harold redwanker wants to buy a football club

Chat about anything football related here!
BlackDiamond

Re: harold redwanker wants to buy a football club

Post by BlackDiamond » Sun May 17, 2020 10:21 am

garnett wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 10:11 am
Back on track, we have a fan group who are openly trying to remove our present owners, they have a lot of support, many vent their displeasure on here.

I want to ask a hypothetical question.

The scenario is, there are 2 consortiums who are willing to pay the asking price for the club, the first is fronted by an ex player / manager, he is financed by others who have been involved in the game but the main finance comes from businessmen.
The second consortium are from somewhere in Arabia, low ranking royals no one has ever heard and claim to have far more investment than the first.

Given the choice, which would you prefer and why.

Have a nice Sunday.....it is Sunday..... isn`t it ?
I'll play. So give the presented options,do we want Muslim owners basically advocates for Islam ? Exactly...
0 x

garnett

Post by garnett » Sun May 17, 2020 10:28 am

Exactly what ?
0 x

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Sun May 17, 2020 12:33 pm

garnett wrote:
Back on track, we have a fan group who are openly trying to remove our present owners, they have a lot of support, many vent their displeasure on here.

The scenario is, there are 2 consortiums who are willing to pay the asking price for the club, the first is fronted by an ex player / manager, he is financed by others who have been involved in the game but the main finance comes from businessmen.
The second consortium are from somewhere in Arabia, low ranking royals no one has ever heard and claim to have far more investment than the first.

Don't see the second option ever happening as long as Gold is still drawing breath. But answering your question I doubt if anyone sufficiently mega rich to risk millions on buying a football club would have the squeaky clean profile some people who are upset by Newcastle's proposed new owners are demanding.

For what it's worth I think if a 21st century reincarnation of a mega rich Adolf Hitler were to appear and plough millions into West Ham there would be uproar. From every other football club and it's fans. Us ? I think we'd lap it up. Which is pretty much the situation with Newcastle isn't it?
0 x
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 » Sun May 17, 2020 5:10 pm

Whiskyman wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 12:33 pm
garnett wrote:

Don't see the second option ever happening as long as Gold is still drawing breath. But answering your question I doubt if anyone sufficiently mega rich to risk millions on buying a football club would have the squeaky clean profile some people who are upset by Newcastle's proposed new owners are demanding.

For what it's worth I think if a 21st century reincarnation of a mega rich Adolf Hitler were to appear and plough millions into West Ham there would be uproar. From every other football club and it's fans. Us ? I think we'd lap it up. Which is pretty much the situation with Newcastle isn't it?
I bet many fans would take it though.

It`s funny really,from the 1960's to the 1980's,we were a lot of other fans 2nd favorite Team.We played decent entertaining football under Greenwood and Lyall.

I know you are going to say we had a bit of a soft touch,but that soft touch won us 4 major trophies and since them 2 left,we have won f*ck all.(PLEASE don't let anybody come up with that poxy UEFA thing and Play off winners,that is not proper success).
0 x

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Mon May 18, 2020 7:01 am

terrya1965 wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 5:10 pm
Whiskyman wrote:

It`s funny really,from the 1960's to the 1980's,we were a lot of other fans 2nd favorite Team.We played decent entertaining football under Greenwood and Lyall.

I know you are going to say we had a bit of a soft touch,but that soft touch won us 4 major trophies and since them 2 left,we have won f*ck all.(PLEASE don't let anybody come up with that poxy UEFA thing and Play off winners,that is not proper success).
Good point Terry. Al;though the Inter Toto cup did involve playing 6 games to win it, which is the same number of matches you need to win the F A Cup. ;)
0 x
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

garnett

Post by garnett » Mon May 18, 2020 8:29 am

Morning, my answer to my question is actually based on what I have learned with our present owners.

Businessmen playing at football does not work imo, I would have chosen the football based consortium on the basis that their expertise would formulate a long term working plan with the financiers being silent, throwing shitloads of money at a problem that has not been thought out properly has in the past not worked with the inevitable manager sacking.

