Witchipoo’s latest column

Chat about anything football related here!
User avatar
h69
Posts: 3590
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:51 pm
Location: Enfield, Middlesex
x 309
x 212

Re: Witchipoo’s latest column

Post by h69 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:36 pm

Neville Bartos wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:13 pm
As far as I could tell the change was meant to settle all the transfer moves prior to kickoff. Clearly if European clubs can still sign players that hasn't happened. That being the case I'd vote to ditch and revert back to the old system.
I'd dump the window completely as well. A pointless waste of time causing some players to be stuck at clubs they don't want top be at and others to go on strike.

It worked for 100 years or so, just get rid of this nonsense.
0 x
Watchout for Spongebob

User avatar
h69
Posts: 3590
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:51 pm
Location: Enfield, Middlesex
x 309
x 212

Re: Witchipoo’s latest column

Post by h69 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:39 pm

andyginbrasil wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:59 pm
hd1 wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:28 pm

skysports-graphic-transfers_4740247.png

£44.5m net spend, less £7m for Chicha makes it £37.5m
Sky Sports..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
I don't see why people get so obsessed with Net Spend. I'd rather look at the players coming in and how they fit in. Some of the best players over the years have been on the cheaper side and some flops have been expensive.
1 x
Watchout for Spongebob

User avatar
palerider
Posts: 8092
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:35 am
Location: A small village on Mars just outside the capital city, Wibble
x 313
x 766

Re: Witchipoo’s latest column

Post by palerider » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:40 pm

I still think of her when I'm up the mystic sheep.
1 x
The cheque's in the post. Honestly.

User avatar
Brookbonds73
Posts: 5365
Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 2:34 am
x 270
x 500

Re: Witchipoo’s latest column

Post by Brookbonds73 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:14 pm

palerider wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:40 pm
I still think of her when I'm up the mystic sheep.
I've just unloaded.
0 x
Love a cup of Rosey I do.

User avatar
Whiskyman
Posts: 8014
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:05 pm
x 137
x 678

Re: Witchipoo’s latest column

Post by Whiskyman » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:11 pm

h69 wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:39 pm
andyginbrasil wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:59 pm


Sky Sports..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
I don't see why people get so obsessed with Net Spend. I'd rather look at the players coming in and how they fit in. Some of the best players over the years have been on the cheaper side and some flops have been expensive.
I'm sure Norwich's supporters weren't obsessing over net spend last Saturday. And as you say some of our most expensive buys when they were made have been our worst acquisitions. Carroll and Dyer come instantly to mind.

And not just our club of course. Paul Pogba & Mesut Ozil. Value for money ?
0 x
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

User avatar
Gonzo
Posts: 6950
Joined: Sat May 28, 2016 8:13 pm
x 637
x 409

Re: Witchipoo’s latest column

Post by Gonzo » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:19 am

Neville Bartos wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:07 am
The trick is to have a couple of people join and leave for undisclosed fees. That way the net spend waters are muddied enough that no-one really knows how far under or over the club actually is. The best we can say is we're in the ballpark of £30m net. However that's such a small sum that +/- 5 or 10 million makes a huge difference. What is fact though is that wage bill has been slashed. Getting Hernandez off the books has saved £7m in wages. Add that to a £7m fee. And even if your net spend was £40m you're back down to £26m. Not of course that the club will count those saved wages.

And all the others like Carroll & Perez who were on a combined £170k p/w
0 x

User avatar
mkhammer
Posts: 4408
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 11:12 am
x 239
x 278

Re: Witchipoo’s latest column

Post by mkhammer » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:12 am

Gonzo wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:19 am
Neville Bartos wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:07 am
The trick is to have a couple of people join and leave for undisclosed fees. That way the net spend waters are muddied enough that no-one really knows how far under or over the club actually is. The best we can say is we're in the ballpark of £30m net. However that's such a small sum that +/- 5 or 10 million makes a huge difference. What is fact though is that wage bill has been slashed. Getting Hernandez off the books has saved £7m in wages. Add that to a £7m fee. And even if your net spend was £40m you're back down to £26m. Not of course that the club will count those saved wages.

And all the others like Carroll & Perez who were on a combined £170k p/w
Thing that gets me is...we should be happy getting a really good looking side together this year,and
"Balancing the Books"...Even being financially more stable...less expenditure...it's good business
acumen.
Should put the Club in a more secure place...with money available in the kitty if we need it...BUT..
Because our Owners,aren't strictly truthful and honest with us...it has the opposite effect...we see
them/it as been done for purely commercial reasons to suit themselves not the Club itself.

