Fornals

Chat about anything football related here!
Towie

Re: Fornals

Post by Towie » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:04 pm

Whiskyman wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:27 am
terrya1965 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:23 am

Hopefully Moyes can put some confidence in the lad and we might see him score some goals.
I don't know how many minutes he's got under his belt but whenever he has come into the side we've been struggling so it's very unfair to rush to judgment imo.
Some believe on here if you are not scoring and assisting every game you are shit.

Dagenham Dave assessed Fornals as shit after a few games, no explanation just Shit. That is what our layers have to contend with week in week out.

I’m no fan of Moyes but if he can keep those players levels up as per Bournemouth game then he will win me over.
2 x
It’s not what you do it is the way that you do it.

Mancunian Hammer

Post by Mancunian Hammer » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:16 pm

Towie wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:04 pm
Whiskyman wrote:

I don't know how many minutes he's got under his belt but whenever he has come into the side we've been struggling so it's very unfair to rush to judgment imo.
Some believe on here if you are not scoring and assisting every game you are shit.

Dagenham Dave assessed Fornals as shit after a few games, no explanation just Shit. That is what our layers have to contend with week in week out.

I’m no fan of Moyes but if he can keep those players levels up as per Bournemouth game then he will win me over.
He had a very poor start. The thing is a number of our players have been poor this season. Haller for me has been largely poor, Anderson too, however they are not shit. Despite our poor form we have some decent personnel. It would be unfair to say a player is shit unless you can substantiate it, except in the case of Roberto
2 x

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:16 pm

Towie wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:04 pm
Whiskyman wrote:

After a few games ?? There were some happy to write him off after a couple of substitute appearances after he missed a presentable chance. Against Villa I seem to remember.
0 x
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

Castiron

Post by Castiron » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:45 pm

I love this kid. :D
0 x

jhammers

Post by jhammers » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:39 pm

Has become one of my favorite players. Had a tough start but didn't hide, he kept going and is starting to settle! Attitude is brilliant.

whufc_crest
2 x

Hammertime

Post by Hammertime » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:21 pm

Absolutely love how our patient fan base nurtures young foreign players and allows them the time to adjust to league, language, society etc. before judging them! Really sets us apart from the the mongs on other team’s pages, who just lambast them as shit after a few months in the prem!
1 x
Patriotism, like celibacy, can be carried too far!

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:38 pm

Hammertime wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:21 pm
Absolutely love how our patient fan base nurtures young foreign players and allows them the time to adjust to league, language, society etc. before judging them! Really sets us apart from the the mongs on other team’s pages, who just lambast them as shit after a few months in the prem!
If only that was true mate. :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

dagenhamdave

Post by dagenhamdave » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:36 am

I stand corrected at the moment with Fornals, but I always feel we chase too many Foreign players trying to get a bargain, when only occasionally it works. When you buy any player with no Pl experience, you always take a chance, as a few seasons ago when we bought about a dozen of them, that worked out well didn't it, what's ZaZa the onloan player doing now.

Nothing against Fornals personally, as a WH supporter I hope he does well, as I do ALL the players, I just feel we should try and get a few more PL players if possible, not ALL foreigners, so they can hit the ground running a lot quicker. Many people including me do not think the quality of players under MP brought in have been that good considering how many millions have been spent. MP had a dream, but never had the quality of players to fulfil it, hence he struggled and got the sack. Maybe Fornals will be the shining exception.

Go further back a few years and look at our history of buying players, very few quality players in all that time.
0 x

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:23 am

dagenhamdave wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:36 am
I stand corrected at the moment with Fornals, but I always feel we chase too many Foreign players trying to get a bargain, when only occasionally it works. When you buy any player with no Pl experience, you always take a chance, as a few seasons ago when we bought about a dozen of them, that worked out well didn't it, what's ZaZa the onloan player doing now.

Nothing against Fornals personally, as a WH supporter I hope he does well, as I do ALL the players, I just feel we should try and get a few more PL players if possible, not ALL foreigners, so they can hit the ground running a lot quicker. Many people including me do not think the quality of players under MP brought in have been that good considering how many millions have been spent. MP had a dream, but never had the quality of players to fulfil it, hence he struggled and got the sack. Maybe Fornals will be the shining exception.

Go further back a few years and look at our history of buying players, very few quality players in all that time.
You make a valid point. But isn't it always a risk signing a player? Generally speaking our transfer dealings since I've supported the club have been, on balance, pretty crap. Foreign and home grown. In fact probably our biggest waste of money expenditures have been Dyer, Carroll and now Wilshere. And let's not forget Dean Ashton also had a pretty shocking fitness record when we signed him, although of course we got a lot more from him when he was fit than the 3 wasters I've mentioned.

Unfortunately it's a fact of life that established players of genuine quality don't want to come to clubs like West Ham. And even if they did they would be way outside our transfer budget. So we have to look for bargains and, because of the price premium put on home grown players, those bargains can often only be found overseas.

It would be great if we could go into the market and sign players at the peak of a glittering career. But to do that the whole profile of the club has to be raised. Many years back I met one of our former players, a Redknapp signing, who had played at the top level for a top club and had played for England, although only once. He spoke about his career and, as well as being bloody good company and entertaining, made one very revealing remark. He said that players who had played at the top and were "on the slide" as he put it, saw clubs like West Ham (and there's very many of them) as a good source of pressure free income. The only aspiration was that the club didn't get relegated. It was a kind of holiday camp mentality.

And I would guess there are a heck of a lot of clubs where that same ethos applies. As for Zaza btw since leaving us he's played for Valencia where he featured in the Champions League and is now back playing in Italy. And he has been called into the Italian national squad by Roberto Mancini. So maybe he wasn't such a bad player but suffered because je was playing with some right old pony. when he was at our place ;)
1 x

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:40 am

I like him a lot, really pleased we have him....But have to admit ..me as manager at the time would
have used the money on a different type of MFer...the type were all crying out for,the Henderson
type player.. an Mfer that can play anywhere, a box to boxer..

But in saying that,if he has that in him...hopefully Moyes will find it..
1 x

Social Media