£15 Million Net Spend

Chat about anything football related here!
ToneLoc

Re: £15 Million Net Spend

Postby ToneLoc » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:54 am

FlatCapDave wrote:
h69 wrote:The best team for me was 86 only to be cheated by fatboy

He moved pretty fucking well from his own half for that second goal for a fat boy.

Also, we were largely gash in the group stages of 86.
Just about made it out of the group.
Lost to Portugal, drew with Morocco then suddenly woke up versus the Poles.
Steve Hodge's cross for Lineker's second against Poland was superb though.

England's story in almost all World Cups is as soon as we come up against what you'd call a "top" side, we lose.
The only top side I can remember us beating is the Argies in 2002 in the group.
0 x
"Gentlemen you can't fight in here this is the war room"

Whiskyman

Postby Whiskyman » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:50 am

ToneLoc wrote:
FlatCapDave wrote:
He moved pretty fucking well from his own half for that second goal for a fat boy.

Also, we were largely gash in the group stages of 86.

England's story in almost all World Cups is as soon as we come up against what you'd call a "top" side, we lose.

I remember that bloody game. Because of dodgy kick off times our local pub decided they would open early to show it. Being a naive and innocent soul I assumed no one would drink alcohol at such an ungodly hour and decided to watch the game in the pub and partake of one of hearty breakfast options that were going to be offered.

Imagine my shock, horror and dismay when I entered the premises and realised beer was flowing freely and the woman who was supposed to be cooking the aforementioned hearty breakfasts had phoned in sick and the only nourishment available was manufactured by Golden Wonder. The filled rolls that had been knocked up as a substitute to the Cholesterol Special I had been looking forward to had long since been consumed by the greedy bastards who were there before me.

But I manfully decided against flouncing off with the raging hump and instead decided to embark upon what is still to this day the earliest piss up I have ever been involved with. I guess there were probably a record number of sickies thrown that day as well.

The other thing I remember about that tournament is how desperate the organisers were to see South Korea reach the final. The number of dodgy decisions that lot got was amazing.
0 x
People who claim to be modest usually have a lot to be modest about.

ToneLoc

Postby ToneLoc » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:27 am

Whiskyman wrote:
ToneLoc wrote:Also, we were largely gash in the group stages of 86.

I remember that bloody game. Because of dodgy kick off times our local pub decided they would open early to show it. Being a naive and innocent soul I assumed no one would drink alcohol at such an ungodly hour and decided to watch the game in the pub and partake of one of hearty breakfast options that were going to be offered.

Imagine my shock, horror and dismay when I entered the premises and realised beer was flowing freely and the woman who was supposed to be cooking the aforementioned hearty breakfasts had phoned in sick and the only nourishment available was manufactured by Golden Wonder. The filled rolls that had been knocked up as a substitute to the Cholesterol Special I had been looking forward to had long since been consumed by the greedy bastards who were there before me.

But I manfully decided against flouncing off with the raging hump and instead decided to embark upon what is still to this day the earliest piss up I have ever been involved with. I guess there were probably a record number of sickies thrown that day as well.

The other thing I remember about that tournament is how desperate the organisers were to see South Korea reach the final. The number of dodgy decisions that lot got was amazing.

Lots of early starts and early beer for that WC. Blimey.
And yes, I too remember the amount of dodgy decisions for South Korea, especially their games versus Italy and Spain.
By the time they reached the Semi, the cat was out of the bag and even FIFA was up in arms.
So, in the semi they got NO help whatsoever...... the lucky benefactors?......... Ze Germans of course :)
0 x
"Gentlemen you can't fight in here this is the war room"

IronsForever

Postby IronsForever » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:16 pm

3232 wrote:The Chilean boss has told friends he was appointed last month on the back of some significant promises.

But he feels they are not being fulfilled after seeing a string of his suggestions for players to target turned down.

Pellegrini hinted at the behind-the-scenes power battle he is facing during a talk this week back in his native Chile.

He said: "The challenge with West Ham is spectacular. Now I will force the owners to form a competitive team because they are rich but careful with money.

