West Ham vs Wolves Official Match Thread

Chat about anything football related here!
h69

Re: West Ham vs Wolves Official Match Thread

Post by h69 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:05 am

Whiskyman wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:32 pm
h69 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:07 pm
Dutch and Spanish leagues called off : https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... atest-news

Most of Europe playing behind closed doors or not at all. In the Premier League, many people will probably have to die before they act. They only postponed the Man City v Arse game because the Arse directors all shook hands with the Olympiakos/Forest Owner.
Do you not think the fear of death is an over reaction ? At least on the currently available statistics. As far as I can see the people who have died in the UK have all had major underlying health issues and, in most cases I believe, been in their 70s and 80s. At the risk of appearing uncaring people in these categories are, statistically, the most vulnerable to death from ANY cause, not just a hitherto unknown virus.

The French authorities decided last night's PSG game would be behind closed doors but it didn't, apparently, stop many Parisiens assembling outside the ground after the result and celebrating their win. And how different are 50 odd thousand attending a sporting event different from the millions who travel on public transport every day ? We all know what the tube is like during peak travel times. Up close and personal is a polite way of putting it.

I actually think now that a few high profile sporting figures and the likes of Tom Hanks have tested positive the media, because of their celebrity status, will probably give regular updates on their "progress". And hopefully this will show people that should they be unfortunate enough to catch the thing they'll be back to full working order within a few days.

Or is that too optimistic a view ?
Given that there are Leicester, Everton, Chelsea and Arsenal players all with Positive tests or likely symptoms, what I think is that this bitch spreads quickly and while the players are unlikely to die from it, there will be many people that do from some of the staff to the public.

Therefore I can understand calling off sport and big gatherings as the country has to try and delay the spread as much as possible
0 x

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:47 am

Whiskyman wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:30 am
terrya1965 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:13 pm

At last,a bit of common sense.
Thanks for the kind words Terry. You've earned yourself some free advice. Every evening when you return home from work (I assume you're younger than me and haven't jacked it all in yet, ask the missus how her day has been , phone the grand children and ask them how their school day has gone, enjoy your dinner, and then sit in front of the box, watch whatever you fancy, and enjoy a large measure of Scotland's (Or Ireland's if you prefer) most palatable alcoholic product.

And you'll be fine. Trust me. I fucking KNOW. ;)

And if you fancy a second measure -----go for it.
I don't think we are too much difference in age..I know you are a bit older than me..I'm 55,(note the username).I have 3 kids(17-34),but no Grandchildren yet.Quite happy with that.Rather they get stable lives first.
0 x

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:49 am

h69 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:05 am
Whiskyman wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:32 pm

Do you not think the fear of death is an over reaction ? At least on the currently available statistics. As far as I can see the people who have died in the UK have all had major underlying health issues and, in most cases I believe, been in their 70s and 80s. At the risk of appearing uncaring people in these categories are, statistically, the most vulnerable to death from ANY cause, not just a hitherto unknown virus.

The French authorities decided last night's PSG game would be behind closed doors but it didn't, apparently, stop many Parisiens assembling outside the ground after the result and celebrating their win. And how different are 50 odd thousand attending a sporting event different from the millions who travel on public transport every day ? We all know what the tube is like during peak travel times. Up close and personal is a polite way of putting it.

I actually think now that a few high profile sporting figures and the likes of Tom Hanks have tested positive the media, because of their celebrity status, will probably give regular updates on their "progress". And hopefully this will show people that should they be unfortunate enough to catch the thing they'll be back to full working order within a few days.

Or is that too optimistic a view ?
Given that there are Leicester, Everton, Chelsea and Arsenal players all with Positive tests or likely symptoms, what I think is that this bitch spreads quickly and while the players are unlikely to die from it, there will be many people that do from some of the staff to the public.

Therefore I can understand calling off sport and big gatherings as the country has to try and delay the spread as much as possible
That's a fair point. But taking that to it's logical conclusion "big gatherings" would surely include such things as mass transit systems such as the tube, which because it is an enclosed area might be considered more likely to be an area where the virus can be transmitted.

