, we can play Antonio up top. failing all of those, we can play a false 9.

We all want to spend 300m on the team but it will take time. Yes if we lose Haller, Rice, Anderson we are in trouble but if Spurs lost Kane, Eriksen and Son, so would they and if Liverpool lost Alisson, van Dyke and Mane, they would too.

Injuries are part of the game. We have to hope we have a good season. Part of the reason on buying younger players should mean less of that but it is not impossible that we fall short because of injury
0 x
Watchout for Spongebob

User avatar
Brookbonds73
Posts: 5364
Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 2:34 am
x 269
x 499

Re: Hernandez is leaving for 8 million and a free agent will be signed as a replacement

Post by Brookbonds73 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:23 pm

What it all boils down to is the fact that the £30 million spend the shysters said we had available before the transfer window opened isn't to far off the mark. As Newms said, they've also reduced the wage bill by a shed load in the process. In fact when you tot it all up they've probably come out quids in.
Yes, we are a better side? Well probably but I'd put that down to the managers 2nd season syndrome, he's seen what needed doing and signed good replacements, but couldn't go any further, let's not kid ourselves the glaring problem areas on the pitch are still there and those shysters weren't prepared to spend anymore to help him out. And they won't spend in January either, that's a fact.
He's taken a big gamble on us scoring more than we concede in most games, but we are only a couple of injuries away from struggling.
This season was a real chance to push on and try to break in to the top six, others are struggling. Will we do it? Well with a bit of luck maybe. Could we have done it, with a bit more investment? Absolutely imho, but the board have held us back.
0 x
Love a cup of Rosey I do.

User avatar
HamstasParadise
Posts: 175
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:13 pm
Location: East Sussex
x 8

Re: Hernandez is leaving for 8 million and a free agent will be signed as a replacement

Post by HamstasParadise » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:14 pm

Hernadez’s attitude didn’t stink like Arnie’s but at best he was a decent squad member/sub, and we didn’t see a great return on the initial cost and his weekly wages. We’ll be fine without him.

Can’t agree with any criticism of G&S or MP and the player recruiting and sales director on this. We’ve improved the squad and dropped a lot of wages.... that means the salary budget has some headroom next time around if the transfer budget is there.

Spending your pay in the bookies the day you get it is not always the best plan. A better bet may come along if you wait. We might have bought someone on the hoof in the window that has just closed, but would they have been just what we needed? Once spent, the money is tied up for several years, or you sell at a loss. The winter window is lower key and a better opportunity may arise and I’m quite happy with what we’ve got, and knowing there must be a bit of cash in the kitty should someone suitable be available.
0 x

User avatar
Whiskyman
Posts: 8011
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:05 pm
x 137
x 675

Re: Hernandez is leaving for 8 million and a free agent will be signed as a replacement

Post by Whiskyman » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:51 pm

Brookbonds73 wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:23 pm
What it all boils down to is the fact that the £30 million spend the shysters said we had available before the transfer window opened isn't to far off the mark. As Newms said, they've also reduced the wage bill by a shed load in the process. In fact when you tot it all up they've probably come out quids in.
Yes, we are a better side? Well probably but I'd put that down to the managers 2nd season syndrome, he's seen what needed doing and signed good replacements, but couldn't go any further, let's not kid ourselves the glaring problem areas on the pitch are still there and those shysters weren't prepared to spend anymore to help him out. And they won't spend in January either, that's a fact.
He's taken a big gamble on us scoring more than we concede in most games, but we are only a couple of injuries away from struggling.
This season was a real chance to push on and try to break in to the top six, others are struggling. Will we do it? Well with a bit of luck maybe. Could we have done it, with a bit more investment? Absolutely imho, but the board have held us back.
Problem we've got, apart from the board which I think we agree on, is that quality back up players are happy enough to warm the benches at The Bernabeu, Camp Nou, Old Trafford & Anfield but not at places like the LS, Molineux and so on. So it's a little bit catch 22 plus, as always, a lot of luck on the injury front. Good recruitment isn't just about picking players with skill. It's also about avoiding the kind of calamities like Carroll, and Kieron Dyer back a few years ago, which for clubs on a limited budget like ours are the kiss of death,

Most of our fans could have predicted Dyer, given his injury history, would flop and most of us also saw that Carroll was a disaster waiting to happen. At least Husillos is bringing in players with the right age profile which is a start. Hopefully next summer will put further building blocks in place.
0 x
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

User avatar
Brookbonds73
Posts: 5364
Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 2:34 am
x 269
x 499

Re: Hernandez is leaving for 8 million and a free agent will be signed as a replacement