Going back to `arry, if I was an Orient Dagenham or Southend fan I would certainly be in favour of his and others involvement.

Thanks for your views whufc_crest
1 x

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 » Mon May 18, 2020 8:40 am

Whiskyman wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 7:01 am
terrya1965 wrote:

Good point Terry. Al;though the Inter Toto cup did involve playing 6 games to win it, which is the same number of matches you need to win the F A Cup. ;)
The quality of teams were very average.We had played 3 teams to win it,though Heerenveen were pretty decent at the time in the Dutch League.Metz were knocked out by a Finnish Team in a CL qualifier a couple months on.Hardly quality.

At least when we won our FA Cup's,we did face some decent sides to win them.We were underdogs in at least 2 ties every Cup run.

Even in the CWC ,Real Zaragoza and Munich 1860 were quite decent sides in 1965.
0 x

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer » Mon May 18, 2020 9:46 am

terrya1965 wrote:
Whiskyman wrote:

Whilst get what your saying mate...would disagree a little on the Play Off Finals....they're huge
vitally important games...and has been banged on about,maybe biggest game in world footie..
Financially that is...
There's no saying we wouldn't be still stuck in Div 2...Sorry Championship now, if not have won
the last one(Know some of you would have preferred that... :lol: )
But I really don't know where we would have ended up...

Also on the Plus side.among my best days out as a Hammer the play offs ...especially the Cardiff
away day against Preston...Amazing day...going to footie in a Limo,cant beat it... :D
Another Plus is Everyone gets to go...unlike an FA Cup final..

Just Amazing watching us celebrate at the end....almost worth dropping if we could have that
again.... :lol:
0 x

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Mon May 18, 2020 10:00 am

terrya1965 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 8:40 am
Whiskyman wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 7:01 am

The quality of teams were very average.We had played 3 teams to win it,though Heerenveen were pretty decent at the time in the Dutch League.Metz were knocked out by a Finnish Team in a CL qualifier a couple months on.Hardly quality.

At least when we won our FA Cup's,we did face some decent sides to win them.We were underdogs in at least 2 ties every Cup run.

Even in the CWC ,Real Zaragoza and Munich 1860 were quite decent sides in 1965.
True. But it's possible to win the F A Cup playing against equally nondescript teams. I think it was Millwall, when they got to the final one year, didn't play anyone of any note until they faced Man United in the final itself.

The ECWC back then was a decent competition but would be pointless now because usually the team that wins the country's cup has already qualified for the Champs League or the UEFA cup. Eintracht Frankfurt were a very decent side when we beat them in 1976 and Dinamo Tbilisi were a superb outfit who gave us a footballing lesson at Upton Park in 1981.
0 x

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 » Mon May 18, 2020 3:38 pm

mkhammer wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 9:46 am
terrya1965 wrote:

Whilst get what your saying mate...would disagree a little on the Play Off Finals....they're huge
vitally important games...and has been banged on about,maybe biggest game in world footie..
Financially that is...
There's no saying we wouldn't be still stuck in Div 2...Sorry Championship now, if not have won
the last one(Know some of you would have preferred that... :lol: )
But I really don't know where we would have ended up...

Also on the Plus side.among my best days out as a Hammer the play offs ...especially the Cardiff
away day against Preston...Amazing day...going to footie in a Limo,cant beat it... :D
Another Plus is Everyone gets to go...unlike an FA Cup final..

Just Amazing watching us celebrate at the end....almost worth dropping if we could have that
again.... :lol:
Sorry mate..Winning a Play Off Final is success for owners for them to make big bucks.Coarse it is important to be in top flight,so you can TRY to compete,but you rarely do..Leicester was a one off.

Back before the PL started,teams coming up from the opd 2nd Division,could compete,but not now.

I have been to Play off Final and domestic Cup Finals and the Play Off Finals never touched the others.
At the end of the day getting in the PL is all about staying there for us and the vast majority, unless you are lucky enough to get a Sheikh to come along or your one of the big 6.
0 x

Social Media