Good Program Worth Watching

Chat about anything football related here!
Whiskyman

Re: Good Program Worth Watching

Post by Whiskyman » Tue May 19, 2020 5:31 pm

h69 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 3:15 pm
Whiskyman wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 12:17 pm

Horses for courses I guess. And it seems a lot of people actually do want the "luxury matchday experience" as attendances have never been higher.

Used to enjoy the train trips run by the bloke who ran the shop back in the 70s and early 80s. They used to charter a carriage, or two if demand warranted, on a scheduled train rather than the notorious football specials. I used to sell the bingo card things they ran as a fundraising thing which is how I was eligible for their trips. Denis Smith I seem to remember the bloke's name was. Wonder if he's still around.
For me the whole thing is vastly different to the old days and for me personally it isn't nearly as good. Would I have got the bug if I had started nowadays....not sure. The whole corporate thing took over and with wall to wall TV football and games nearly every day, it is not the same for me as looking forward to a Saturday afternoon trip away on the special, few beers, terracing, some great songs, a game and then back to London.
Fairly sure I wouldn't, or more to the point couldn't have afforded, to get hooked if I was growing up now. At least not hooked in the going to games sense although I guess I would still have watched on the box. But who knows ?

My family moved out of London (Forest Gate) when I was 14 back in the early 70's just as I had started to go to games. But I was able, with my pocket money and earnings from a Sunday job at a used car lot, to afford to travel up to London, buy some chips and a drink, pay to get in (North Bank usually) and still have a few bob left over. Could a 14 year old do that now ? Very debatable imo. Which is going to be a problem for football in the future as I see it.
0 x
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

h69

Post by h69 » Tue May 19, 2020 5:50 pm

Whiskyman wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 5:31 pm
h69 wrote:

For me the whole thing is vastly different to the old days and for me personally it isn't nearly as good. Would I have got the bug if I had started nowadays....not sure. The whole corporate thing took over and with wall to wall TV football and games nearly every day, it is not the same for me as looking forward to a Saturday afternoon trip away on the special, few beers, terracing, some great songs, a game and then back to London.
Fairly sure I wouldn't, or more to the point couldn't have afforded, to get hooked if I was growing up now. At least not hooked in the going to games sense although I guess I would still have watched on the box. But who knows ?

My family moved out of London (Forest Gate) when I was 14 back in the early 70's just as I had started to go to games. But I was able, with my pocket money and earnings from a Sunday job at a used car lot, to afford to travel up to London, buy some chips and a drink, pay to get in (North Bank usually) and still have a few bob left over. Could a 14 year old do that now ? Very debatable imo. Which is going to be a problem for football in the future as I see it.
Yep. Totally agree. I really began travelling to every away game when I was at University and I would definitely not have managed given the amount of alcohol I had to also account for and the odd book :lol:
0 x

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 » Tue May 19, 2020 10:06 pm

Whiskyman wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 5:31 pm
h69 wrote:

I came from Muswell Hill with my 2 brothers at that age. It was 20p tube and bus fare..75p North Bank(Jnr) and 15p a programme.We would get a burger or some chips.You would get change from £2.

We weren`t well off,but we could easy afford to go every other week and away occasionally.

Difference now(and I have mentioned it before),when my kids were a bit younger,I had to save up to take them in the PL era.
0 x

Social Media