Read all about it!

Chat about anything football related here!
Castiron

Re: Read all about it!

Post by Castiron » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:55 pm

0 x

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:01 pm

Castiron wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:55 pm
Paulo puts the boot in too :D
https://www.hammers.news/club-news/paol ... cmp_open=1
I think all this harking back to "the good old days" of Upton Park aren't doing any good to the current GSB out campaign.

Upton Park is like the fucking dodo. It's extinct. And in any case the place was never the fucking fortress some people claim it to have been. But even if it was it ain't there any more. Deal with it.

Doesn't take anything away from the ineptitude of the board, but it was a decision taken with a lot of fans in favour of the move. There is no longer any point wittering on about how we should never have left. We did and we can't move back.

Accept that fact , continue to pull up the board at every opportunity, but FFS keep it relevant to 2020.
3 x
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

ToneLoc

Post by ToneLoc » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:55 pm

Whiskyman wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:01 pm
Castiron wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:55 pm
Paulo puts the boot in too :D
https://www.hammers.news/club-news/paol ... cmp_open=1
I think all this harking back to "the good old days" of Upton Park aren't doing any good to the current GSB out campaign.

Upton Park is like the fucking dodo. It's extinct. And in any case the place was never the fucking fortress some people claim it to have been. But even if it was it ain't there any more. Deal with it.

Doesn't take anything away from the ineptitude of the board, but it was a decision taken with a lot of fans in favour of the move. There is no longer any point wittering on about how we should never have left. We did and we can't move back.

Accept that fact , continue to pull up the board at every opportunity, but FFS keep it relevant to 2020.
Not sure.
I think the U.P > L.S move is irrelevant when it comes to anything relating to negotiation because it’s never going to be on the table.
However, it has been the single most powerful factor for amassing numbers, arousing passion & anger and has been at the root of many a mainstream media story.

So, in practical/pragmatic terms of negotiation, you’re quite right that it’s a moot point.
But, imo it’s still a highly powerful motivating force that’s helping to drive such a powerful anti-board message..... regardless of whether someone’s agenda is demand for better, GSB Out or just enjoying giving the bastards a hard time.
0 x
Jurgen Klopp’s teeth are giving me a migraine

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:01 pm

ToneLoc wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:55 pm
Whiskyman wrote:

Not sure.
I think the U.P > L.S move is irrelevant when it comes to anything relating to negotiation because it’s never going to be on the table.
However, it has been the single most powerful factor for amassing numbers, arousing passion & anger and has been at the root of many a mainstream media story.

So, in practical/pragmatic terms of negotiation, you’re quite right that it’s a moot point.
But, imo it’s still a highly powerful motivating force that’s helping to drive such a powerful anti-board message..... regardless of whether someone’s agenda is demand for better, GSB Out or just enjoying giving the bastards a hard time.
Disagree Tone. If there is any evidence, as has been hinted at in some quarters, of any financial wrongdoing in the sale of the ground to, I think, Galliard Homes and the subsequent sale by them to Barratt London then that should obviously be investigated.

However I think there is a lot of crap being spoken about the move tbh, The main, and very justified, criticism is the old retractable seating chestnut. The bullshit spouted by the Dildo Brothers about European and World domination may have been aspirations, not promises, but that can't be said about the retractable seating can it ?

But that said a great many of our fans, myself included, welcomed the move. In fact as I've said before, I think we should have moved to Becton when we had the chance, at a knock down price, many tears back. Had we done that we'd probably never have seen the Dildo Brothers because the acquisition of the LS wouldn't have been the opportunity they saw and grasped.

But the single most powerful factor for amassing numbers, arousing passion & anger ? . Don't think so tbh. If the club was currently, as suggested by the Dildos, becoming a force in the game I feel absolutely certain there wouldn't have been any ongoing issues about the move. It's a results business and fan reactions in 99% of cases are driven by results.
0 x
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

ToneLoc

Post by ToneLoc » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:10 pm

Whiskyman wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:01 pm
ToneLoc wrote:

Not sure.

Disagree Tone. If there is any evidence, as has been hinted at in some quarters, of any financial wrongdoing in the sale of the ground to, I think, Galliard Homes and the subsequent sale by them to Barratt London then that should obviously be investigated.

However I think there is a lot of crap being spoken about the move tbh, The main, and very justified, criticism is the old retractable seating chestnut. The bullshit spouted by the Dildo Brothers about European and World domination may have been aspirations, not promises, but that can't be said about the retractable seating can it ?

