£15 Million Net Spend

Chat about anything football related here!
User avatar
andyginbrasil
Posts: 1463
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:05 am
Location: Brasil

Re: £15 Million Net Spend

Postby andyginbrasil » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:50 am

I'm surprised Johan Cruyff hasn't been mentioned...I loved the way he played...Pele, Maradonna all gods but for me Cruyff was the master
0 x

User avatar
FlatCapDave
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 9:36 am

Re: £15 Million Net Spend

Postby FlatCapDave » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:04 pm

Gonzo wrote:I never saw Maradona play and I've not seen Messi.


You've seen Messi on the telly, surely?
0 x

User avatar
Whiskyman
Posts: 4866
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:05 pm

Re: £15 Million Net Spend

Postby Whiskyman » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:21 pm

h69 wrote:
FlatCapDave wrote:
Thing is, I know plenty of druggies who love their coke. None of them can do what he did on a football field.

I know it's hard for some to accept, but he was a fucking class player in his prime.


I never doubted he had bags of talent but cant give the bloke the time of day given he repeatedly cheated.
In fact, the fact he had all that talent and cheated makes it a lot worse IMO


Must admit I never saw him as a serial cheater. No more than hundreds of others anyway.

Juat out of idle curiosity would you give the time of day to Julian Dicks. ? For me he was a player who had the ability to win many caps for his country but consistently let himself, and often his team mates, down by his thuggish on field behaviour. And yet is idolised by many West Ham fans.
1 x
People who claim to be modest usually have a lot to be modest about.

User avatar
h69
Posts: 2300
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:51 pm
Location: Ruislip, Middlesex

Re: £15 Million Net Spend

Postby h69 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:35 pm

Whiskyman wrote:
h69 wrote:
I never doubted he had bags of talent but cant give the bloke the time of day given he repeatedly cheated.
In fact, the fact he had all that talent and cheated makes it a lot worse IMO


Must admit I never saw him as a serial cheater. No more than hundreds of others anyway.

Juat out of idle curiosity would you give the time of day to Julian Dicks. ? For me he was a player who had the ability to win many caps for his country but consistently let himself, and often his team mates, down by his thuggish on field behaviour. And yet is idolised by many West Ham fans.


I dont see it as the same......if he was constantly getting sent off for conning the ref then I might agree with you but being sent off for 'robust' tackles or fighting are disappointing but certainly not cheating in my book....but we all have our own opinions, I will always wonder how long Maradona was drugged up for after that display in 1994.

Great player but I have no time for anyone using any kind of banned drugs in sport
0 x

User avatar
terrya1965
Posts: 2655
Joined: Sun May 29, 2016 8:48 pm

Re: £15 Million Net Spend

Postby terrya1965 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:24 pm

h69 wrote:
Whiskyman wrote:
Must admit I never saw him as a serial cheater. No more than hundreds of others anyway.

Juat out of idle curiosity would you give the time of day to Julian Dicks. ? For me he was a player who had the ability to win many caps for his country but consistently let himself, and often his team mates, down by his thuggish on field behaviour. And yet is idolised by many West Ham fans.


I dont see it as the same......if he was constantly getting sent off for conning the ref then I might agree with you but being sent off for 'robust' tackles or fighting are disappointing but certainly not cheating in my book....but we all have our own opinions, I will always wonder how long Maradona was drugged up for after that display in 1994.

Great player but I have no time for anyone using any kind of banned drugs in sport


Maradona will always be tainted,but he was magic.I see him play in real life and he defied gravity.He did it on the biggest stage of all,with an average team in 86.He would have won the World Cup that year in any team,he was that good.Pele always had a good Brazil team round him and never came to Europe to prove himself,which was a shame really.
1 x

User avatar
Whiskyman
Posts: 4866
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:05 pm

Re: £15 Million Net Spend

Postby Whiskyman » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:51 pm

h69 wrote:
Whiskyman wrote:
Must admit I never saw him as a serial cheater. No more than hundreds of others anyway.

Juat out of idle curiosity would you give the time of day to Julian Dicks. ? For me he was a player who had the ability to win many caps for his country but consistently let himself, and often his team mates, down by his thuggish on field behaviour. And yet is idolised by many West Ham fans.


I dont see it as the same......if he was constantly getting sent off for conning the ref then I might agree with you but being sent off for 'robust' tackles or fighting are disappointing but certainly not cheating in my book....but we all have our own opinions, I will always wonder how long Maradona was drugged up for after that display in 1994.

Great player but I have no time for anyone using any kind of banned drugs in sport


As you say it's all about opinions. And mine is that a robust challenge, Bonds style, is usually a million miles removed from a Dicks one. And for me a deliberate foul. as opposed to an honest attempt to win the ball which gets the player instead, is as much "cheating" as a dive or a hand of god.

As for drugs imo anyone who uses them is a total prat. But at the end of the day it's their body and if they want to screw around with it who am I to stop them. And I actually suspect most people taking part in professional sport, particularly endurance sports like cycling, are probably using all sorts of chemicals to boost their performance anyway. How often have we seen a Mr Squeaky Clean be exposed for using something which is banned, and then be insulted by a litany of "oh, it must have been in my cough nedicine" excuses.
0 x
People who claim to be modest usually have a lot to be modest about.

