Good Program Worth Watching

Chat about anything football related here!
Whiskyman

Good Program Worth Watching

Post by Whiskyman » Fri May 15, 2020 2:07 pm

Probably a repeat because it was on ITV 4 Last night. Called when football changed forever it’s about the formation of the Premier League. Well worth a watch in these boring times imo.
0 x
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

tassiehammer

Re: Good Program Worth Watching

Post by tassiehammer » Fri May 15, 2020 11:36 pm

Might get it down here, might not.
But whats everyone's opinion on when the game changed?
Disasters, out of touch money, prawn sandwiches, italian defensive systems?
0 x
Fuck whisky, I'm forever blowing bubbles

Oziron
Director of Avatars

Post by Oziron » Sat May 16, 2020 9:38 pm

tassiehammer wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 11:36 pm
Not sure if this is the one but it's a good watch regardless

1 x

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Sun May 17, 2020 1:03 am

Oziron wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 9:38 pm
tassiehammer wrote:
Not sure if this is the one but it's a good watch regardless

Not the same one mate. If you go onto the ITV hub website and type in When football changed forever you'll get the one that was on. A lot of people have probably seen it coz I'm guessing, because it was on ITV4, it was a re run and not a first showing.
1 x
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

only1salty

Post by only1salty » Mon May 18, 2020 12:13 pm

tassiehammer wrote:
Hillsborough

Taylor Report then gentrified the game and made it ready to become a corporate product
0 x

h69

Post by h69 » Mon May 18, 2020 4:34 pm

tassiehammer wrote:
After the Taylor Report was implemented and standing was removed, the atmosphere died.
After the PL was formed, competition really died.

I would take the 80s anyday....it was edgy but I felt the lack of polish on the First Division (and second as it was then when we were in it) was actually good.

I've always said it but I would rather have less of the polish and TV coverage and less money in the game and stand and watch the team with thousands of others for 20 quid instead of 90 or whatever it is now. Pay on the day, football specials etc.
1 x

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Mon May 18, 2020 6:17 pm

tassiehammer wrote:
For me it was the Thatcher administration's general attitude, perfectly justified at the time unfortunately, towards football fans. Our local MP at the time was a bloke called David Evans who was also owner of Luton Town back then. He introduced a "home fans on;y" policy at Luton but he was also very much a driving force behind the all seater movement.

Let's be perfectly honest football was dragged right down into the gutter during the 70's and 80's so I don't think anyone can sensibly blame the government of the time, particularly after Heysel and the damage that did to the country's reputation, backed up of course by the human dross who followed Ing-Er-Lund all round the world at the time.
1 x

h69

Post by h69 » Tue May 19, 2020 11:25 am

Whiskyman wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 6:17 pm
tassiehammer wrote:
For me it was the Thatcher administration's general attitude, perfectly justified at the time unfortunately, towards football fans. Our local MP at the time was a bloke called David Evans who was also owner of Luton Town back then. He introduced a "home fans on;y" policy at Luton but he was also very much a driving force behind the all seater movement.

Let's be perfectly honest football was dragged right down into the gutter during the 70's and 80's so I don't think anyone can sensibly blame the government of the time, particularly after Heysel and the damage that did to the country's reputation, backed up of course by the human dross who followed Ing-Er-Lund all round the world at the time.
yes Hooliganism definitely was the cause but even in the late 80s and early 90s when CCTV effectively stopped that I liked it a whole lot more. However the PL came in and told us we wanted a luxury matchday experience and ruined it completely but I preferred jumping on a cheap train paying a few quid and standing watching the team play.
0 x

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Tue May 19, 2020 12:17 pm

h69 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:25 am
Whiskyman wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 6:17 pm

yes Hooliganism definitely was the cause but even in the late 80s and early 90s when CCTV effectively stopped that I liked it a whole lot more. However the PL came in and told us we wanted a luxury matchday experience and ruined it completely but I preferred jumping on a cheap train paying a few quid and standing watching the team play.
Horses for courses I guess. And it seems a lot of people actually do want the "luxury matchday experience" as attendances have never been higher.

Used to enjoy the train trips run by the bloke who ran the shop back in the 70s and early 80s. They used to charter a carriage, or two if demand warranted, on a scheduled train rather than the notorious football specials. I used to sell the bingo card things they ran as a fundraising thing which is how I was eligible for their trips. Denis Smith I seem to remember the bloke's name was. Wonder if he's still around.
0 x

h69

Post by h69 » Tue May 19, 2020 3:15 pm

Whiskyman wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 12:17 pm
h69 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:25 am

Horses for courses I guess. And it seems a lot of people actually do want the "luxury matchday experience" as attendances have never been higher.

Used to enjoy the train trips run by the bloke who ran the shop back in the 70s and early 80s. They used to charter a carriage, or two if demand warranted, on a scheduled train rather than the notorious football specials. I used to sell the bingo card things they ran as a fundraising thing which is how I was eligible for their trips. Denis Smith I seem to remember the bloke's name was. Wonder if he's still around.
No idea. I enjoyed the football specials though.

Yes, I'm sure a lot of people want the luxury experience and I cant argue that it makes football more accessible.Its a personal thing with me.

For me the whole thing is vastly different to the old days and for me personally it isn't nearly as good. Would I have got the bug if I had started nowadays....not sure. The whole corporate thing took over and with wall to wall TV football and games nearly every day, it is not the same for me as looking forward to a Saturday afternoon trip away on the special, few beers, terracing, some great songs, a game and then back to London. It was solely focussed on the football then and the passion on the terraces was superb (apart from a few tearups and the sitdown protest at Blackburn) but I fear the football is just a sideshow these days.

As for home games, I spent most of the time in the chicken run but had a few seasons on the south bank and that was pretty raw but great fun given I was in my early twenties.

Just a personal thing for me but I accept a lot of people like the product that is the PL and the shinyness of it now.

Its much the same as the World Cup...watching in 82 for example, the Brazilian team were so mystical as I had not had the chance to see any of them play since 78 so it was novel.

By the way, I remember David Evans and Luton. Part of my growing up was in Luton as I went to school in Bedford. As it goes, I and was in the year above David Pleat's son who used to get on the coach with me to school each morning. I think he is a well paid plastic surgeon in California now.
0 x

Social Media