Dagenham & Redbridge vs West Ham friendly match

Chat about anything football related here!
Brookbonds73

Re: Dagenham & Redbridge vs West Ham friendly match

Postby Brookbonds73 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:11 pm

Whiskyman wrote:
Brookbonds73 wrote:
The thing with Dagenham though mate, was the investor pulled out over a disagreement with the fans over some joke flags/banners. It's bizarre I know, but that from what I can gather was the problem. He'd already pumped money in, but pulled out again and now they're in the shite. They've already had to offload quite a few players just to keep afloat.
That said, I do get you're stance on living within a clubs means, and indeed most of the smaller clubs should go part time if needs must. But there are times when a investor will come along, use a club as a rich mans plaything, find out that there's no money to be made and piss off. That's when the club who were desperate in the first place for some financial backing, invariably go down the tubes.
I think the bloke at billericay is beginning to find that out, that football in the lower leagues doesn't make you money.

You make a very good point about owners/investors. And I guess that's the problem. If a bloke comes along, loans a club money and then pulls out taking his money with him, it's going to cause problems.

Wasn't there once a joke that said
Question} "How do you make a small fortune from running a football club ?
Answer} Start off with a large one.

And as I said before good luck to D & R with their fundraising. Like you I take an interest in my nearest league club, Stevenage. They seem to be a decently run little outfit with no debts and are currently building a new North Stand. But I do sometimes wonder what would happen to them if Phil Wallace, their owner, was to poull out suddenly.

Nice little ground that one Whiskey, I take it the stand in question is the one behind the goal with the road at the back of it.
Do they still have the fair at the back, that they use for a car park?
0 x
Love a cup of Rosey I do.

Whiskyman

Postby Whiskyman » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:55 pm

Brookbonds73 wrote:
Whiskyman wrote:
You make a very good point about owners/investors. And I guess that's the problem. If a bloke comes along, loans a club money and then pulls out taking his money with him, it's going to cause problems.

Wasn't there once a joke that said
Question} "How do you make a small fortune from running a football club ?
Answer} Start off with a large one.

And as I said before good luck to D & R with their fundraising. Like you I take an interest in my nearest league club, Stevenage. They seem to be a decently run little outfit with no debts and are currently building a new North Stand. But I do sometimes wonder what would happen to them if Phil Wallace, their owner, was to poull out suddenly.

Nice little ground that one Whiskey, I take it the stand in question is the one behind the goal with the road at the back of it.
Do they still have the fair at the back, that they use for a car park?

Yes, that's the stand. Apparently it's the only part of the ground that hasn't been upgraded since it opened. Not sure if they have a fair on those fields but they still use the car park on matchdays.

Glenn Roeder is involved with them as a "Managerial Assistant" believe it or not. They seem to have a decent youth policy as well as it happens.
1 x
If it looks like a cunt, walks like a cunt, and talks like a cunt it's either Boris Johnson or Jeremy Corbyn.

ToneLoc

Postby ToneLoc » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:31 pm

As P.R is this week's hot-topic, I see Sullivan wasted no time getting a little bit of his own in on this particular matter.......
https://www.football.london/west-ham-un ... m-14325704

What a nice man !
0 x
"Gentlemen you can't fight in here this is the war room"

Newmarket

Postby Newmarket » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:11 pm

ToneLoc wrote:As P.R is this week's hot-topic, I see Sullivan wasted no time getting a little bit of his own in on this particular matter.......

What a nice man !

Would have been even nicer . And a whole lot more lucrative to have played it at the ILS though ....
0 x
I hate Thrush he’s an irritating Cunt .

andyginbrasil

Postby andyginbrasil » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:12 pm

ToneLoc wrote:As P.R is this week's hot-topic, I see Sullivan wasted no time getting a little bit of his own in on this particular matter.......

What a nice man !

Must of crawled off his death bed...to speak to the press.....sick...lying bastard...scared ..yes
0 x

JayK

Postby JayK » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:59 am

Newmarket wrote:

What a nice man !

Would have been even nicer . And a whole lot more lucrative to have played it at the ILS though ....

We would’ve had to pay for that privilege probably
0 x
COYI!!!

ToneLoc

Postby ToneLoc » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:16 am

JayK wrote:
Newmarket wrote:Would have been even nicer . And a whole lot more lucrative to have played it at the ILS though ....

We would’ve had to pay for that privilege probably

Yep.
I'm surprised Green Nigel didn't sniff another little earner there.
0 x
"Gentlemen you can't fight in here this is the war room"

Flairon

Postby Flairon » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:23 pm

Whiskyman wrote:
Flairon wrote:Have to disagree Whisky. Whereas that is most certainly true of bigger clubs, the margins for the clubs feeding at the bottom of the pool are so much tighter that the loss of attendance or a drop in attendance can change their fortunes almost overnight.

I remember going to the Daggers as a kid and recall that their attendance were pretty decent for a non league club. Their club house was also fairly busy and they were truly a local community club. Sadly those days seem to be behind us. Can only wish well for the club.

Sure it's tighter, much tighter in fact, the lower down the scale you go. But the fundamental principle of any business is not to spend money you don't have. It can obviously be a major problem if an owner pulls out quickly and takes his loans back, although most loans would be structured that they are repaid over a given period. But I'm sure you'll agree that football finances and common sense don't always go hand in hand.

Indeed I would agree with tat mate.
0 x
Flairon

Return to “Football Talk”