Sturridge

Chat about anything football related here!
Whiskyman

Re: Sturridge

Postby Whiskyman » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:39 pm

deanox wrote:Waste of space, just like Carroll.

Fortunately a very expensive bullet dodged.
0 x
People who claim to be modest usually have a lot to be modest about.

tassiehammer

Postby tassiehammer » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:10 am

But whose to say he would have got injured with our pre match preparation?
Wait a minute.................
0 x

BlackDiamond

Postby BlackDiamond » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:18 am

Let's remind ourselves of Jurgen Klopp's observation...he needs to "learn what is serious pain and what is only pain".

...Heavy metal football,ja
0 x

frogiron

Postby frogiron » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:36 am

Class player.

To quote Sky Sports:
"In fact, since the start of the 2012/13 campaign, when he made his move from Stamford Bridge to Anfield, his minutes per goal rate of 133.4 puts him behind only Sergio Aguero, Mohamed Salah, Luis Suarez and Harry Kane of the players to have scored at least 20 Premier League goals in that time-frame. Sturridge has been more efficient than either Romelu Lukaku or Diego Costa over the same period".

A 28 year old striker with that record, played at Man City, Chelsea and Liverpool.

26 caps and 8 goals in an England shirt.

One of only 6 players to score in his first four games for a club in the Prem.

Yeah, he's not nearly good enough for us.

FFS.

He was not a good fit with Klopp. It happens. His career took a dive. It happens. But it does not make him shit.

I like him, I think he still has a huge amount to give.

He has shown bravery in agreeing to take loan roles at unglamorous clubs (Bolton / WBA) just to get game time. And he has consistently proved to be a fearsome goal scorer.

A class player does not become shit overnight. He may be in the wrong system. He may be working with the wrong manager for him. There are 101 reasons for a striker to go off the boil. But they don't suddenly wake up shit.

I'd take him in a heartbeat.
0 x
GTFOOOCYTPPOC

Pennywise

Postby Pennywise » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:27 am

frogiron wrote:Class player.

To quote Sky Sports:
"In fact, since the start of the 2012/13 campaign, when he made his move from Stamford Bridge to Anfield, his minutes per goal rate of 133.4 puts him behind only Sergio Aguero, Mohamed Salah, Luis Suarez and Harry Kane of the players to have scored at least 20 Premier League goals in that time-frame. Sturridge has been more efficient than either Romelu Lukaku or Diego Costa over the same period".

A 28 year old striker with that record, played at Man City, Chelsea and Liverpool.

FFS.

He was not a good fit with Klopp. It happens. His career took a dive. It happens. But it does not make him shit.

He has shown bravery in agreeing to take loan roles at unglamorous clubs (Bolton / WBA) just to get game time. And he has consistently proved to be a fearsome goal scorer.

A class player does not become shit overnight. He may be in the wrong system. He may be working with the wrong manager for him. There are 101 reasons for a striker to go off the boil. But they don't suddenly wake up shit.

Don't disagree with any of that Frogmeister.

However, you have neglected to mention his quite appalling injury record.
0 x

frogiron

Postby frogiron » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:14 pm

Pennywise wrote:
frogiron wrote:Class player.

To quote Sky Sports:

FFS.

Hello Mate -

I'm not saying he does not have an injury history. Lots of players at the top level do. People like Lukaku who has missed literally a handful of games with injury are rare.

But i think players sometimes get stuck with a sick note or bad attitude tag when it is not entirely justified - or indeed when it pales into insignificance when you look at their performance figures.

A Daniel Sturridge firing on three cylinders is better than most of what we see when at full fitness.

Since starting the 12015/16 season, he has missed 41 games through injury.

Rooney, who nobody would consider a sick note, has missed 30

In comparison, Welbeck has missed 52

Andy Carrol has missed 71.

Kane has missed half the games Sturridge has. But he is 4 years younger, worth maybe 200m on the open market, and is therefore unlikely to consider a loan spell at WBA.

I'm not saying Sturridge does not have a dodgy hip, and a weakness for hammy injuries, but he is perhaps not as bad as his rep suggests, and more importantly, what he delivers in the games he does play is pretty impressive.

As I said, I'd take him in a heartbeat, and I think WBA have done a good deal getting him in.

So there :i am genuinely amused:
0 x
GTFOOOCYTPPOC

Pennywise

Postby Pennywise » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:41 pm

frogiron wrote:
Pennywise wrote:

Hello Mate -

I'm not saying he does not have an injury history. Lots of players at the top level do. People like Lukaku who has missed literally a handful of games with injury are rare.

But i think players sometimes get stuck with a sick note or bad attitude tag when it is not entirely justified - or indeed when it pales into insignificance when you look at their performance figures.

A Daniel Sturridge firing on three cylinders is better than most of what we see when at full fitness.

Since starting the 12015/16 season, he has missed 41 games through injury.

Rooney, who nobody would consider a sick note, has missed 30

In comparison, Welbeck has missed 52

Andy Carrol has missed 71.

Kane has missed half the games Sturridge has. But he is 4 years younger, worth maybe 200m on the open market, and is therefore unlikely to consider a loan spell at WBA.

I'm not saying Sturridge does not have a dodgy hip, and a weakness for hammy injuries, but he is perhaps not as bad as his rep suggests, and more importantly, what he delivers in the games he does play is pretty impressive.

As I said, I'd take him in a heartbeat, and I think WBA have done a good deal getting him in.

So there :i am genuinely amused:

Injury free, so would I mate, but if he were 100% we wouldn't be in with a chance, which tells the story.

He lasted 3 minutes for WBA, that kind of injury record we need to swerve.
0 x

Dagger

Postby Dagger » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:44 pm

if he stayed fit I would agree but if his out for 4 weeks it all could be too late for WBA so for that reason I don't think it is a good deal for them
0 x

Whiskyman

Postby Whiskyman » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:03 pm

frogiron wrote:A 28 year old striker with that record, played at Man City, Chelsea and Liverpool.

FFS.

Not a question, at least not for me, whether he is good enough for us but a case of is he worth taking a risk on given his injury record. Not to mention his, alleged, attitude which has been questioned in the past.

Of course if he played to his potential he would obviously be good enough for us. Too good in fact. And that's the rub isn't it ? If he was playing to his potential on a regular basis there is absolutely no way clubs like West Brom and West Ham would be on his radar.

He's playing, or not as the case may now be, for West Brom for a reason. And it has nothing at all to do with his ability.
0 x
People who claim to be modest usually have a lot to be modest about.

thomasswe

Postby thomasswe » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:10 pm

Not worth the risk. We need more players not a peak in quality whenever fit.

We need dependable players who can fill in when out main players are out.

Sturridge unfortunately seems to be heading at the same direction as Carrol, as in a few games here and there between injuries.
0 x

Return to “Football Talk”