What %

Chat about anything football related here!
Avit

Re: What %

Postby Avit » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:48 am

4 years of BFFS paved the way for the exodus.......
0 x

ToneLoc

Postby ToneLoc » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:04 am

I know a fair few.
But then I also know a fair few who stopped going because of Brown.
0 x
"Gentlemen you can't fight in here this is the war room"

Newmarket

Postby Newmarket » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:28 am

ToneLoc wrote:I know a fair few.
But then I also know a fair few who stopped going because of Brown.

I stopped going cos I was skint :lol: :lol: :lol:

But now I have a reason that makes me feel better :D
2 x
I hate Thrush he’s an irritating Cunt .

Gerry G

Postby Gerry G » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:58 pm

Whiskyman wrote:
Gerry G wrote:
I know quite a few people who stopped going,or so they say .
I think for a lot of people the club will always be in your heart and you will always support them but the actual match day experience is gone forever,i understand that and think in future the club will be spoken about in pre and post Olympic stadium terms by many of our generation.

Gerry you may well be right. But if you're of my generation we are yesterday's men. I don't know if you've got kids and grandchildren. I have and they have a different outlook on life and, to keep on topic, football.

I support West Ham because of an accident of birth if you like. I lived in Forest gate until I was 14 and the family moved out to Hertfordshire, where I still live now. Back then (late 60's, early 70's) if you wanted to see a game of football you went to an actual. live, game. Now if you want to see a game you can choose between the Premier League, La Liga, Bundesliga, Ligue Un, Serie A and even the Dutch Eredivisie. FFS if you're really sad you can even watch the fucking pub league up in Scotland.

Supporting a club because of where you live, which is how I guess most West Ham fans became West Ham fans, will be a thing of the dim and distant. Kids today want to be associated with success, and good luck to them. When I was growing up and playing football with my friends in the playground at school or on Wanstead Flats in our free time we all wanted to be Bobby Moore or Geoff Hurst because they played just down the road. Some of us had even been lucky enough to actually see them play live.

Today's kids can watch Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo, Kylian Mbappe, Robert Lewandowski and Paulo Dybala by switching on their TV. In my town you see as many Barcelona, Real Madrid and PSG shirts as you see shirts of Spurs ansd Arsenal, never mind West Ham.I consider myself to have a reasonable knowledge of players but over the Christmas holidays we had a couple of big parties at the house and some of my grandchildren's friends parents came round with their kids. Listening to a load of 11 and 12 year olds talking about football was like being on a different planet. They even knew who PSG's back up goalie was FFS.

It's a different world to the one we grew up in and there's fuck all any of us can do about it. Time moves on mate, and we can either move with it or stay stuck in a time warp pining for a return to the way things used to be.

Good post mate Wanstead flats brought back some memories probably ten years behind you i played over there in the late 70's early 80's we would play senrab at capel rd and puma at aldersbrook rd puma was always the better experience as they had dressing rooms lol but yes i get your point I am probably stuck in the past it's not the new West Ham I can't come to terms with its the new game in general my lad is forever hoping we get taken over by an oil sheik but i don't want to be a Chelsea or a Man City youngsters i don't think value the area loyalty we had i still live in east London now but nothing's the same there's nobody to have rivalry or banter with as very few people speak the language but that's a society issue i get that.

My boy laughs at me as i quite often follow barking fc to grounds like cheshunt or bury town while he still has that youthful enthusiasm for the hammers home or away i think over the coming years non league football will thrive due to people like me wanting to watch real games played by real people instead of the theatre like atmospheres at the highest level.like you say we either move forward or stay stuck in the past,I'm just struggling with the way sport and society is today I guess.
0 x
West Ham till i die

Return to “Football Talk”