"We are trying to get the owner to loosen up to make an important investment and thus bring the players we need. The idea is to sign a great figure.

Remember that figure of £15 million.

Lying gimp!!
0 x
Come On You Irons!!!!!!!!!!

IronsForever

Postby IronsForever » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:23 pm

Neville Bartos wrote:I don't think anyone actively wants Sullivan to constantly cause problems, but it's a case of once bitten, twice shy.

As for Pastore's £190kpw. That stems from C&H, well known purveyors of hatchet jobs, and saluting whichever way Sullivan's tiger print briefs are blowing in the wind. So who knows if that's accurate?

Call me practical, but shouldn't the final say be down to the man who is being paid £7m a year to improve the team? Or at least his head of player recruitment. £190kpw is the same as Joe Hart and Patrice Evra. Who, last season, were about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

I agree Neville but this guy would want a 3 year contract at least . Evra was here for less than half a season on 75 grand hha. Hart was a waste of dough but they sold Randy which was a cover for the loan.
190 grand a week is 9 Million , 8 hundred and 80 grand a year. Not far short of 30 Million over 3 years . The problem also is that the gap in wages would be too wide. Players like Obiang on 50 grand a week. The gap is to vast.
0 x
Come On You Irons!!!!!!!!!!

Neville Bartos

Postby Neville Bartos » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:09 pm

IronsForever wrote:
Neville Bartos wrote:I don't think anyone actively wants Sullivan to constantly cause problems, but it's a case of once bitten, twice shy.

As for Pastore's £190kpw. That stems from C&H, well known purveyors of hatchet jobs, and saluting whichever way Sullivan's tiger print briefs are blowing in the wind. So who knows if that's accurate?

Call me practical, but shouldn't the final say be down to the man who is being paid £7m a year to improve the team? Or at least his head of player recruitment. £190kpw is the same as Joe Hart and Patrice Evra. Who, last season, were about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

I agree Neville but this guy would want a 3 year contract at least . Evra was here for less than half a season on 75 grand hha. Hart was a waste of dough but they sold Randy which was a cover for the loan.
190 grand a week is 9 Million , 8 hundred and 80 grand a year. Not far short of 30 Million over 3 years . The problem also is that the gap in wages would be too wide. Players like Obiang on 50 grand a week. The gap is to vast.

I don't buy the wages gap thing. Is Pastore at his best worth 4 times more than Obiang?
I'd say Pastore at about 70% of his best is worth that.
Obiang is lucky to be on £50k. We haven't got one CM who is worth that.
0 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

h69

Postby h69 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:03 am

FlatCapDave wrote:
h69 wrote:The best team for me was 86 only to be cheated by fatboy

Amazing what coke can do
0 x

FlatCapDave

Postby FlatCapDave » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:00 pm

h69 wrote:Amazing what coke can do

And a shitload of talent. He was a questionable character, but on the park in his prime he was something else.

Even more amazing when you consider that he did what he did during an era when defenders were allowed to kick fuck out of the opposition with little repercussions. Imagine him today playing with the protection that the likes of Messi enjoys? Fuck me, he'd be unstoppable.
1 x

andyginbrasil

Postby andyginbrasil » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:07 pm

FlatCapDave wrote:
h69 wrote:Amazing what coke can do

And a shitload of talent. He was a questionable character, but on the park in his prime he was something else.

Even more amazing when you consider that he did what he did during an era when defenders were allowed to kick fuck out of the opposition with little repercussions. Imagine him today playing with the protection that the likes of Messi enjoys? Fuck me, he'd be unstoppable.

Only by the the anti doping team........... :i am genuinely amused: :i am genuinely amused:
0 x

FlatCapDave

Postby FlatCapDave » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:10 pm

andyginbrasil wrote:Only by the the anti doping team........... :i am genuinely amused: :i am genuinely amused:

Thing is, I know plenty of druggies who love their coke. None of them can do what he did on a football field.

I know it's hard for some to accept, but he was a fucking class player in his prime.
0 x

Return to “Football Talk”