And on a slightly different tack I believe the medias coverage of the virus has in many cases been grossly irresponsible. People we know have dies after contracting it but many , many more have fully recovered. Surely to reassure people this needs to be emphasised. And one of the reasons it is probably no bad thing that certain high profile sportspeople have now tested positive as, presumably, their recovery schedules, because of their celebrity status, will be reported on more frequently than would be the case for ordinary members of the public.
0 x
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:51 am

terrya1965 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:47 am
Whiskyman wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:30 am

Thanks for the kind words Terry. You've earned yourself some free advice. Every evening when you return home from work (I assume you're younger than me and haven't jacked it all in yet, ask the missus how her day has been , phone the grand children and ask them how their school day has gone, enjoy your dinner, and then sit in front of the box, watch whatever you fancy, and enjoy a large measure of Scotland's (Or Ireland's if you prefer) most palatable alcoholic product.

And you'll be fine. Trust me. I fucking KNOW. ;)

And if you fancy a second measure -----go for it.
I don't think we are too much difference in age..I know you are a bit older than me..I'm 55,(note the username).I have 3 kids(17-34),but no Grandchildren yet.Quite happy with that.Rather they get stable lives first.
That's a pleaseure, not to mention an expense, you can look forward to mate. ;)
0 x
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

h69

Post by h69 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:07 am

Whiskyman wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:49 am
h69 wrote:

That's a fair point. But taking that to it's logical conclusion "big gatherings" would surely include such things as mass transit systems such as the tube, which because it is an enclosed area might be considered more likely to be an area where the virus can be transmitted.

And on a slightly different tack I believe the medias coverage of the virus has in many cases been grossly irresponsible. People we know have dies after contracting it but many , many more have fully recovered. Surely to reassure people this needs to be emphasised. And one of the reasons it is probably no bad thing that certain high profile sportspeople have now tested positive as, presumably, their recovery schedules, because of their celebrity status, will be reported on more frequently than would be the case for ordinary members of the public.
I think the curve of new cases and deaths is what you watch. Get that down and you are home and dry. If it remains like the North face of the Eiger then it is important to try and take action ASAP to limit it. Italy is in a mess but we are only 3 weeks behind them based on stats.

As for the media. A bit of a mix, yes they sensationalise it but also every person who dies has 'underlying health conditions'. I don't believe that is the case for all of them but it is actually a way of calming a majority down and if you look, they all have exactly the same wording.

All games are now off until April 3rd
0 x

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:40 am

Whiskyman wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:48 pm
BlackDiamond wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:34 pm

The global picture: 90% of infected patients have a mild condition,while 10% are serious or critical. Of the later 10%,70% of that group die. Hence a 7% mortality

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
Sure. But the 10% who have the serious condition are those with pre existing medical conditions are they not ? In other words they are possibly less resistant , or more susceptible to, the virus. Just like any other disease, such as flu.

Of course I realise that there are vaccines to ward off flu and, as yet, no such vaccine is available for Covid 19 but I do feel that the current reporting style is designed to create panic.
Well yeah your right, the 10% under normal circumstances would be OK. But when challenged by something that tests their actual defence capabilities,they discover that they don't have the right stuff.

Last night on Question Time, they had some blowhard criticise the Governments prevention strategy. He occupied
a disproportionate amount of air-time and never said one sentence that was useful. It was all about his own self projection and limited imagination.

He could have used 5% of his air-time to give a public service takeaway. The best defence against viral infection is a good immune system and that is best nourished with good supply of vitamin D - found in cheese,fatty fish, like tuna, mackerel, and salmon.
1 x

Mancunian Hammer

Post by Mancunian Hammer » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:46 am

Whiskyman wrote:
h69 wrote:

I agree most people are a bit sick for a week or two and then fine afterwards, the way the media are reporting you would think there was a zombie apocalypse, of course we are concerned for the elderly etc but acting like its Armageddon aint helping anyone
0 x

JayK

Post by JayK » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:03 pm

All games cancelled now. Makes sense to me. It’s not the catching of the fuckin thing that bothers people, it’s who they can pass it onto. No cure for it.
2 x
COYI!!!

OZHAMMER

Post by OZHAMMER » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:15 am

JayK wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:03 pm
It’s not the catching of the fuckin thing that bothers people, it’s who they can pass it onto.
Well said Jay.
1 x

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:16 am

Mancunian Hammer wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:46 am
Whiskyman wrote:

I agree most people are a bit sick for a week or two and then fine afterwards, the way the media are reporting you would think there was a zombie apocalypse, of course we are concerned for the elderly etc but acting like its Armageddon aint helping anyone
Good point about Armageddon. It proves the public generally are a pretty stupid, gullible bunch who will believe anything they're told by the people who control the media. Probably why so many people believed the dwarf and dribbly when they rode into town saying they'd "saved the club" and were going to take it to the next level. :lol:
0 x

Social Media