I remember 4th July 1990 like yesterday.

Chat about anything football related here!
andyginbrasil

I remember 4th July 1990 like yesterday.

Postby andyginbrasil » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:38 pm

I was on holiday in Bali....the game was on about 3am. But I still remember where I was and how low I felt looking at the other supporters seeing the sadness, I said I would never let it get to me like that again. Wrong..6 years later ..Euro 1996....same opposition....another semi final...another penalty shootout ....another loss.....never again I said...and now...2018.....World Cup semi final....I'm getting that feeling of expectation again.......
1 x

Brookbonds73

Re: I remember 4th July 1990 like yesterday.

Postby Brookbonds73 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:14 pm

andyginbrasil wrote:I was on holiday in Bali....the game was on about 3am. But I still remember where I was and how low I felt looking at the other supporters seeing the sadness, I said I would never let it get to me like that again. Wrong..6 years later ..Euro 1996....same opposition....another semi final...another penalty shootout ....another loss.....never again I said...and now...2018.....World Cup semi final....I'm getting that feeling of expectation again.......

I was there Andy, trust me mate it was sickening.
0 x
Love a cup of Rosey I do.

Neville Bartos

Postby Neville Bartos » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:37 pm

No Germans or Brazilians in the way this time though. Not even a cheating Argie coke head to contend with.
Mind you no England failure ever was as bad as that Gerrard goal. I felt like my soul had been pulled out. :(
4 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

terrya1965

Postby terrya1965 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:38 pm

1990 was one,if not most memorable summer ever and I`m 53 now.

England reaching the Semi Finals was the pinnacle of that summer.It was a similar one to this,with sun shining most of the time.I would admit I still feel that disappointment today,even after 28 years.We were better than Germany,but just couldn`t score again. I was heartbroken.

This year is so unexpected and nobody in a million years would have thought we`d be in the Semi Finals.I said to my kids,22,19 and 15,take it all in,because this may never happen again in your life time.I said,you will be telling your kids of the memories of 2018,like I 'm telling you of 1990.

Could we go,a few steps further,who knows,but we are so enjoying this moment.
1 x

terrya1965

Postby terrya1965 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:49 pm

The 1990 World Cup actually changed football in this country.

It was at it`s lowest ebb after Hillsborough in 89,plus Heysal and the Bradford Fire were still fresh in the mind.Attendances were falling and falling,then Gazza and Co gave us the phenomenon that the Premier League is now.It changed the game.People fell back in love with the game and 2 and half years later the PL was born.All down to 1990 IMO.
0 x

andyginbrasil

Postby andyginbrasil » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:18 pm

My problem is I remember the 66 cup final, and always thought we were going to win it again soon, got to the quarters and semi but never got to that elusive final again. Will we get there this time? Sometimes I think its better to fail miserably, like the last WC rather than get so close and get pushed out in a semi final. But I am silently hoping we go all the way again. So I can tell my grandchildren I saw England win 2 world cups.....
1 x

mitford

Postby mitford » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:38 am

mexico 86 i was 7 and can only remember my dad and granddad going nuts about maradona cheating, but i remember everything about 1990 and watching the semi final in my bedroom with my dad and my brother (sadly not my grandad passed away in 88) and balling my eyes out when we lost on penalties, then my step mom coming up and saying whats the matter with him then (me) and my dad just replied are you on the wind up we've just lost the world cup semi final on penalties and your asking whats up, she said nothing turned round and went back down stairs
0 x

OZHAMMER

Postby OZHAMMER » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:54 am

mitford wrote:mexico 86 i was 7 and can only remember my dad and granddad going nuts about maradona cheating, but i remember everything about 1990 and watching the semi final in my bedroom with my dad and my brother (sadly not my grandad passed away in 88) and balling my eyes out when we lost on penalties, then my step mom coming up and saying whats the matter with him then (me) and my dad just replied are you on the wind up we've just lost the world cup semi final on penalties and your asking whats up, she said nothing turned round and went back down stairs

I imagined your old man as Rene from Allo Allo... “You stupid woman. Can you not see we just went out of the World Cup on penalties?”

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy ... 45-h175-nc
1 x

mkhammer

Postby mkhammer » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:54 am

No comparison for me.....I'm ashamed to say I'm seriously struggling to get into it this
time...I'm hardly cheering when we win/score......I'm gutted....really heartbroken..

It's the Spud effect....I just can't get passed it.....the years and years of shit we're gonna get
from them.....doesn't bear thinking about....(I know lots of them who are mates)..
It's the only thing I've got over them...."we won the world cup"..

To see Sir Bobbys image of hoisting the cup, replaced with Kanes in the future....be really tough...

Feel like a bloody traitor.....but there it is.....
1 x

OZHAMMER

Postby OZHAMMER » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:14 am

mkhammer wrote:No comparison for me.....I'm ashamed to say I'm seriously struggling to get into it this
time...I'm hardly cheering when we win/score......I'm gutted....really heartbroken..

It's the Spud effect....I just can't get passed it.....the years and years of shit we're gonna get
from them.....doesn't bear thinking about....(I know lots of them who are mates)..
It's the only thing I've got over them...."we won the world cup"..

To see Sir Bobbys image of hoisting the cup, replaced with Kanes in the future....be really tough...

Feel like a bloody traitor.....but there it is.....

I said the same on the last match thread; a WC win to England with three Spurs scoring in the final - it’s going to sting to hear it.
0 x

Return to “Football Talk”