football grounds now defunct

Chat about anything football related here!
andyginbrasil

Re: football grounds now defunct

Postby andyginbrasil » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:12 pm

And still foaming..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x

BoleynBadges

Postby BoleynBadges » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:28 am

lol hhappy day's more story's would be great

someting that has always stuck in my mind was bury away we was in the seats we went for a cup of tea when we got to the canteen it was like we had gone back a hundred years still never sen anything like it
0 x

BoleynBadges

Postby BoleynBadges » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:36 pm

today we go somewhere new northern ireland lets have a look at belfast celtic

The legendary Belfast Celtic Football Club was the leading light in Irish football from 1891 to 1949. Despite being twice forced to withdraw from competition due to the political uppheavals of the time, the Celtic team won numerous trophies and gained the admiration of the sporting community in Ireland and further afield before sectarianism forced the club to withdraw from League competition for good.

During their time in competition, Celtic had won the Irish League fourteen times, the Irish Cup eight times, the City Cup Winners ten times and the Gold Cup seven times. The Belfast Celtic team was the pride of Irish football until it was forced out of competition after the dramatic game against Belfast rivals Linfield on Boxing Day in 1948.

The Celtic team had to run from the pitch for their lives when Linfield fans poured over the terrace barriers at the end of a 1 - 1 draw. Centre forward Jimmy Jones was thrown over a parapet, kicked unconcious and left with a broken leg. Defender Robin Lawler and goalkeeper Kevin McAlinden were also seriously hurt. At a meeting the same night Celtic's directors decided to withdraw from football once the season' commitments had been fulfilled.

Almost 65 years later the team is still fondly remembered and missed by a generation of supporters who were born long after the club's premature departure from sporting competition. Belfast Celtic is still fondly remembered by the People of Belfast and even further afield.

0 x

Newmarket

Postby Newmarket » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:40 pm

cockneyhammer wrote:today we go somewhere new northern ireland lets have a look at belfast celtic

The legendary Belfast Celtic Football Club was the leading light in Irish football from 1891 to 1949. Despite being twice forced to withdraw from competition due to the political uppheavals of the time, the Celtic team won numerous trophies and gained the admiration of the sporting community in Ireland and further afield before sectarianism forced the club to withdraw from League competition for good.

During their time in competition, Celtic had won the Irish League fourteen times, the Irish Cup eight times, the City Cup Winners ten times and the Gold Cup seven times. The Belfast Celtic team was the pride of Irish football until it was forced out of competition after the dramatic game against Belfast rivals Linfield on Boxing Day in 1948.

The Celtic team had to run from the pitch for their lives when Linfield fans poured over the terrace barriers at the end of a 1 - 1 draw. Centre forward Jimmy Jones was thrown over a parapet, kicked unconcious and left with a broken leg. Defender Robin Lawler and goalkeeper Kevin McAlinden were also seriously hurt. At a meeting the same night Celtic's directors decided to withdraw from football once the season' commitments had been fulfilled.

Almost 65 years later the team is still fondly remembered and missed by a generation of supporters who were born long after the club's premature departure from sporting competition. Belfast Celtic is still fondly remembered by the People of Belfast and even further afield.

Thanks Steve that was a very interesting read about a club I never even knew existed .

Many thanks mate I enjoyed that , hope your grand daughters good ;)
0 x
I hate Thrush he’s an irritating Cunt .

BoleynBadges

Postby BoleynBadges » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:45 pm

Thanks Steve that was a very interesting read about a club I never even knew existed .

Many thanks mate I enjoyed that , hope your grand daughters good

thanks glad you found it of intrest she is fine thanks mate trying to sit up bless her three months old allready she will be plaing for west ham ladies before we no it whufc_crest
1 x

BoleynBadges

Postby BoleynBadges » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:32 am

lets have a look ar stanley united

GROUND: Hill Top Ground, High Road, Stanley, County Durham

RECORD ATTENDANCE: 5,000 v Leytonstone (FA Amateur Cup) 1920

The home of Stanley United has been nicknamed the Hill Top ground, which is something of an understatement as a drive to the ground involved a climb through the Stockley Fells to the small mining village of Stanley that sits high above the Durham town of Crook. The two sides were bitter rivals in the 1930’s and, indeed, Stanley lost their Northern League place to Crook in 1936. However, the club were re-elected to that prestigious competition in 1945. They remained in the Northern League until the end of the 1973/74 season when they resigned due to a lack of volunteers to run the club. They dropped down to the Durham City and District League before moving to the Wearside League. The High Road ground had been home since the end of World War I and was a remarkably atmospheric ground. On the far side was a large covered stand which provided very welcome refuge from biting winds. The grounds most well-known feature of the ground was on the opposite side where, within the ground itself, was an old two up, two down house. This provided changing facilities and upstairs were the tea bar which had amazingly wonky floorboards. The club last competed in the Wearside League in the 2002/03 season and after a few seasons in local football called it a day, citing a lack of support. The stand and house were swiftly demolished and all that remains of this much loved venue is a few twisted pitch railings.

