As were seemingly Europe Bound we should consider...

Chat about anything football related here!
IronsForever

Re: As were seemingly Europe Bound we should consider...

Post by IronsForever » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:40 pm

I,d love us to sneak into Europa league only for the fact that the twins would need to strengthen the squad . Haller desperately needs a decent partner and we need a Mason Mount in midfield.
Pellegrini,s last season next year and with his reported wages being 3rd highest in the league. 7 Million a year i doubt the twins will keep him on once a decent squad formed by Pelle and Hulios has been established. If they do extend his contract we would deffo need to qualify for Europa this season or next to justify the wages.
0 x
Come On You Irons!!!!!!!!!!

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:10 pm

Ibbyham wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:42 pm
To be honest, West Ham need at least 25 players altogether with top youth players of U21 with strong in depth FIRST before going to Europe, otherwise, a repeat of 2006-07 and 2016-17 when we went to Europe and our league was very poor, SIMPLY because our strength in dept is WEAK and now still WEAK as shown against Oxford.

Need to get at least 6 stronger players next summer to push us to top 6 level side while keep the top 11 in our squad with around 4 to 5 young players such as Holland, Kemp, Silva, Coventry, Diangara, Trott and Scully hopefully to push up themselves to their next level up higher.

Need to build up strength FIRST, then compete in Europe. That is the WEST HAM WAY :lol: :lol: :lol:

This seeason, we are NOT READY YET as strength in depth are still WEAK.

I would predict West Ham to finish around 8th to 10th but not higher.
Problem with that strategy, which is basically correct, though is that the players who are ready, willing and able will probably get tired of waiting and move on to clubs already playing European football.

I'm very envious of the youth set up Chelsea seem to have developed. They have 4 players from their academy who were in the starting line up and 2 on the bench in their game against Southampton today. Plus Zouma who joined them when he was about 20 so is almost home grown.

Clubs at our level need to recruit better quality young players to avoid paying the massive transfer fees to attract the top talent imo. The advantage we have, and others like us, is that we should be able to offer the right quality kids a faster route to the first team. Phil Foden for example would be a regular if he was at virtually any club other than Manchester City.
0 x
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

BCHammer

Post by BCHammer » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:22 pm

We should have gone third.

Instead we are eighth.

If we remain that inconsistent, complacent, or whatever it is, then we will be lucky to stay there.

Liverpool & City are top two, and the rest is beginning to take shape. I think Arsenal will be third, with Chelsea and Leicester scrapping for fourth. Wolves showed today they are still the real deal.

Then theres them, they will be up there current tribulations aside.

If OGS remains at the wheel, thats Utd out of the running and Palace & Burnley will probably drop off. Or they may not, Burnley did it two seasons ago, no reason why they can't again. And Ollie will probably lose his license before things spiral much further out of control.

Lots of assumption we will even be top 10 unless our big $$$ players pull their socks up week in week out.
0 x

Ibbyham

Post by Ibbyham » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:14 pm

Whiskyman wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:10 pm
Ibbyham wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:42 pm
To be honest, West Ham need at least 25 players altogether with top youth players of U21 with strong in depth FIRST before going to Europe, otherwise, a repeat of 2006-07 and 2016-17 when we went to Europe and our league was very poor, SIMPLY because our strength in dept is WEAK and now still WEAK as shown against Oxford.

Need to get at least 6 stronger players next summer to push us to top 6 level side while keep the top 11 in our squad with around 4 to 5 young players such as Holland, Kemp, Silva, Coventry, Diangara, Trott and Scully hopefully to push up themselves to their next level up higher.

Need to build up strength FIRST, then compete in Europe. That is the WEST HAM WAY :lol: :lol: :lol:

This seeason, we are NOT READY YET as strength in depth are still WEAK.

I would predict West Ham to finish around 8th to 10th but not higher.
Problem with that strategy, which is basically correct, though is that the players who are ready, willing and able will probably get tired of waiting and move on to clubs already playing European football.

I'm very envious of the youth set up Chelsea seem to have developed. They have 4 players from their academy who were in the starting line up and 2 on the bench in their game against Southampton today. Plus Zouma who joined them when he was about 20 so is almost home grown.

Clubs at our level need to recruit better quality young players to avoid paying the massive transfer fees to attract the top talent imo. The advantage we have, and others like us, is that we should be able to offer the right quality kids a faster route to the first team. Phil Foden for example would be a regular if he was at virtually any club other than Manchester City.
Totally agreed mate, need more stronger youth players or buy young players from other clubs.
0 x

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:30 am

BCHammer wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:22 pm
We should have gone third.

Instead we are eighth.

If we remain that inconsistent, complacent, or whatever it is, then we will be lucky to stay there.

Liverpool & City are top two, and the rest is beginning to take shape. I think Arsenal will be third, with Chelsea and Leicester scrapping for fourth. Wolves showed today they are still the real deal.

Then theres them, they will be up there current tribulations aside.

If OGS remains at the wheel, thats Utd out of the running and Palace & Burnley will probably drop off. Or they may not, Burnley did it two seasons ago, no reason why they can't again. And Ollie will probably lose his license before things spiral much further out of control.

Lots of assumption we will even be top 10 unless our big $$$ players pull their socks up week in week out.
I predicted at the start of the season that 4 of the so called "Big 6" could possibly struggle to stay Top 6. Two haven't disappointed me so far but Arsenal, and particularly Chelsea, look like stuffing my words back down my throat.

Our problem of course is that we've only played one serious player so far and we all know what happened in that match.

Worryingly against Palace although we played some pretty stuff at times it was pretty powder puff and we really struggled to break down their blanket defence. For me, again a bit of a worry, is the only time we've played what I'd call well was against the relegation certainties that are Norwich. To their credit they came and tried to play football and we were better at it than them. But if teams saw what Palace did to us and copy it we are going to have to find some solutions.

Haller needs support so unless Lanzini pulls his finger out sharpish I'd like to see Fornals used in the role he played with Villarreal as main support to Haller.

I watched most of the second half of the Man City v Wolves game and tbh if I had to watch Wolves every week I'd give up football and take up watching fucking bowls. They defended very well, Allardyce style, and broke away to score a goal about 15 mins from the end with basically their only attack. Didn't see the second goal which must have come very late indeed. So real deal ? Not sure tbh. Last season they got some good results against the top teams, presumably playing the same Moyesadyce football, but some of their results against the lesser teams were none too clever.
0 x
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

Ibbyham

Post by Ibbyham » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:48 pm

If you look at Burnley and Wolves whom both went to Europa, their League form suffered, especially Burnley last season and were lucky to survive as we did in 2006-17 and 2016-17. Wolves started picking up form, especially an impressive 2-0 win at Peppa Pig's Garden. Wolves have more strength in dept than Burnley so we need more stronger in depth next summer BEFORE we go to Europe.
0 x

Social Media