Aston Villa vs West Ham Official Match Thread

Chat about anything football related here!
palerider
Location: A small village on Mars just outside the capital city, Wibble

Re: Aston Villa vs West Ham Official Match Thread

Post by palerider » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:32 am

Whiskyman wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:21 am
palerider wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:22 am

Agree, Wilshire should have been introduced.
Don't think that would have made much difference tbh. Problem wasn't the personnel but the fact the midfield didn't lend any support to Haller. Whether that was a tactical instruction or not , fuck knows, but it certainly made for a pretty sterile match. Anderson & Lanzini are potential match winners but neither showed any imagination in offensive situations.
I personally thought that it needed someone to play the final decisive pass. Lanzini is great running with the ball but often isn't aware of who's in the best position. Anderson just had one of those nights.
0 x
The cheque's in the post. Honestly.

Rumford

Post by Rumford » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:57 am

Disagree with people asking for Wilshere, we were moving the ball far too slowly in the first half anyway.

We need to work on quick passes through midfield and defo need some more energy in there too.
0 x

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:27 am

palerider wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:32 am
Whiskyman wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:21 am

Don't think that would have made much difference tbh. Problem wasn't the personnel but the fact the midfield didn't lend any support to Haller. Whether that was a tactical instruction or not , fuck knows, but it certainly made for a pretty sterile match. Anderson & Lanzini are potential match winners but neither showed any imagination in offensive situations.
I personally thought that it needed someone to play the final decisive pass. Lanzini is great running with the ball but often isn't aware of who's in the best position. Anderson just had one of those nights.

True. But the "final decisive pass" also involves someone being in position to take advantage of it. Villa had obviously identified Haller as the main threat and he was closely marked and we had no one pushing up sufficiently to give him support and options.

I'm putting it down to a game a bit like Brighton. We were fucking shit. But that's two games where we've been fucking shit and haven't lost. In a perverse sort of way I'm quite pleased with that. ;)
0 x
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

IronsForever

Post by IronsForever » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:39 pm

Whiskyman wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:27 am
palerider wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:32 am

True. But the "final decisive pass" also involves someone being in position to take advantage of it. Villa had obviously identified Haller as the main threat and he was closely marked and we had no one pushing up sufficiently to give him support and options.

I'm putting it down to a game a bit like Brighton. We were fucking shit. But that's two games where we've been fucking shit and haven't lost. In a perverse sort of way I'm quite pleased with that. ;)
Which is why Pellegrini needs to send that 2nd striker on sometimes. There are games like this one where 2 strikers would be a decent option. Ajet with Haller. Lanzini and Anderson in behind. Noble and Rice holding the mid. Ajet would also take some heat off Haller. Shame we havent got that 2nd striker on par with Haller.. Thats one huge advantage Arsenal have at the moment. Calum Wilson and Haller up top would be a mouth watering partnership.
0 x
Come On You Irons!!!!!!!!!!

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:51 pm

IronsForever wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:39 pm
Whiskyman wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:27 am

Which is why Pellegrini needs to send that 2nd striker on sometimes. There are games like this one where 2 strikers would be a decent option. Ajet with Haller. Lanzini and Anderson in behind. Noble and Rice holding the mid. Ajet would also take some heat off Haller. Shame we havent got that 2nd striker on par with Haller.. Thats one huge advantage Arsenal have at the moment. Calum Wilson and Haller up top would be a mouth watering partnership.
You make a valid point about the second striker option. But you can stick Calum Wilson where the sun doesn't shine. The fee Bournemouth were alleged to be looking for him was a total joke. Probably the most over rated player in the PL, at least based on the value his club place on him.

I'm generally happy enough with the one striker but when our midfield decides to take a collective night off, like on Monday, it doesn't work.
0 x
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

Flairon

Post by Flairon » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:36 am

IronsForever wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:18 pm
terrya1965 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:51 pm

For the quality Everton have got,they have been disappointing.
Bournemouth survive each season comfortably because of their home form. Like Terry said, well disappointing Everton were.Tough league when you are not on your game. Watford took the piss out of Arsenal 2nd half yesterday.
Yes they did. TBH, I thought Arsenal took the lead against the run of play.
0 x
Flairon

Social Media