Weird by the Bookies.

Chat about anything football related here!

terrya1965

Weird by the Bookies.

Post by terrya1965 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:58 pm

Now,I don't think we have a cats hell's chance of winning the PL,but how are Watford(bottom) & Southampton half our price?We are rank outsiders too :shock:

https://m.skybet.com/football/premier-l ... t/23792469
0 x

terrya1965

Re: Weird by the Bookies.

Post by terrya1965 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:02 am

It may change by the morning,so if it does..Here is the prices at 12 midnight.

Southampton 2,500/1
Watford 2,500/1
West Ham 5,000/1
0 x

IronsForever

Post by IronsForever » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:17 am

terrya1965 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:02 am
It may change by the morning,so if it does..Here is the prices at 12 midnight.

Southampton 2,500/1
Watford 2,500/1
West Ham 5,000/1
Don,t think it matters, can double or treble those odds anyway. Just numbers picked from the top of a wooden head.
0 x
Come On You Irons!!!!!!!!!!

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:52 am

terrya1965 wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:58 pm
Now,I don't think we have a cats hell's chance of winning the PL,but how are Watford(bottom) & Southampton half our price?We are rank outsiders too :shock:

There's people on here, yes I mean you MKHammer, better equipped to answer that question but I would guess it's to do with the amount of bets placed on the particular team. One of the reasons when there's a World Cup or a Euro Championship the odds on England winning are much more attractive with foreign based bookies. Or so I've been told by people who know about these things. ;)

I would guess there's more money been staked on Watford winning the league than West Ham. Although why anybody would back either club to actually win the bloody thing has got me confused.

Cue MK to come and either confirm that or tell me I'm talking bollocks as usual. :lol:
0 x
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

Mikeveep

Post by Mikeveep » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:06 am

I think you've grasped it Whisky....

I guess there are a few fans who regularly put a token £10 or £20 on at the beginning of each season and there are more of these idi.,.'err, fans from Watford and Leicester than there are from West Ham at the moment. It's all about " rounding off" their book.

So if there were no bets on Liverpool Bookies would put their price out, but not to such extreme odds, to attract money.

They attract an amount of money so they win whichever Team wins the contest.

The only time they might lose is if a flood of money comes in for a particular team very late so they arent able to "balance their books"
0 x

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:07 am

Whiskyman wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:52 am
terrya1965 wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:58 pm

There's people on here, yes I mean you MKHammer, better equipped to answer that question but I would guess it's to do with the amount of bets placed on the particular team. One of the reasons when there's a World Cup or a Euro Championship the odds on England winning are much more attractive with foreign based bookies. Or so I've been told by people who know about these things. ;)

I would guess there's more money been staked on Watford winning the league than West Ham. Although why anybody would back either club to actually win the bloody thing has got me confused.

Cue MK to come and either confirm that or tell me I'm talking bollocks as usual. :lol:
Yeah your right, Mike summed it it up Weight of money going on a bet usually dictates the odds,
if one of us had a ton on the hammers to win....first of all put the bottle down take a breathe.. :lol:
odds would prob come into 1000/1 or so...

Bookies can also dictate the odds....if they have a big liability on a certain bet,say to lose 200 Grand,
they'll back it themselves to pull the odds in and narrow their liability to say 75 Gs...lay out 5 Gs
to save 25..if it wins of course....if it loses,they're just the 5 grand down,so they collect 15 instead
of 20 from stakes...a win/win for them still..

Theres a shit load of stuff going on with Bookies we don't see....they're businesses in it to make
as much as poss,however they can..
0 x

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:14 am

mkhammer wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:07 am
Whiskyman wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:52 am

Yeah your right, Mike summed it it up Weight of money going on a bet usually dictates the odds,
if one of us had a ton on the hammers to win....first of all put the bottle down take a breathe.. :lol:
odds would prob come into 1000/1 or so...

Bookies can also dictate the odds....if they have a big liability on a certain bet,say to lose 200 Grand,
they'll back it themselves to pull the odds in and narrow their liability to say 75 Gs...lay out 5 Gs
to save 25..if it wins of course....if it loses,they're just the 5 grand down,so they collect 15 instead
of 20 from stakes...a win/win for them still..

Theres a shit load of stuff going on with Bookies we don't see....they're businesses in it to make
as much as poss,however they can..
I know that mate. Found out a lot about the betting game a few years back when grabbing all the free bets using the matched betting strategy. Now that was worth getting into. ;)
0 x
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:51 pm

Yeah Arbitrage betting as I mentioned elsewhere.

You can still win with that strategy to this day but opportunities are getting rarer & rarer as the bookies wise up.

Of course you have to front up the stake money yourself but if you have it and you’re self disciplined then you literally cannot lose.
0 x
I hate Thrush he’s an irritating Cunt .

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:06 pm

Newmarket wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:51 pm
Yeah Arbitrage betting as I mentioned elsewhere.

You can still win with that strategy to this day but opportunities are getting rarer & rarer as the bookies wise up.

Of course you have to front up the stake money yourself but if you have it and you’re self disciplined then you literally cannot lose.
Arbitrage betting only works if you can find odds (or have the software to do it) that guarantee you'll make a profit whatever the outcome. And you need a shedload of money to make that profitable.

The thing I did many years ago was matched betting. That's the one where a bookie offers an introductory bonus (say £50 in bets if you wager £50). You basically make the bet with the bookie and then lay the bet with an exchange like S-Markets. Then your account is credited with £50 and you repeat the process to trouser the Wonga. I made about £1k doing that a few years back but once the introductory offers are used up you pack up the tents and go home. Still worth doing for anyone that hasn't done it though----but watch out for some of the offer that nowadays have pages of small print.
0 x

Social Media