harold redwanker wants to buy a football club

Chat about anything football related here!
terrya1965

Re: harold redwanker wants to buy a football club

Post by terrya1965 » Mon May 18, 2020 3:42 pm

Whiskyman wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 10:00 am
terrya1965 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 8:40 am

The quality of teams were very average.We had played 3 teams to win it,though Heerenveen were pretty decent at the time in the Dutch League.Metz were knocked out by a Finnish Team in a CL qualifier a couple months on.Hardly quality.

At least when we won our FA Cup's,we did face some decent sides to win them.We were underdogs in at least 2 ties every Cup run.

Even in the CWC ,Real Zaragoza and Munich 1860 were quite decent sides in 1965.
True. But it's possible to win the F A Cup playing against equally nondescript teams. I think it was Millwall, when they got to the final one year, didn't play anyone of any note until they faced Man United in the final itself.

The ECWC back then was a decent competition but would be pointless now because usually the team that wins the country's cup has already qualified for the Champs League or the UEFA cup. Eintracht Frankfurt were a very decent side when we beat them in 1976 and Dinamo Tbilisi were a superb outfit who gave us a footballing lesson at Upton Park in 1981.
I don`t disagree with any of that.The CWC was a decent competition back then and we were only the 2nd English team to lift a European Trophy.

You can get lucky in the draw..Arsenal always seem to do,but our ties weren`t,especially 1980.
0 x

h69

Post by h69 » Mon May 18, 2020 4:22 pm

terrya1965 wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 5:10 pm
Whiskyman wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 12:33 pm

Don't see the second option ever happening as long as Gold is still drawing breath. But answering your question I doubt if anyone sufficiently mega rich to risk millions on buying a football club would have the squeaky clean profile some people who are upset by Newcastle's proposed new owners are demanding.

For what it's worth I think if a 21st century reincarnation of a mega rich Adolf Hitler were to appear and plough millions into West Ham there would be uproar. From every other football club and it's fans. Us ? I think we'd lap it up. Which is pretty much the situation with Newcastle isn't it?
I bet many fans would take it though.

It`s funny really,from the 1960's to the 1980's,we were a lot of other fans 2nd favorite Team.We played decent entertaining football under Greenwood and Lyall.

I know you are going to say we had a bit of a soft touch,but that soft touch won us 4 major trophies and since them 2 left,we have won f*ck all.(PLEASE don't let anybody come up with that poxy UEFA thing and Play off winners,that is not proper success).
But to be honest they would not have got a look in these days. In the days we won the 4 trophies, pretty much anyone could win the domestic cups if they had a good draw and there were many different winners each season. Standing round a radio waiting for the draw was quite exciting on a Monday lunchtime....now its not the same.
Since the 90s, it is almost always a Top 4 team that wins the cup. As for the ECWC, the new format means that even if you have a good run, the CL teams drop into the tourney and groups take away the fun of it. We were a good cup team back then but if it had been run like it is now with Home and Away games it would have been much harder.

For me, The European trophies lost their way from a fan pov when it became the CL and Europa League. I know this wont be popular but I preferred the European Cup as a knockout and when all the entrants were champions and the other two cups as well.

For me, money has ruined it and created less of a level playing field so it just means that generally the richest teams hoover up all the trophies. Previously there was an element of luck which I quite liked.
0 x

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes » Mon May 18, 2020 7:58 pm

He just can’t stop himself always wants to be in the fucking limelight.
Just fucking retire and put your knobbly knees up.
Maybe write another book on more fairytales.
0 x

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 » Mon May 18, 2020 9:30 pm

h69 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 4:22 pm
terrya1965 wrote:

It`s funny really,from the 1960's to the 1980's,we were a lot of other fans 2nd favorite Team.We played decent entertaining football under Greenwood and Lyall.