Post by Brookbonds73 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:58 pm

Whiskyman wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:51 pm
Brookbonds73 wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:23 pm
What it all boils down to is the fact that the £30 million spend the shysters said we had available before the transfer window opened isn't to far off the mark. As Newms said, they've also reduced the wage bill by a shed load in the process. In fact when you tot it all up they've probably come out quids in.
Yes, we are a better side? Well probably but I'd put that down to the managers 2nd season syndrome, he's seen what needed doing and signed good replacements, but couldn't go any further, let's not kid ourselves the glaring problem areas on the pitch are still there and those shysters weren't prepared to spend anymore to help him out. And they won't spend in January either, that's a fact.
He's taken a big gamble on us scoring more than we concede in most games, but we are only a couple of injuries away from struggling.
This season was a real chance to push on and try to break in to the top six, others are struggling. Will we do it? Well with a bit of luck maybe. Could we have done it, with a bit more investment? Absolutely imho, but the board have held us back.
Problem we've got, apart from the board which I think we agree on, is that quality back up players are happy enough to warm the benches at The Bernabeu, Camp Nou, Old Trafford & Anfield but not at places like the LS, Molineux and so on. So it's a little bit catch 22 plus, as always, a lot of luck on the injury front. Good recruitment isn't just about picking players with skill. It's also about avoiding the kind of calamities like Carroll, and Kieron Dyer back a few years ago, which for clubs on a limited budget like ours are the kiss of death,

Most of our fans could have predicted Dyer, given his injury history, would flop and most of us also saw that Carroll was a disaster waiting to happen. At least Husillos is bringing in players with the right age profile which is a start. Hopefully next summer will put further building blocks in place.
Hopefully Whisky. There's no doubting we're heading in the right direction regarding player ages etc. But I must admit I'm sceptical when it comes to our board backing Pelle next year as the deadwood has already been outed this time round.
We'll probably sign one or two, but knowing this lot, we may well have to sell a gem, in order to do so.
0 x
Love a cup of Rosey I do.

User avatar
Whiskyman
Posts: 8011
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:05 pm
x 137
x 675

Re: Hernandez is leaving for 8 million and a free agent will be signed as a replacement

Post by Whiskyman » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:09 pm

Brookbonds73 wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:58 pm
Whiskyman wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:51 pm


Problem we've got, apart from the board which I think we agree on, is that quality back up players are happy enough to warm the benches at The Bernabeu, Camp Nou, Old Trafford & Anfield but not at places like the LS, Molineux and so on. So it's a little bit catch 22 plus, as always, a lot of luck on the injury front. Good recruitment isn't just about picking players with skill. It's also about avoiding the kind of calamities like Carroll, and Kieron Dyer back a few years ago, which for clubs on a limited budget like ours are the kiss of death,

Most of our fans could have predicted Dyer, given his injury history, would flop and most of us also saw that Carroll was a disaster waiting to happen. At least Husillos is bringing in players with the right age profile which is a start. Hopefully next summer will put further building blocks in place.
Hopefully Whisky. There's no doubting we're heading in the right direction regarding player ages etc. But I must admit I'm sceptical when it comes to our board backing Pelle next year as the deadwood has already been outed this time round.
We'll probably sign one or two, but knowing this lot, we may well have to sell a gem, in order to do so.
You may well be right. And my worry is that Pellegrini will not renew his contract if that is the case. And if he goes I suspect Husillos will as well and we will be back to the previous shambles. But trying to be positive I like to think that next year's deadwood will be of a higher calibre than recent seasons. The likes of Reid, Snodgrass and Creswell, plus Zabaleta who we know is quitting England, need replacing. We are slowly moving in the right direction under this manager and, imo, it's important we continue to back him.

I don't have a problem with the slow and steady squad improvement approach providing the momentum of it is allowed to continue.
1 x
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

User avatar
Brookbonds73
Posts: 5364
Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 2:34 am
x 269
x 499

Re: Hernandez is leaving for 8 million and a free agent will be signed as a replacement

Post by Brookbonds73 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:37 pm

Whiskyman wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:09 pm
Brookbonds73 wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:58 pm


Hopefully Whisky. There's no doubting we're heading in the right direction regarding player ages etc. But I must admit I'm sceptical when it comes to our board backing Pelle next year as the deadwood has already been outed this time round.
We'll probably sign one or two, but knowing this lot, we may well have to sell a gem, in order to do so.
You may well be right. And my worry is that Pellegrini will not renew his contract if that is the case. And if he goes I suspect Husillos will as well and we will be back to the previous shambles. But trying to be positive I like to think that next year's deadwood will be of a higher calibre than recent seasons. The likes of Reid, Snodgrass and Creswell, plus Zabaleta who we know is quitting England, need replacing. We are slowly moving in the right direction under this manager and, imo, it's important we continue to back him.

I don't have a problem with the slow and steady squad improvement approach providing the momentum of it is allowed to continue.
Indeed.
There is no need to go mad in the transfer market, two or three quality additions per season would be the ideal way forward. Like you say, I think most fans would settle for that, rather than going gung-ho and buying average joes.
0 x
Love a cup of Rosey I do.

User avatar
HamstasParadise
Posts: 175
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:13 pm
Location: East Sussex
x 8

Re: Hernandez is leaving for 8 million and a free agent will be signed as a replacement

Post by HamstasParadise » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:15 pm

Whiskyman wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:51 pm

Most of our fans could have predicted Dyer, given his injury history, would flop and most of us also saw that Carroll was a disaster waiting to happen. At least Husillos is bringing in players with the right age profile which is a start. Hopefully next summer will put further building blocks in place.
Many people were concerned Jack W might be in the same bracket before he signed.... we all hope they were wrong, but the signs haven’t been great so far I’m sorry to say. He at least has more quality than the two above and isn’t over the hill age wise so hope remains.
0 x

Post Reply

Social Media