football grounds now defunct

Chat about anything football related here!
tassiehammer

Re: football grounds now defunct

Postby tassiehammer » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:11 am

Thanks once again for the memories CH. Played a few times at Woodford and Collier Row. Real estate agents dream come true now unfortunately.
Have you done Clapton? Lazy fucker that I am.
0 x

cockneyhammer

Postby cockneyhammer » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:22 am

[quote="tassiehammer"]Thanks once again for the memories CH. Played a few times at Woodford and Collier Row. Real estate agents dream come true now unfortunately.
Have you done Clapton? Lazy fucker that I am.[/quote

no mate will see what i can find for you
0 x

cockneyhammer

Postby cockneyhammer » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:23 am

H4L wrote:Collier Row, very sad indeed.

not wrong mate
0 x

cockneyhammer

Postby cockneyhammer » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:01 am

tassiehammer wrote:Thanks once again for the memories CH. Played a few times at Woodford and Collier Row. Real estate agents dream come true now unfortunately.

do you mean the spotted dog
1 x

Newmarket

Postby Newmarket » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:55 am

cockneyhammer wrote:
tassiehammer wrote:Thanks once again for the memories CH. Played a few times at Woodford and Collier Row. Real estate agents dream come true now unfortunately.

do you mean the spotted dog

I think they are still there Steve , are they not ?
0 x
I hate Thrush he’s an irritating Cunt .

cockneyhammer

Postby cockneyhammer » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:02 pm

i went past there a few weeks ago mate sad to see the state of the pub think it is a grade 2 listed building i stand to be corrected sure i read somewher it went back to king henry used it as a lodge or something

0 x

cockneyhammer

Postby cockneyhammer » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:00 pm

back to north of the boarder today we visit clyde fc

ALTHOUGH it is still a sporting venue, Shawfield is no longer a football ground, since Clyde FC, who resided there for 87 years, moved out in 1986. As Scotland’s only National Greyhound Racing Track still in use, its only fuction is to host two race meetings per week.

Originally a trotting track, Clyde took over the stadium in Rutherglen in 1898 and, in order to bring in extra revenue, allowed it to be used for athletics and boxing, in addition to football. Greyhound racing arrived in 1932 and when Clyde hit financial difficulties, the stadium was bought by the Greyhound Racing Association two years later, with Clyde staying on as tenants. When the GRA planned to redevelop the site, Clyde departed and, although those plans were never fulfilled, they never returned, settling at the new Broadwood Stadium. Instead, Shawfield welcomed Glasgow Tigers speedway club, who had spent a year exiled in Workington, and they remained for ten years, with the exception of one season when Scottish Monarchs raced there. The crumbling terracings from the football era remain, but only the main grandstand is now used by spectators.

there new ground broadwood stadium. they share it with the cumbernauld colts of the scottish lowland football league..

0 x

cockneyhammer

Postby cockneyhammer » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:28 pm

today we go up to geos neck of the woods scotland we visit east fife

if there is a ground you would like to see that is defunct please let me no

The ground was previously known as Town Hall Park when it became the home of a local junior club, Leven Thistle, in 1902.[1] When East Fife were formed in 1903 as a new senior club to represent the Levenmouth area, they took over the venue, which subsequently led to the demise of Leven Thistle. Town Hall Park was renamed as Bayview Park (due to its location near Largo Bay) and reopened with a match against Heart of Midlothian on 15 August 1903.

Bayview became fully enclosed with a 400-seat grandstand in 1906, but soon afterwards doubts about the ground's future viability were raised because of plans to build a new school nearby. This ultimately led to the pitch being moved several yards to the west in 1910, with the outcome that the stand — previously situated halfway along the north touchline — was now at the northeast corner of the pitch.After several attempts, East Fife were elected to the Scottish Football League in 1921 and Bayview staged its first League match against Bathgate on 20 August that year. Ambitious plans to develop the ground had already been announced; a new main stand was opened on the south side of the pitch in 1922, however it held only a third of the 3,000 spectators envisaged in the original plan. The banking around the pitch was terraced in 1923, at which time it was estimated that 20,000 standing spectators could be accommodated "in comfort". Further improvements followed promotion to Division One in 1930.

East Fife's Scottish Cup win in 1938 ushered in the club's most successful era. Bayview was again improved and expanded in 1948, and a record attendance of 22,515 was present for a local derby against Raith Rovers in 1950. Floodlights were installed in 1954 and first used in a friendly against Leeds United.[ The club, however, were relegated in 1958 and both East Fife and Bayview went into decline over the subsequent decades.

By the end of the 1970s attendances had dropped significantly, and the club was experiencing severe financial difficulties. Bayview's town centre location made it attractive to developers, and in 1995 the club agreed to sell the site in a deal that would provide them with a modern all-seater stadium. The site of the new Bayview Stadium was found on derelict land near Methil Docks, and East Fife finally left their original home in May 1998, at the end of the 1997-98 season, after 95 years, moving to their new stadium when the new season began in August 1998.

present day

there new ground

0 x

Brookbonds73

Postby Brookbonds73 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:33 pm

Cheers mate.
I bet it gets a bit nippy watching an East Fife match. Fuck that for a game of soldiers.
1 x
Love a cup of Rosey I do.

cockneyhammer

Postby cockneyhammer » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:41 pm

think there are one or two like that up in scotland mate would loved to have had the pleasure to go to queen of the south not defunct but the club i have followed in scotland for years the mighty doonhamers lol
0 x

Return to “Football Talk”