£15 Million Net Spend

Chat about anything football related here!
h69

Re: £15 Million Net Spend

Postby h69 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:32 pm

Whiskyman wrote:
h69 wrote:
I agree that its their bodies...but when people are paying to watch sport, I have no time for any of them that do. It cheats the fans far more than fouls and red cards which are part and parcel of the game. Cycling is indeed full of them but I doubt most footballers are although I am sure some are.

Its not the hand of God I object to with Maradona....it was his love of performance enhancing drugs that taints him for me.

I guess it could also be asked when is a drug not a drug? There are so many legitimate products which supposedly enhance this or that I suppose it's fair to ask what the criteria are for declaring something illegal. And when I was paying to watch West Ham I wouldn't have objected at all if Andy Carroll, for example, had been given something which enabled him to play more regularly or if Sam Byram was being pumped full of chemicals to make him at least look like he could play football. Providing it was done with their knowledge and agreement of course.

Doesnt matter, there is a list. For a sport to have any credibility, noone should be taking anything on that list....that way, there is at least a level playing field there if nowhere else.
0 x

terrya1965

Postby terrya1965 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:45 pm

mkhammer wrote:
Whiskyman wrote:
Must admit I never saw him as a serial cheater. No more than hundreds of others anyway.

Juat out of idle curiosity would you give the time of day to Julian Dicks. ? For me he was a player who had the ability to win many caps for his country but consistently let himself, and often his team mates, down by his thuggish on field behaviour. And yet is idolised by many West Ham fans.

Thing with Dicksy and you gotta love him,bit of a Irons Ledge....is that he did go a bit nuts at times
remember him stamping all over John Spencer of the cheats one time...made me cringe...

Always compared him to Stuart Pearce,played the game similar...SP would go a bit mad at times
as well...

Difference why Pearce played for England and not Dicksy,was SP knew he was a Full Back...
Dicksy tried to do Everything,and was caught out of position so many times,got found out
when he went to the Scouse....

Fair dues for having commitment,but you've got a job to do in the team,and you can't be
chasing every ball down all over the pitch...

Think I gave as many oh FFS Dicksy.........as goron son get in theres..... :i am genuinely amused:

But like I said you gotta love him.....

Pearce could control his aggression,Dicksey couldnt.Both were tough has nails,but that was the difference.
0 x

Whiskyman

Postby Whiskyman » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:09 pm

h69 wrote:
Whiskyman wrote:
I guess it could also be asked when is a drug not a drug? There are so many legitimate products which supposedly enhance this or that I suppose it's fair to ask what the criteria are for declaring something illegal. And when I was paying to watch West Ham I wouldn't have objected at all if Andy Carroll, for example, had been given something which enabled him to play more regularly or if Sam Byram was being pumped full of chemicals to make him at least look like he could play football. Providing it was done with their knowledge and agreement of course.

Doesnt matter, there is a list. For a sport to have any credibility, noone should be taking anything on that list....that way, there is at least a level playing field there if nowhere else.

That's kind of my point. Some drugs are legal. Some drugs are not. Make of that what you will.
0 x
People who claim to be modest usually have a lot to be modest about.

Whiskyman

Postby Whiskyman » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:11 pm

mkhammer wrote:
Whiskyman wrote:
Must admit I never saw him as a serial cheater. No more than hundreds of others anyway.

Juat out of idle curiosity would you give the time of day to Julian Dicks. ? For me he was a player who had the ability to win many caps for his country but consistently let himself, and often his team mates, down by his thuggish on field behaviour. And yet is idolised by many West Ham fans.

Thing with Dicksy and you gotta love him,bit of a Irons Ledge....is that he did go a bit nuts at times
remember him stamping all over John Spencer of the cheats one time...made me cringe...

Always compared him to Stuart Pearce,played the game similar...SP would go a bit mad at times
as well...

Difference why Pearce played for England and not Dicksy,was SP knew he was a Full Back...
Dicksy tried to do Everything,and was caught out of position so many times,got found out
when he went to the Scouse....

Fair dues for having commitment,but you've got a job to do in the team,and you can't be
chasing every ball down all over the pitch...

Think I gave as many oh FFS Dicksy.........as goron son get in theres..... :i am genuinely amused:

But like I said you gotta love him.....

Sorry mate. I didn't. You said it yourself. He was a defensive liability at times. And also a loose cannon who could cost the team with his indiscipline. Could never understood why so many of our fans put him on a pedestal.
0 x

andyginbrasil

Postby andyginbrasil » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:14 pm

Probably because we all like a good crunching tackle....
0 x

Neville Bartos

Postby Neville Bartos » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:09 pm

Because the bloke always played like his life depended on it.
You can be the most useless cunt in the world, but if you leave every ounce of effort on the pitch it makes an impression.
We were shite most of the time Dicks played for us, but I don't ever remember him looking disinterested, or handing in a transfer request when the shit hit the fan. And all that with knee problems.
In his later career Dicks discipline wasn't a big problem. His PL stats (92 onwards) show one red card in 130+ appearances.
1 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

Gonzo

Postby Gonzo » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:28 pm

FlatCapDave wrote:
Gonzo wrote:I never saw Maradona play and I've not seen Messi.

You've seen Messi on the telly, surely?

Of course but I meant players I've seen live. There is a certain atmosphere created in a stadium when a player is truly brilliant. I've no doubt Messi and Maradona created the same sense of anticipation but I've never seen them. Shame.

TV can demonstrate visually what a player can do but it misses the sound, feel, smell and excitement that live sport brings.

I regard to the likes of Ronaldo, Gerrard and Henry it was outright fear. That nervous awareness of the crowd that they are capable of fucking you up any time they get the ball.
0 x

Whiskyman

Postby Whiskyman » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:29 am

andyginbrasil wrote:Probably because we all like a good crunching tackle....

Do we ? Where does that fit in to the "West Ham Way" flowing football philosophy ?

I loved Bonzo's approach to the game. I detested Dicks. I'll leave you to work out why.
0 x

eskimo joe

Postby eskimo joe » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:56 am

Whiskyman wrote:
andyginbrasil wrote:Probably because we all like a good crunching tackle....

Do we ? Where does that fit in to the "West Ham Way" flowing football philosophy ?

I loved Bonzo's approach to the game. I detested Dicks. I'll leave you to work out why.

Could it be that Bonds was hard without being mindless where as Dicks was just a bull?
0 x
A good person does things in silence, others strive to be seen as good so scream out their deeds.

h69

Postby h69 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:03 pm

Whiskyman wrote:
h69 wrote:

That's kind of my point. Some drugs are legal. Some drugs are not. Make of that what you will.

Not relevant to my point. I just want all players to abide by the same rules when it comes to drugs. If it is legal for one it should be legal for all and vice versa.
0 x

Return to “Football Talk”