1 x

BoleynBadges

Postby BoleynBadges » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:53 am

lets have a look at hayes church road

Townfield House, Church Road, Hayes, Middx UB3 2LE
Telephone: 0208 573 2075
Nickname: The Missioners
Conference South

Note Hayes Football Club was founded in 1909 when Eileen Shackle, the teenage daughter of a wealthy land agent, encouraged the local youngsters to form a football team. The team was originally known as Botwell Mission, after the mission church that was built in memory of her grandfather, and that still stands today as part of the Hayes Library in Golden Crescent.

The club’s first home was at Botwell Common where they played until acquiring a new ground in Church Road. The site was originally known as Cox’s Meadow or latterly, Townfield and was officially opened on 26 August 1920 with a ‘Whites vs Stripes’ trial.

The club’s official website states that at the end of the 1928-29 season the club changed its name to Hayes FC, although the club retained the nickname “The Missioners” in memory of its origins. The clubhouse received a direct hit courtesy of the Luftwaffe in 1942, destroying all the club’s pre-war records. The present clubhouse is located outisde of the ground itself.

In 1925 a wooden grandstand was built which survived until the 1960s when it was replaced by the present brick built structure, with its deeply pitched roof. Despite the rather low roof and intruding roof supports, it affords a reasonable view of the action. The dressing rooms are housed within the building..

The vast banks around the ground were gradually terraced after WW2 and today provide an excellent vantage point for spectators. They also gave the ground an impressive capacity as evidenced by the 15,370 that watched Hayes play Bromley in an Amateur Cup tie in 1951.

Further cover is provided by cover that runs for most of the far touchline. Church Road is a personal favourite and one wishes that Hayes could command the sort of support that might generate the sort of atmosphere that would befit such a venue.

0 x

Romford

Postby Romford » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:23 am

Quality stuff mate ;)
0 x

BoleynBadges

Postby BoleynBadges » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:00 pm

today we visit wiltshire and melkshan town

Tucked away adjacent to Melksham House behind the market square, The Conigre, home to Wiltshire club Melksham Town Football Club since 1926 may not be the easiest ground to find unless you know where to look, but it is certainly worth the trouble.To hear the constant quacks in the nearby river only adds to the sights and sounds of this hidden gem. To be honest until about a month ago i had never heard of the club, but ever since i did a visit was never far away, despite the mileage. If you also add that it still has a manually operated scoreboard still in use makes a trip here a must thing for any self proclaimed ground hopper or non league football lover.

The Conigre, along all its painted corrugated metal. Equally however, it is distinctly worn around the edges and one can understand how the club might welcome a brand new ground, with updated facilities. Today the locals are in an even split about the move.

This was a highly enjoyable, game of two halves between two fully committed neighbours both battling it out for local bragging rights. I was pleased to see the manually operated scoreboard in action when Radstock scored a well deserved and well worked goal at the mid point of the first half , only because a good ground hopper friend drove all the miles to see a goaless match, hence no movement in the scoreboard.
In the second half the hosts picked up and got back in the game and not long later got a deserved winner.
The final whistle sounded and the locals left happy in the knowing a victory had been secured at 'their' manor, albeit ramshackle, worn around the edges and very homely. But for how long, if the proposed move to the other side of town goes ahead.

0 x

BoleynBadges

Postby BoleynBadges » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:39 am

today we go to Slough Town Wexham Park

Slough Town currently groundshare at Beaconsfield SYCOB, having left their previous home, Wexham Park, at the end of the 2002/03 season, after a fallout of some sort withe the people who owned it. They've been somewhat nomadic since, while still searching for a site back in Slough itself.

Back in May I had a look in at Wexham Park, to see it in its sad, derelict state. Hand on heart, it was never my favourite ground to visit with the Hamlet, but it is still deplorable to see it lying empty & overgrown, when it couldstill be used by The Rebels.

This ground actually has one of my happiest 'schooldays' memories, as in 1982 Millwall lost here in the FA Cup. I wasn't at that match, but a few weeks before Dulwich drew 0-0 here in an Isthmian League Premier Division match. And with most of my class (well, the ones that actually went to games, I don't count armchair fans!) being Millwall fans, I prized the report from that no-score draw, the opening of which read "Millwall failed to do what Dulwich Hamlet had done a few weeks earlier-stop Slough scoring at home."

Oh, the bragging rights for me back then! Did I milk it! ;-)

I had no difficulty in getting inside today, eventually! I couldn't find a way through the fences/over the walls, so went behind the cover behind the goal. I battled through thick undergrowth, & trees, getting a bit scratched in the process. Still no luck, but getting to the end I then saw I could have walked along the path, which came to some open land beyond the far side, and part of the perimeter had been knocked down by vandals! Doh! But not to worry, at least I got inside!

This post is deticated to a Swedish man called Mats, I've only met once, at a Suburban League Shield Final match at Champion Hill, in the nineties, against Slough town. He's a proud Swedish Rebel, who I know looks in on this site

thanks to grounds for concern

0 x

Return to “Football Talk”