I know you are going to say we had a bit of a soft touch,but that soft touch won us 4 major trophies and since them 2 left,we have won f*ck all.(PLEASE don't let anybody come up with that poxy UEFA thing and Play off winners,that is not proper success).
But to be honest they would not have got a look in these days. In the days we won the 4 trophies, pretty much anyone could win the domestic cups if they had a good draw and there were many different winners each season. Standing round a radio waiting for the draw was quite exciting on a Monday lunchtime....now its not the same.
Since the 90s, it is almost always a Top 4 team that wins the cup. As for the ECWC, the new format means that even if you have a good run, the CL teams drop into the tourney and groups take away the fun of it. We were a good cup team back then but if it had been run like it is now with Home and Away games it would have been much harder.

For me, The European trophies lost their way from a fan pov when it became the CL and Europa League. I know this wont be popular but I preferred the European Cup as a knockout and when all the entrants were champions and the other two cups as well.

For me, money has ruined it and created less of a level playing field so it just means that generally the richest teams hoover up all the trophies. Previously there was an element of luck which I quite liked.
Exactly.

You went in the European Cup if you won the League..Next 3 Teams went into the UEFA Cup with the League Cup Winners..FA Cup Winners went into the Cup Winners Cup..I preferred that way too.

I get The CL,but that Europa League format has to be the biggest load of crap ever.Bring back 2 Leg Knock out and restore the CWC.
0 x

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 » Mon May 18, 2020 9:35 pm

h69 wrote:
terrya1965 wrote:

Exactly.

You went in the European Cup if you won the League..Next 3 Teams went into the UEFA Cup with the League Cup Winners..FA Cup Winners went into the Cup Winners Cup..I preferred that way too.

I get The CL,but that Europa League format has to be the biggest load of crap ever.Bring back 2 Leg Knock out and restore the CWC.
0 x

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 » Mon May 18, 2020 9:36 pm

h69 wrote:
terrya1965 wrote:

Exactly.

0 x

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Mon May 18, 2020 11:58 pm

terrya1965 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 9:36 pm
h69 wrote:

Exactly.

Been there before Terry. No point in restoring the ECWC. Look at the cup winners from pretty much all the major leagues in Europe and you'll see the teams that win the domestic cups are usually the same ones that have already cleaned up on the CL places. And if the CL went back to Champions Only the cup winners would go into the UEFA cup which was always regarded as a superior competition because qualifying for it was based on league placing.

Domestic cups these days are pretty much like the Dodo. And the fans usually vote with their feet if the number of empty seats at most matches is anything to go by. At least until the later rounds. I don't actually mind the Europa League. At least it gives clubs outside the so called elite the opportunity to get some experience of European football. And without that incentive the clubs outside the top 3 or 4 might as well shut up shop.
0 x
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

jameskel

Post by jameskel » Wed May 20, 2020 8:21 am

Candle faced cunt
0 x
Taans can fuck right off

punkrockhammer

Post by punkrockhammer » Wed May 20, 2020 4:29 pm

Hopefully it’s in the fucking jungle somewhere so we never have to see his fucking wonky face or hear him on an advert saying “Sarrrn” ever again

He should really buy Pompey and give them some of the money back he wasted on shit players huge wages and started their decline down the leagues

Bent cunt
0 x

punkrockhammer

Post by punkrockhammer » Wed May 20, 2020 4:33 pm

Whiskyman wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 4:28 pm
mkhammer wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 2:27 pm

The one thing never understood with him is how the hell he afforded to buy on Sandbanks
when he did...was reckoned to be some of the dearest property in the world,when he brought it
and was way way before all the big bucks came into the game...

But if he was canny and clever enough to sort something out....Fair Dues....never against people
making a few bob.....
I thought he bought it about 5 or 6 years back. If that's right he would have skimmed enough in bungs and backhanders, plus his salaries and punditry fees to afford the £3.5 million he's supposed to have paid for it.

Tony Pulis owns a place there as well apparently. And the Russian bloke, Maxim Demin, who owns Bournemouth.
He’s been there way longer than five or six years. Probably more like 20/30
0 x

Social Media