But that said a great many of our fans, myself included, welcomed the move. In fact as I've said before, I think we should have moved to Becton when we had the chance, at a knock down price, many tears back. Had we done that we'd probably never have seen the Dildo Brothers because the acquisition of the LS wouldn't have been the opportunity they saw and grasped.

But the single most powerful factor for amassing numbers, arousing passion & anger ? . Don't think so tbh. If the club was currently, as suggested by the Dildos, becoming a force in the game I feel absolutely certain there wouldn't have been any ongoing issues about the move. It's a results business and fan reactions in 99% of cases are driven by results.
Completely agree that the dire top to bottom state of the “football” is the catalyst to the unrest.
The stadium move clearly isn’t the catalyst otherwise where was that when things were going relatively well last season?
My point is that the stadium move becomes the iconic centre-piece for anti-board sentiment when the football, as often it does turns to shite.
I would say that I’m relatively in-touch with the current groundswell and from my viewpoint there’s at least as much anger at leaving Upton Park as there is our current league position. The latter appears to spur on the former.

Do I know this for certain? Of course not, none of us do.
Perhaps my earlier highlighted point was a little presumptuous ;)
0 x

Castiron

Post by Castiron » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:40 pm

ToneLoc wrote:
Whiskyman wrote:

Not sure.

I'd agree with that.
0 x

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:43 pm

I agree with Whiskyman,that we had to move away,if we were to progress,has a Football Club.

Upton Park was home to me and my family for at least 5 Generations.I had been going since 1971.I loved certain pre match rituals like a pint in the Boleyn and a trip to Papa's Chicken with the kids,before that having a beer with my brothers and mates.It then become more and more a chore to park around there.Before this Millennium,I could park 5 minutes away.

For me,the old lady died,when it become an all seater.Was never the same atmosphere,like most other grounds.We had a few great nights,(Man U,last Game and Ipswich Play Off Semi),but not like the plenty we had under the lights when standing.

Trouble is G & S sold us many a lie and now we rent an Athletics Stadium and have not moved on has a Club at all,like we all thought we would.If we'd have brought it and converted it properly,it would have been different.Of course,you'd have got your moaners,but not half of the unrest we have now.

There is so much that the board have done wrong,but I really think the Stadium is the big white elephant for the majority of our fans.
Last edited by terrya1965 on Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

ToneLoc

Post by ToneLoc » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:26 pm

0 x

Brookbonds73

Post by Brookbonds73 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:50 pm

ToneLoc wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:26 pm
https://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=134362
I've got no sympathy for these cunts.
They deserve all they're getting and then some.
Long may it continue.
0 x
Love a cup of Rosey I do.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:07 pm

ToneLoc wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:10 pm
Whiskyman wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:01 pm

Completely agree that the dire top to bottom state of the “football” is the catalyst to the unrest.
The stadium move clearly isn’t the catalyst otherwise where was that when things were going relatively well last season?
My point is that the stadium move becomes the iconic centre-piece for anti-board sentiment when the football, as often it does turns to shite.
I would say that I’m relatively in-touch with the current groundswell and from my viewpoint there’s at least as much anger at leaving Upton Park as there is our current league position. The latter appears to spur on the former.

Do I know this for certain? Of course not, none of us do.
Perhaps my earlier highlighted point was a little presumptuous ;)
Tone. I suspect you still attend matches. I don't. So your perceptions are certainly more likely to be accurate that what I might think. But my point, and I think we fundamentally agree on the underlying issues, is that the persistent (as I see it), dewy eyed nostalgic whining about the move is actually deflecting from the salient issue, which is the basic and obvious fact the Dildo Brothers haven't a clue how to run a football club.

Whoever the owners are we cannot ever return to Upton Park. That is an undeniable fact. But it is also highly likely that, no matter who the next owners happen to be, they can hardly prove to be less competent than the present ones. And all I am saying is that business competency is the issue that should be focused on and not some stupid and pointless pining for a mythical golden age. FFS it's not that far back in time and we all know the club's history, apart from a brief spell between 1964 and 1980 and a "one off" in 85/86 has hardly been fucking golden. A fortress ? Upton Park never was that FFS. Any of us who have had season tickets over the past 20 or 30 years will happily attest to that.

Focus on the things that can be improved, not the things that are done and dusted.
1 x

Social Media