On This Day 14th February 1990

Chat about anything football related here!
Ibbyham

On This Day 14th February 1990

Postby Ibbyham » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:17 am

Was a very painful match for me to remember, lost 6-0 to Oldham Athletic in League Cup Semi-Final at Boundary Park with plastic pitch that we couldn't cope at Valentine Day and Macari days was numbered.

That time I was only 15, in school, no girl-friend, just studying for my degree.

Liverpool won the last league championship in 1990, Nottingham Forest were regular top 8 and won the League Cup and Man Utd won the FA Cup, Fergie's first ever silverware courtesy of Lee Martin only goal in replay against Crystal Palace whom I was hoping to win. There were no f*cking billoinnaire taking overs clubs, 3 foreign players per teams, no over-spending, tickets were reasonable, Gazza making headline for himself and Stephen Hendry first winner out of 7 in The Crucible. The 4 league were in great shape and only Liverpool and Arsenal in regular top 4 side. Referee were good except Hackett whom I hated and never forgave him. Ceefax latest score were my favourite for how West Ham doing. How times has changed.

Plus all of you were young hammers, some refreshingly remember the good old Brooking era.

What about you all?
0 x

Brookbonds73

Re: On This Day 14th February 1990

Postby Brookbonds73 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:17 am

I was there that night Ibbs, and I can tell you, it was a long long night.
1 x
Love a cup of Rosey I do.

Flairon

Postby Flairon » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:33 am

I got married in 1990.
0 x
Flairon

Flairon

Postby Flairon » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:34 am

Flairon wrote:I got married in 1990.

That worked out well....... kickimmuts
0 x
Flairon

Neville Bartos

Postby Neville Bartos » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:40 am

Still a hard watch.

The return leg.

0 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

Marco Boogers Boots

Postby Marco Boogers Boots » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:33 am

Ibbyham wrote:Was a very painful match for me to remember, lost 6-0 to Oldham Athletic in League Cup Semi-Final at Boundary Park with plastic pitch that we couldn't cope at Valentine Day and Macari days was numbered.

That time I was only 15, in school, no girl-friend, just studying for my degree.

Liverpool won the last league championship in 1990, Nottingham Forest were regular top 8 and won the League Cup and Man Utd won the FA Cup, Fergie's first ever silverware courtesy of Lee Martin only goal in replay against Crystal Palace whom I was hoping to win. There were no f*cking billoinnaire taking overs clubs, 3 foreign players per teams, no over-spending, tickets were reasonable, Gazza making headline for himself and Stephen Hendry first winner out of 7 in The Crucible. The 4 league were in great shape and only Liverpool and Arsenal in regular top 4 side. Referee were good except Hackett whom I hated and never forgave him. Ceefax latest score were my favourite for how West Ham doing. How times has changed.

Plus all of you were young hammers, some refreshingly remember the good old Brooking era.

What about you all?

I knew you were a smart bloke, Ibby. But studying for a degree at 15? Fair play.......
2 x

tassiehammer

Postby tassiehammer » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:26 am

Well, Ibby, on this day in 1929, Al Capone got his boys to machine gun down 7 of his opposition. No roses or choccies for them suckers. :lol:
At least our defence only let them get 6. :lol:
2 x

grandad

Postby grandad » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:17 am

The new score board opened that night lol. Took a few pound bits to blow the fucker up I seem to remember. .... I was soaked to skin that day and was a long drive home.
0 x
Once you take the devils shilling its no going back !!!!!!

palerider

Postby palerider » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:54 am

I too was there. It showed how ridiculous plastic pitches were. They gave such an unfair advantage to teams used to playing on them. Ok we were shit but on a proper surface it would only have been 5.
1 x
It's not the principle. It's the money.

eskimo joe

Postby eskimo joe » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:36 am

[quote="Ibbyham"]Was a very painful match for me to remember, lost 6-0 to Oldham Athletic in League Cup Semi-Final at Boundary Park with plastic pitch that we couldn't cope at Valentine Day and Macari s days were numbered.

What about you all?[/quote]

You are describing another valentines day masacre. I think of all the cup defeats that goes down as one if the most dramatic when it comes to the final outcome, we went down fighting in the end but it wasn't enough only making up half the deficit. Yet another case of falling at the final hurdle in a cup that had more sparkle then than it has now.
Last edited by eskimo joe on Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
A good person does things in silence, others strive to be seen as good so scream out their deeds.

Return to “Football Talk”