How wonky is Sébastien Haller

Chat about anything football related here!
Rick_Deckard

Re: How wonky is Sébastien Haller

Post by Rick_Deckard » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:43 am

"just dont think we've seen the best of him yet"...

how many more players are we going to use that phrase on...season after season, player after player...terminal ennui has set in
0 x

h69

Post by h69 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:53 am

Taansend wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:28 am
He's a good player with a proven track record but he's been West Hammed.
He was a good player in the Bundesliga. That does not make him suited to the Premier League.

if you look at Hernandez, he was the same but never really made it as a starter in the PL and was poor in Spain also. I see Jovic has also struggled in Spain.

The Bundesliga is much different from the premier league. Haller is also not putting in a shift.
0 x

h69

Post by h69 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:55 am

Whiskyman wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:23 pm
h69 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:07 pm

Difference is that his body could not take the way he played but he put the effort in.

Haller had no mobility, lacks effort and is so out of position that he has to constantly try back heels and stuff. And we know he can do it based on the first few games when he could be arsed.
Mate, if you picked any bloke from up and down the country who pays to play the game for fun on Sundays he'd put the effort in. He'd be fucking useless but, by hell, he'd work his cojones off.

I don't blame Carroll for making the most out of the (very) limited talent he possessed but in no other industry in the world would someone like him have enjoyed employment at an extremely high level for as many years as he did. Particularly as his not actually being available for work, probably at least in part being caused by his lifestyle, was a feature of his time as a West Ham player and, it appears, is still the case now.
Cant blame Carroll for signing the contract he was offered, blame the clubs that give him them.

I agree that effort is the norm for most people but apparently Haller cant make an effort. Thats the point, it should be the minimum required.

I agree he is not suited to the PL and struggles to adapt from the Bundesliga, Jovic has at RM as well but he should at least be trying.
0 x

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:00 am

Neville Bartos wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:21 pm
Haller is not a target man, he's not a lone forward, he's not Andy Carroll 2.0.
The mistake we've made here, the mistake we make over and over, is trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.
If we want more from Haller we play him in a two, or even better a three like at Frankfurt.
It's easy to get annoyed with players, but fuck me if the problems at our club don't run a lot deeper.

We've all heard the story Jack Charlton tells about Alf Ramsey telling him that he was picked not because he was the best CB, but because he was the best fit for Ramsey's system.
We don't do this. Too often we compromise and just buy a good player for the sake of buying a good player. And that's Haller.

If we'd bought him and dropped him into an identical, or at least similar, system to that at Frankfurt? That would've been clever, good business, why? Because you're giving a £40m investment the best possible chance to succeed.
What we did was fail to land Gomez. Compromise on Haller. And try to make him play in a system more suited to Gomez.
Of course the good news is that Haller has gone from trying to impersonate Gomez to trying to impersonate Duncan Ferguson. I'm sure it will go very well.
Exactly.

That's what is wrong at our club.There is no strategy in what we do,There is no thought process what so ever.Sorry,there is no thought on who Sullivan buys.He decides everything.A little man,who thinks his playing Football Manager on the PC.His an embarrassment to us :oops:
0 x

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:06 am

h69 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:55 am
Whiskyman wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:23 pm

Mate, if you picked any bloke from up and down the country who pays to play the game for fun on Sundays he'd put the effort in. He'd be fucking useless but, by hell, he'd work his cojones off.

I don't blame Carroll for making the most out of the (very) limited talent he possessed but in no other industry in the world would someone like him have enjoyed employment at an extremely high level for as many years as he did. Particularly as his not actually being available for work, probably at least in part being caused by his lifestyle, was a feature of his time as a West Ham player and, it appears, is still the case now.
Cant blame Carroll for signing the contract he was offered, blame the clubs that give him them.

I agree that effort is the norm for most people but apparently Haller cant make an effort. Thats the point, it should be the minimum required.

I agree he is not suited to the PL and struggles to adapt from the Bundesliga, Jovic has at RM as well but he should at least be trying.
I know from first hand,the medical staff said "Don't sign him".You know there was some little bloke in our boardroom that over ruled them.
0 x

JayK

Post by JayK » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:16 am

I say try him in a front 2 or 3 how he’s used to playing then decide from there. Currently he and half the squad are wonky right now though.

Wonky like a donkey
0 x
COYI!!!

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:25 am

There I was.

At the iconic London Stadium for our cup game against Slav's West Brom (lovely man, shit beard).

Haller had a partner up front. Ok, it was Ajetski, who's rubbish, but he runs around.

Aaaah, methinks. Such effort, however fruitless, will take the pressure off our moody French genius, the shackles will be off and the dogs of war let slip.

He was just as shit. Barely broke into a trot. He doesn't want to be here and is one lazy cunt. On more money a week than 90% of the population earn in a year.
0 x
The cheque's in the post. Honestly.

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:40 am

palerider wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:25 am
There I was.

At the iconic London Stadium for our cup game against Slav's West Brom (lovely man, shit beard).

Haller had a partner up front. Ok, it was Ajetski, who's rubbish, but he runs around.

Aaaah, methinks. Such effort, however fruitless, will take the pressure off our moody French genius, the shackles will be off and the dogs of war let slip.

He was just as shit. Barely broke into a trot. He doesn't want to be here and is one lazy cunt. On more money a week than 90% of the population earn in a year.
Would it be fair to say,after ramping up six goals,the lad declared his genius and retired for the season.
0 x

h69

Post by h69 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:55 am

terrya1965 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:06 am
h69 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:55 am

I know from first hand,the medical staff said "Don't sign him".You know there was some little bloke in our boardroom that over ruled them.
We always do

Same as Dean Ashton (Great player as he was), Paolo Futre, Stuart Robson, Kieron Dyer. All had terrible injury records otherwise they would have gone somewhere better.
Last edited by h69 on Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:55 am

BlackDiamond wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:40 am
palerider wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:25 am
There I was.

Would it be fair to say,after ramping up six goals,the lad declared his genius and retired for the season.
I think that's the case.

I can forgive a lot of things in a footballer. I forgave Ajetski that day as he put the effort in but sadly is to English football what Elton John is to Olympic Ski Jumping.

Haller didn't do a thing.

How we loved 'Arry prancing down the wing. Usually ending with himself and the ball somewhere in the North Bank. But we cockneys love a tryer. Almost as much as jellied eels. Gawd blimey guv'nor. That 'Arry don't arf make me laugh but you got to love him cos he tries don't he ?

You could learn a lot from 'Arry Seb.

And I don't mean large brown envelopes left in the second bin on the left in Sandbanks marina.

Allegedly.
1 x
The cheque's in the post. Honestly.

Social Media