It's a real Shame....
But they're not the first of our owners to put their own interests before the actual club.
0 x

User avatar
h69
Posts: 3590
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:51 pm
Location: Enfield, Middlesex
x 309
x 212

Re: Witchipoo’s latest column

Post by h69 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:15 am

mkhammer wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:12 am
Gonzo wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:19 am



And all the others like Carroll & Perez who were on a combined £170k p/w
Thing that gets me is...we should be happy getting a really good looking side together this year,and
"Balancing the Books"...Even being financially more stable...less expenditure...it's good business
acumen.
Should put the Club in a more secure place...with money available in the kitty if we need it...BUT..
Because our Owners,aren't strictly truthful and honest with us...it has the opposite effect...we see
them/it as been done for purely commercial reasons to suit themselves not the Club itself.

It's a real Shame....
But they're not the first of our owners to put their own interests before the actual club.
Thats our fault though as fans. I think people read too much into it all and try and manage the club and it just gets them all hot under the collar.

Personally I just look at what we have in the squad and how well they fit together and dont really care how much anyone costs or resale values, Net Spend and all that bollocks. None of us know all the details anyway so better channel the aggression into the opposition on a Saturday instead.
0 x
Watchout for Spongebob

User avatar
Whiskyman
Posts: 8014
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:05 pm
x 137
x 678

Re: Witchipoo’s latest column

Post by Whiskyman » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:21 pm

h69 wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:15 am
mkhammer wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:12 am


Thing that gets me is...we should be happy getting a really good looking side together this year,and
"Balancing the Books"...Even being financially more stable...less expenditure...it's good business
acumen.
Should put the Club in a more secure place...with money available in the kitty if we need it...BUT..
Because our Owners,aren't strictly truthful and honest with us...it has the opposite effect...we see
them/it as been done for purely commercial reasons to suit themselves not the Club itself.

It's a real Shame....
But they're not the first of our owners to put their own interests before the actual club.
Thats our fault though as fans. I think people read too much into it all and try and manage the club and it just gets them all hot under the collar.

Personally I just look at what we have in the squad and how well they fit together and dont really care how much anyone costs or resale values, Net Spend and all that bollocks. None of us know all the details anyway so better channel the aggression into the opposition on a Saturday instead.
Not sure I agree with that tbh. Quite a few on here have had experience running businesses so know our way round corporate financial issues and so on but, to my knowledge at least, none of us has had any experience of coaching or building a premier league football team. (Cue for some smartass saying they won the Champions League with Chelmsford City on FIFA).

So resale values and the like are a very important aspect of running a club like ours. And more importantly so are issues like ensuring the "back office" functions, like ticketing, work properly. Which is another area which has got people hot under the collar. And with some justification.

It is the responsibility of a Board of Directors to ensure the company they run is efficient and profitable. Unfortunately where there is effectively no ultimate accountability to shareholders the normal checks and balances tend not to apply.
0 x
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

User avatar
mkhammer
Posts: 4408
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 11:12 am
x 239
x 278

Re: Witchipoo’s latest column

Post by mkhammer » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:56 pm

h69 wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:15 am
mkhammer wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:12 am


Thing that gets me is...we should be happy getting a really good looking side together this year,and
"Balancing the Books"...Even being financially more stable...less expenditure...it's good business
acumen.
Should put the Club in a more secure place...with money available in the kitty if we need it...BUT..
Because our Owners,aren't strictly truthful and honest with us...it has the opposite effect...we see
them/it as been done for purely commercial reasons to suit themselves not the Club itself.

It's a real Shame....
But they're not the first of our owners to put their own interests before the actual club.
Thats our fault though as fans. I think people read too much into it all and try and manage the club and it just gets them all hot under the collar.

Personally I just look at what we have in the squad and how well they fit together and dont really care how much anyone costs or resale values, Net Spend and all that bollocks. None of us know all the details anyway so better channel the aggression into the opposition on a Saturday instead.
Nah same as mate...never let my love of watching the Irons be broken by anything,on that side
of things....but still interested and want to know whats going on...it's my club as much as theirs,
moreso in my humble.....and chipped in,like all of us to keep the club knocking around the
top level...all our fivers...tenners..twenties...£50s plus now... :lol: have kept the club going.
Basically feel like a shareholder...so the owners are answerable to us in a way...IMO..

The thing that gets me is/was the "we're doing this as fans" Spiel
When it was the stadium and business opportunity that was first and foremost in their minds,
that they had a connection to us...Mr Gold anyway, was an added bonus...
The stuff they came out with,Bugs me at times,but like I said we've not had any owners that have
put the club first,and the Business side of us has always been dodgy to say the least,and if I'm
honest prob been a lot worse than now...it's all out in the open now...wasn't before..

But the love of footie should always be the priority...as it is with most of us...we just like
a fuckin good moan..... :lol:
0 x

Post Reply

Social Media