World Cup are you bovvered.

Chat about anything football related here!
Brookbonds73

World Cup are you bovvered.

Postby Brookbonds73 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:38 pm

Normally when the World Cup comes around I can't wait for it to start. Understandably as a kid I was riveted to the thing, watching players from countries you would never see over here, was great stuff. Even later on after being in Mexico in 86 and again at Italia 90 I was unfazed, the whole thing used to excite me and it still did, right up until the last one in Brazil.
But this time I really can't be arsed with any of it tbh. I'll still watch some matches when I can, but the enthusiasm isn't there this time. I don't know whether it's the politics involved, the brown envelopes going backwards and forwards, or sheer boredom at the thought of the usual suspects winning it again.
The only thing that I know for a fact ( with me anyway!) is that I don't really like any of our squad, in fact I find most of them nauseating. The so called high profile players are all unlikeable cunts and the rest I know fuck all about and couldn't care less.
I suppose I'll just have to blame the dwarf, he's a cunt, and he wears that fucking ruskie hat!
What say you?
1 x
Love a cup of Rosey I do.

Ron Manager

Re: World Cup are you bovvered.

Postby Ron Manager » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:46 pm

I want England to do well because I'm English, although the lack of any West Ham player in the squad dilutes the interest. Like yourself I'll watch some games, all the England ones, but I'll only get bovvered if we make it to the last 8, which is unlikely.
0 x

eskimo joe

Postby eskimo joe » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:51 pm

Brookbonds73 wrote:Normally when the World Cup comes around I can't wait for it to start. Understandably as a kid I was riveted to the thing, watching players from countries you would never see over here, was great stuff. Even later on after being in Mexico in 86 and again at Italia 90 I was unfazed, the whole thing used to excite me and it still did, right up until the last one in Brazil.
But this time I really can't be arsed with any of it tbh. I'll still watch some matches when I can, but the enthusiasm isn't there this time. I don't know whether it's the politics involved, the brown envelopes going backwards and forwards, or sheer boredom at the thought of the usual suspects winning it again.
The only thing that I know for a fact ( with me anyway!) is that I don't really like any of our squad, in fact I find most of them nauseating. The so called high profile players are all unlikeable cunts and the rest I know fuck all about and couldn't care less.
I suppose I'll just have to blame the dwarf, he's a cunt, and he wears that fucking ruskie hat!
What say you?

I say i now know that Sullivan chose not to be tall so he only had to pay for shorts to cover his legs.

Im the same as you. Just remembered it starts on thursday.
0 x
A good person does things in silence, others strive to be seen as good so scream out their deeds.

Neville Bartos

Postby Neville Bartos » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:53 pm

The last World Cup I enjoyed was Italia 90.
Haven't cared much at all since then.
1 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

Dicksies Diner

Postby Dicksies Diner » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:20 pm

To many Tottscum players in the England team for me to wish them to do well. I really hope they lose all Thier games. Tottenhamland I refuse to support.
1 x
Love,peace and harmony to all Hammers.
Fuck the board.

rhodesiron

Postby rhodesiron » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:35 pm

Gave up watching England during the Erikkson era. Total cunts, the lot of 'em!
1 x
The liver is evil & must be punished

h69

Postby h69 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:51 pm

Brookbonds73 wrote:Normally when the World Cup comes around I can't wait for it to start. Understandably as a kid I was riveted to the thing, watching players from countries you would never see over here, was great stuff. Even later on after being in Mexico in 86 and again at Italia 90 I was unfazed, the whole thing used to excite me and it still did, right up until the last one in Brazil.
What say you?

Hit the nail on the head when you mention the part in bold above......I remember enjoying the 82 world cup and watching a fabulous Brazil side with Socrates, Zico, Eder and Junior in it where only one of their players (Falcao) was playing in Europe. They played a completely different way to everyone else. I remember them beating the Argies and Eder taking an incredible free kick that came off the bar from about 40 yards out and that game with Italy was superb....little Paolo Rossi and the score going back and forward. Never seen any of them playing before, it was superb.

Nowadays, I can almost name the squads of most of the big sides and half the Brazil side play in England. Its not the same and saturated TV coverage plus the big clubs money means anyone decent is either in the CL where we see them often or will be by the time the final is over. Ruins it for me.......but then again so does having English cup draws in Vietnam and giving bigger teams higher shares in the money.
2 x

Castiron

Postby Castiron » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:57 pm

Is there really anyone in that England team that is a likeable fella from a spectators point of view?.
Vardy, Kane, Alli, Dier, Sterling, Henderson, Cahill, Rose? :x
At least back in the Day, Shearer, Sheringham, Gazza, Ince and the like genuinely wore the shirt with pride.
0 x

Whiskyman

Postby Whiskyman » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:57 pm

Couldn't really care less who wins it. International sport today, with players representing countries other than the one of their birth, and England teams being managed by Swedes and Italians totally defeats the object of it imo.

But I'll watch it, or at least I'll watch the games that I think will be entertaining because I love the game.
0 x
People who claim to be modest usually have a lot to be modest about.

mkhammer

Postby mkhammer » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:09 pm

Used to be THE most exciting thing for me loved it.....
England Shirt on for 3/4 weeks solid....watching the games in pubs with your mates,
practically crying when we got knocked out.......all gone now...
I'll watch and enjoy the games cos I love footie....but that edge has gone,just don't relate to the
players anymore.

And certainly don't help watching 5 spuds running around at times,I just can't support that
no way.

And sorry but at this moment I don't want England to win it,have a good one but not win it,
want my everlasting memory to be Bobby lifting the cup,and the thought of seeing Kane
replicating that,and seeing it every time the world cup is mentioned.......NO THANKS.......
1 x

Return to “Football Talk”