Antonio is not a Right Back.......

Chat about anything football related here!
ToneLoc

Re: Antonio is not a Right Back.......

Post by ToneLoc » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:41 am

Unbe-fucking-lieveable !

Just WHAT is going through Slav's mind here?
This is an "Allardyce in disguise" move with Antonio.

Slav's heading towards a triple-whammy here.....
1. Antonio at right back is fucking up the right back position
2. Antonio not at right mid is seriously limiting the right mid position
3. Antonio will be fast getting pissed off and with an £££££ greedy agent chewing his ears off he may well slap in a transfer request

Slav's just reversing SO much good work with this one piece of utter madness.
0 x
"Gentlemen you can't fight in here this is the war room"

Hammertime

Post by Hammertime » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:47 am

ToneLoc wrote:Unbe-fucking-lieveable !

Just WHAT is going through Slav's mind here?
This is an "Allardyce in disguise" move with Antonio.

Slav's heading towards a triple-whammy here.....
1. Antonio at right back is fucking up the right back position
2. Antonio not at right mid is seriously limiting the right mid position
3. Antonio will be fast getting pissed off and with an £££££ greedy agent chewing his ears off he may well slap in a transfer request

Slav's just reversing SO much good work with this one piece of utter madness.
If Byram is played at RB, Antonio would be the perfect R midfield cover for him. That way he gets to push forward, use his motor to get back & help out (especially in transition) & not be the last man back on the right side.
0 x
Patriotism, like celibacy, can be carried too far!

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:06 am

Honestly, I am not going to repeat what's been already said about Antonio. But Byram!!
Now he was as shyte and I think we were mugs for buying him..

Ok granted, he was played out of position and points I made in a previous post were evident in HIS play. But taking all that into consideration he was still giving them too much room to tee up crosses from their right. Fortunately they ended up as poor ones or we might have ended up conceding more.

We seriously need to sort out our defence, and I would be reluctant to even rely on Byram as a back up. If I thought our defence was shakey last season, which I did , I am for certain now.

Biilic needs to open his eyes, and in no shape or form can you place the fault of the RB position at Sullys door, he needs to throw in the towel and concede to what everybody else has been telling him. Mistakes can be forgiven but blind foolishness will need a lot of repairing.
0 x
A good person does things in silence, others strive to be seen as good so scream out their deeds.

rhodesiron

Post by rhodesiron » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:18 am

I too feel really sorry for the guy. Not only is he not a right back, he should actually be played as a striker. Think he would scare the shit out of many a P/L defense.

Then maybe spend this 20 odd Million on a decent defense of our own.
0 x
The liver is evil & must be punished

Gonzo

Post by Gonzo » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:34 am

rhodesiron wrote:I too feel really sorry for the guy. Not only is he not a right back, he should actually be played as a striker. Think he would scare the shit out of many a P/L defense.

Then maybe spend this 20 odd Million on a decent defense of our own.

It's actually the whole right side that suffers because Faghouli is not defensively minded enough to help Antonio out. There were points during this game when Noble was screaming at Antonio and pointing at the position he should be in.

I feel sorry for him because I like him and see him as a goal scoring winger so place the blame firmly at Slav's door.
0 x

WestOzIron

Post by WestOzIron » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:23 am

Agree with all the comments so far.
Could not believe it when I woke up & saw the score!!
I had small doubts over Slav last year, which were masked with the wonderful year that we had.
But he made some dreadful team selections & some of his substitutions were very ordinary to say the least.
Not throwing baby out with the bath water, but he needs to now drop this obsession with Antonio playing FB!
I know a lot on here think that this comp will be more of a hindrance than anything, but I disagree.
The big 4/5 will not have seasons like last year & have been strengthening their squads.
A top 6 finish, I believe will be very difficult.
To get to the group stage I think is a must, from there it can be reassessed.
Am I panicking, well pretty close to it. The squad needs to be sorted & pronto.
Otherwise you lose the first 4-5 games & it can be difficult to arrest the slide.
0 x

BillyDWhizz

Post by BillyDWhizz » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:01 pm

Don't worry. We'll rectify the full back situation by signing even more wingers. :|
0 x
Rounding to the nearest whole numbers makes them pointless.

Hildreth_1101

Post by Hildreth_1101 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:02 am

I agree that Antonio isn't a RB, think everyone except Bilic seems to at this point. In his interviews it's clear he doesn't want to play there, he talks about wanting to score goals, that isn't how a RB talks and thinks. Please Slav put him on the wing or use him as a wing back if we do 3 at the back.

I may be of a different opinion but then again, I try not to judge one player during one performance in a game we were so badly lacking match sharpness/fitness and everyone played poorly/average at best but...

I think Byram is worth a go at RB least in the next couple of weeks, he improved defensively 2nd half, he has been out the team for a while, shoved into a makeshift back four at LB, lacking some sharpness about him but come on we bought him in Jan last year, he didn't do badly when he played, give him a chance. If he cannot do the business in the next 2 games (Domzale HOMe and vs Juventus) then we'll know and we can resume the search for a RB.

After all, Antonio never got a chance until November, before they didn't think he was good enough, why can't Byram get the same opportunity?
0 x

MitchFY66

Post by MitchFY66 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:08 am

This is what I don't get...
I said that I trusted Bilic with this decision because Bilic has done well by us (so far). I assumed that, when I heard Antonio would be playing RB, that they would work on his defending and positioning during pre-season. But, it looks like they haven't. He still gets caught way, way out of position. Not only when he's attacking, but when he's in a defensive position too. I'm now a lot more worried about the RB position than I was a couple of weeks ago.
In complete honesty, I just think Antonio isn't Bilic's type of player, but he can't justify dropping him because of how well he played last season. Bilic loves the little playmaking mids (Tore, Feghouli, Lanzini, Payet), I think Antonio is too raw and direct for his liking. Personally, as much as I like Tore, I would have preferred Antonio and Feghouli as our wingers, and that we spent the Tore money on a decent RB.
0 x
He's not the messiah! He's a very naughty boy!

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:49 am

MitchFY66 wrote:This is what I don't get...
I said that I trusted Bilic with this decision because Bilic has done well by us (so far). I assumed that, when I heard Antonio would be playing RB, that they would work on his defending and positioning during pre-season. But, it looks like they haven't. He still gets caught way, way out of position. Not only when he's attacking, but when he's in a defensive position too. I'm now a lot more worried about the RB position than I was a couple of weeks ago.
In complete honesty, I just think Antonio isn't Bilic's type of player, but he can't justify dropping him because of how well he played last season. Bilic loves the little playmaking mids (Tore, Feghouli, Lanzini, Payet), I think Antonio is too raw and direct for his liking. Personally, as much as I like Tore, I would have preferred Antonio and Feghouli as our wingers, and that we spent the Tore money on a decent RB.
Actually I think Antonio is Bilics type of player. or will be when he has moulded him to his satisfaction.( never gonna happen).

He likes, or appears to , attacking defenders. Take Byram, I believe he had that rep before he came to us. Trouble is Bilic sees Antonio more of a threat going forward than Byram, and is podsiibly the reason he kept Antonio on his preferred side. Regardless of it technically having two players playing out of their natural places.

The enigma though is this, Jenkinson, who by far is better in that position, though not brilliant himself, he had no trouble replacing because of some clangers, as should be the case. But he persists with Antonio. Well it seems that it might be as Gonzo hinted and what Nolan was to Lard Arse so Antonio is to Bilic.
0 x
A good person does things in silence, others strive to be seen as good so scream out their deeds.

Social Media