The return of Super Slav

Chat about anything football related here!

Under new owners, would you welcome back Slav?

Yes
26%
No
74%

Total votes: 19

BlackDiamond

Re: The return of Super Slav

Post by BlackDiamond » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:28 am

h69 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:57 am
No.....useless manager that has a shelf life of about 18 months. That pattern the same prior to us at the Turkish and Russian clubs

It is too convenient to say he was undermined by the club...funny how that also seemed to happen at Besiktas and at Lokomotiv Moscow. Also, he bought Hernandez who cant play as a starter in the PL and Gokhan Tore who he constantly tried to buy previously as well.

He is tactically not good enough and I agree, his teams were not fit enough, training was a joke apparently....move on.
He also surfed the high wave that was Dimitri Payet. He was very fortunate to have that moment.

Went a bit off the rails as an ITV world cup pundit,waving his hands about and getting overexcited by his own voice.

Hardly surprising he was slung out in the way he was.
0 x

h69

Post by h69 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:53 am

JayK wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:15 am
h69 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:57 am
No.....useless manager that has a shelf life of about 18 months. That pattern the same prior to us at the Turkish and Russian clubs

It is too convenient to say he was undermined by the club...funny how that also seemed to happen at Besiktas and at Lokomotiv Moscow. Also, he bought Hernandez who cant play as a starter in the PL and Gokhan Tore who he constantly tried to buy previously as well.

He is tactically not good enough and I agree, his teams were not fit enough, training was a joke apparently....move on.
He and many other managers have been undermined by our owners though as they seem to like using our club like a game of football manager.
yes but he failed because he bought the wrong players and could not get the best out of those that he did get right. We were the third club where it went off the rails after a year or so.
0 x

ToneLoc

Post by ToneLoc » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:08 pm

JayK wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:12 am
ToneLoc wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:49 am

Grant you that was a major clanger.
But just about every manager has such perplexing moments of “inspiration”.
Like Pardew and redknapp using harewood and Pearce respectively as right wingers :lol: . They would be a no from me too.
Even “the world’s greatest” at Man City seems to be tinkering to a degree that it’s causing so much head-scratching at The Etihad they’ve had to fumigate it with Head & Shoulders.
0 x
Jurgen Klopp’s teeth are giving me a migraine

JayK

Post by JayK » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:12 pm

ToneLoc wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:08 pm
JayK wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:12 am

Like Pardew and redknapp using harewood and Pearce respectively as right wingers :lol: . They would be a no from me too.
Even “the world’s greatest” at Man City seems to be tinkering to a degree that it’s causing so much head-scratching at The Etihad they’ve had to fumigate it with Head & Shoulders.
Funny how they lose the plot a little ain’t it.
1 x
COYI!!!

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:13 pm

h69 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:01 am
Dagger wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:00 am

agree Moses at cheslski played this position well for a season or so from memory
yes but he was good enough to do it and played very well....although he was not so good for us ....under Bilic !
I thought Moses was very decent for us. A considerably more intelligent player than Antonio. We apparently had an option to buy him at the end of his loan period but declined to exercise it.

If I remember right he missed a sizeable chunk of his season at our place with a hamstring injury.
0 x
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

Shortshanks

Post by Shortshanks » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:28 pm

No. Got lucky one season but like the all the rest over the last 10 years or so didn't sort out the midfield so got the sack as the other 6 or 7 did.
0 x

h69

Post by h69 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:20 pm

Whiskyman wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:13 pm
h69 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:01 am

yes but he was good enough to do it and played very well....although he was not so good for us ....under Bilic !
I thought Moses was very decent for us. A considerably more intelligent player than Antonio. We apparently had an option to buy him at the end of his loan period but declined to exercise it.

If I remember right he missed a sizeable chunk of his season at our place with a hamstring injury.
I thought he started well but played far too cautious for me to be a wing back. If Slav wanted to play a more cautious game then a real full back would have been a better option. At Chelsea he played as a proper wingback and bombed forward a lot more and was more successful. We did not have a decent enough midfield to do that.

That said, I though Slav's experiment of playing Antonio there was also a disaster. Anyone that gives away that many free kicks should never be near our penalty area.
0 x

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:19 pm

h69 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:20 pm
Whiskyman wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:13 pm

I thought he started well but played far too cautious for me to be a wing back. If Slav wanted to play a more cautious game then a real full back would have been a better option. At Chelsea he played as a proper wingback and bombed forward a lot more and was more successful. We did not have a decent enough midfield to do that.

That said, I though Slav's experiment of playing Antonio there was also a disaster. Anyone that gives away that many free kicks should never be near our penalty area.
Antonio's strength is his big plus point. But imo he isn't the sharpest tool in the box. Point him in the direction of the opposition penalty area and tell him to go is about his limit. The sad thing being that in recent games he has been our best (only ?) threat to the opposition. Which sums up our lack of genuine class rather well I'd say.
0 x
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

Mikeveep

Post by Mikeveep » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:29 pm

I think his qualities lends themselves ideally to him being a Wing Back.

He didn't like the idea and it showed..Bilic couldn't convince him otherwise.
0 x

h69

Post by h69 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:44 pm

Mikeveep wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:29 pm
I think his qualities lends themselves ideally to him being a Wing Back.

He didn't like the idea and it showed..Bilic couldn't convince him otherwise.
Too clumsy. if he had better close control and didnt keep careering into people I would agree.
0 x

Social Media