User avatar
h69
Posts: 2300
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:51 pm
Location: Ruislip, Middlesex

Re: £15 Million Net Spend

Postby h69 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:59 pm

Whiskyman wrote:
h69 wrote:
I dont see it as the same......if he was constantly getting sent off for conning the ref then I might agree with you but being sent off for 'robust' tackles or fighting are disappointing but certainly not cheating in my book....but we all have our own opinions, I will always wonder how long Maradona was drugged up for after that display in 1994.

Great player but I have no time for anyone using any kind of banned drugs in sport


As you say it's all about opinions. And mine is that a robust challenge, Bonds style, is usually a million miles removed from a Dicks one. And for me a deliberate foul. as opposed to an honest attempt to win the ball which gets the player instead, is as much "cheating" as a dive or a hand of god.

As for drugs imo anyone who uses them is a total prat. But at the end of the day it's their body and if they want to screw around with it who am I to stop them. And I actually suspect most people taking part in professional sport, particularly endurance sports like cycling, are probably using all sorts of chemicals to boost their performance anyway. How often have we seen a Mr Squeaky Clean be exposed for using something which is banned, and then be insulted by a litany of "oh, it must have been in my cough nedicine" excuses.


I agree that its their bodies...but when people are paying to watch sport, I have no time for any of them that do. It cheats the fans far more than fouls and red cards which are part and parcel of the game. Cycling is indeed full of them but I doubt most footballers are although I am sure some are.

Its not the hand of God I object to with Maradona....it was his love of performance enhancing drugs that taints him for me.
0 x

User avatar
Whiskyman
Posts: 4866
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:05 pm

Re: £15 Million Net Spend

Postby Whiskyman » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:16 pm

h69 wrote:
Whiskyman wrote:
As you say it's all about opinions. And mine is that a robust challenge, Bonds style, is usually a million miles removed from a Dicks one. And for me a deliberate foul. as opposed to an honest attempt to win the ball which gets the player instead, is as much "cheating" as a dive or a hand of god.

As for drugs imo anyone who uses them is a total prat. But at the end of the day it's their body and if they want to screw around with it who am I to stop them. And I actually suspect most people taking part in professional sport, particularly endurance sports like cycling, are probably using all sorts of chemicals to boost their performance anyway. How often have we seen a Mr Squeaky Clean be exposed for using something which is banned, and then be insulted by a litany of "oh, it must have been in my cough nedicine" excuses.


I agree that its their bodies...but when people are paying to watch sport, I have no time for any of them that do. It cheats the fans far more than fouls and red cards which are part and parcel of the game. Cycling is indeed full of them but I doubt most footballers are although I am sure some are.

Its not the hand of God I object to with Maradona....it was his love of performance enhancing drugs that taints him for me.


I guess it could also be asked when is a drug not a drug? There are so many legitimate products which supposedly enhance this or that I suppose it's fair to ask what the criteria are for declaring something illegal. And when I was paying to watch West Ham I wouldn't have objected at all if Andy Carroll, for example, had been given something which enabled him to play more regularly or if Sam Byram was being pumped full of chemicals to make him at least look like he could play football. Providing it was done with their knowledge and agreement of course.
0 x
People who claim to be modest usually have a lot to be modest about.

User avatar
FlatCapDave
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 9:36 am

Re: £15 Million Net Spend

Postby FlatCapDave » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:50 pm

Interesting to hear his take on it all now;

“I was 24 when I started taking drugs. I was at Barcelona,” said Maradona in an interview with Canale 5. “It was the biggest mistake I've ever made in my life.

“My daughter asked me to live for her while I was in a coma. I thank God because he listened to her and woke me up.”

Maradona was asked whether money, women or drugs were the biggest problem in his career.

“Drugs were the biggest problem – drugs kill,” said Maradona.

“I'm very fortunate to be here speaking to you. If I had continued I would have died. No doubt."


I did read in his book that he was hooked on painkillers due to the type of treatment he was given during games, and after his leg was broken by a tackle in a game.

Looking back at some of the footage, how he managed to survive some of the tackles is beyond me. He got absolutely booted to fuck in most games.
1 x

User avatar
mkhammer
Posts: 2605
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 11:12 am

Re: £15 Million Net Spend

Postby mkhammer » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:39 pm

Whiskyman wrote:
h69 wrote:
I never doubted he had bags of talent but cant give the bloke the time of day given he repeatedly cheated.
In fact, the fact he had all that talent and cheated makes it a lot worse IMO


Must admit I never saw him as a serial cheater. No more than hundreds of others anyway.

Juat out of idle curiosity would you give the time of day to Julian Dicks. ? For me he was a player who had the ability to win many caps for his country but consistently let himself, and often his team mates, down by his thuggish on field behaviour. And yet is idolised by many West Ham fans.



Thing with Dicksy and you gotta love him,bit of a Irons Ledge....is that he did go a bit nuts at times
remember him stamping all over John Spencer of the cheats one time...made me cringe...

Always compared him to Stuart Pearce,played the game similar...SP would go a bit mad at times
as well...

Difference why Pearce played for England and not Dicksy,was SP knew he was a Full Back...
Dicksy tried to do Everything,and was caught out of position so many times,got found out
when he went to the Scouse....

Fair dues for having commitment,but you've got a job to do in the team,and you can't be
chasing every ball down all over the pitch...

Think I gave as many oh FFS Dicksy.........as goron son get in theres..... :i am genuinely amused:

But like I said you gotta love him.....
0 x


Return to “Football Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: andyginbrasil, Castiron, smiffy252, terrya1965, ToneLoc and 22 guests