Another Leicester Story?

Chat about anything football related here!
Gonzo

Re: Another Leicester Story?

Postby Gonzo » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:13 pm

Castiron wrote:You tell 'em mate. The Prem trophie's coming home.

More like popping over for the first time
0 x

Whiskyman

Postby Whiskyman » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:44 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Ngugi Rick wrote:Is it just me or is everyone having a go at thinking that may be, just may be, we may leave the world with it's jaws dropped. Of course after the first friendly 2 days ago, I'm sure I am the only one thinking that we may be title contenders.

However just as LCFC, we have a coach with great experience(no disrespect to Ranieri but I believe that Pelle might as well be miles ahead). Pellegrini's CV speaks for itself and I believe that's why the two Daves went for him to show the intent the club has in conquring Europe and not just England.

Key to LCFC's success was the great midfield presence they had. A midfield with a creative maestro and a war horse in the form of a defensive midfielder. This was key in linking their attack and their defence leading to them being a cohesive unit in both defense and attack. With the signing of Filipe Anderson looming(considering that Manu isn't fit to play atleast for half of the season) and the upcoming partnership of Jack and Mr. Westham, I believe we are not far off from being similar to the team that won the title three seasons ago. We also have a beefed up defence and a strike force that may be woken with the arrival of the new manager.

The owners acts of generosity and not the shrewdness that saw them face harsh criticism last season, is also a key factor for this great ambition.

For now I'll keep waiting and hoping for the best. I also hope to get atleast someone to share similar optimism.

COYI!!!
whufc_crest :)

If we were to sign Anderson and the other fella to compliment Wilshere we'd have a very fine team I'm sure

lineup.png

Not with that formation though mate. :lol: :lol: Fredericks and Cresswell are OK going forward but defensively----forget it. If we set up like that imo Rice would end up playing at the back leaving Wilshere hung out to dry in the centre of midfield with Fredericks and Cresswell pushing up alongside him.

Tbh I do like it that we've offered Newcastle a decent wedge for Jamaal Lascelles though. Would be a quality acquisition if we can pull it off.
0 x
If it looks like a cunt, walks like a cunt, and talks like a cunt it's either Boris Johnson or Jeremy Corbyn.

Gonzo

Postby Gonzo » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:39 am

Whiskyman wrote:
Gonzo wrote:

If we were to sign Anderson and the other fella to compliment Wilshere we'd have a very fine team I'm sure

lineup.png

Not with that formation though mate. :i am genuinely amused: :i am genuinely amused: Fredericks and Cresswell are OK going forward but defensively----forget it. If we set up like that imo Rice would end up playing at the back leaving Wilshere hung out to dry in the centre of midfield with Fredericks and Cresswell pushing up alongside him.

Tbh I do like it that we've offered Newcastle a decent wedge for Jamaal Lascelles though. Would be a quality acquisition if we can pull it off.

What do I know about how Pellegrini will set-up? I do have a hunch that it will be all out attack though
0 x

h69

Postby h69 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:47 am

Shortshanks wrote:
Ngugi Rick wrote:Is it just me or is everyone having a go at thinking that may be, just may be, we may leave the world with it's jaws dropped. Of course after the first friendly 2 days ago, I'm sure I am the only one thinking that we may be title contenders.

However just as LCFC, we have a coach with great experience(no disrespect to Ranieri but I believe that Pelle might as well be miles ahead). Pellegrini's CV speaks for itself and I believe that's why the two Daves went for him to show the intent the club has in conquring Europe and not just England.

Key to LCFC's success was the great midfield presence they had. A midfield with a creative maestro and a war horse in the form of a defensive midfielder. This was key in linking their attack and their defence leading to them being a cohesive unit in both defense and attack. With the signing of Filipe Anderson looming(considering that Manu isn't fit to play atleast for half of the season) and the upcoming partnership of Jack and Mr. Westham, I believe we are not far off from being similar to the team that won the title three seasons ago. We also have a beefed up defence and a strike force that may be woken with the arrival of the new manager.

The owners acts of generosity and not the shrewdness that saw them face harsh criticism last season, is also a key factor for this great ambition.

For now I'll keep waiting and hoping for the best. I also hope to get atleast someone to share similar optimism.

COYI!!!
whufc_crest :)

I was enjoying your read until you put Mr Westham in midfield. Isn't that and hasn't it been the problem for the last few years picking players not on ability but who you are. Germany found that out to their cost. The world cup has shown one thing above all and that's pace is the key and I'm afraid if your Mr Westham is anyway near our midfield we haven't progressed at all and will get ripped apart by the sides with pace and that's nothing personal against anyone.

goodpost:)

Completely agree. One of the reasons I am quite optimistic about this season is that Pellegrini and Husillos seem to also believe this.

We have to be more ruthless. Kouyate played terribly last season, he has to go. Obiang is a good player but has missed the last quarter of the last two seasons and Mark slows the game down.

As you rightly point out, Germany were too loyal to their previous winners and suffered. Ditto Spain and France before them.

Winning teams do not pick players on sentiment but on form. We had no choice as we didnt have enough players last year and that will take 2 or 3 windows to fix but we seem to moving in the right direction.
0 x

Whiskyman

Postby Whiskyman » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:36 am

Gonzo wrote:
Whiskyman wrote:
Not with that formation though mate. :i am genuinely amused: :i am genuinely amused: Fredericks and Cresswell are OK going forward but defensively----forget it. If we set up like that imo Rice would end up playing at the back leaving Wilshere hung out to dry in the centre of midfield with Fredericks and Cresswell pushing up alongside him.

What do I know about how Pellegrini will set-up? I do have a hunch that it will be all out attack though

None of us know yet what formation or style he will use but I doubt if all out attack will be on the agenda. He wasn't gung ho at City or when he had success at Villarreal and Malaga. But his teams did play with a bit of a swagger, which should make for a decent watch.

And I hope we manage to pull off the Lascelles deal.
0 x
If it looks like a cunt, walks like a cunt, and talks like a cunt it's either Boris Johnson or Jeremy Corbyn.

Gonzo

Postby Gonzo » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:49 am

Whiskyman wrote:
Gonzo wrote:

None of us know yet what formation or style he will use but I doubt if all out attack will be on the agenda. He wasn't gung ho at City or when he had success at Villarreal and Malaga. But his teams did play with a bit of a swagger, which should make for a decent watch.

I don't think that is even remotely likely mate. I've been trying to sort out a media pass for the Wycombe game and from what I could tell yesterday there has been no bid and nor will there be unless Ogbonna is sold. The Corinthians fella is genuine though.
0 x

Whiskyman

Postby Whiskyman » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:07 am

Gonzo wrote:
Whiskyman wrote:

I don't think that is even remotely likely mate. I've been trying to sort out a media pass for the Wycombe game and from what I could tell yesterday there has been no bid and nor will there be unless Ogbonna is sold. The Corinthians fella is genuine though.

Makes sense I guess. If we bring in the Paraguayan we will have him, Diop, Ogbonna, Reid, Oxford & Rice (although I hope he plays in midfield tbh) all pushing for the CD role. Personally if we do manage to pull off the Lascelles deal (my understanding from a Geordieland contact is that Newcastle have rejected at 25 million bid) I'd rather see Oxford go than Ogbonna.

But all speculation at the moment anyway. ;)

However, nice to see the nucleus of a decent squad forming. On paper at least.
1 x

h69

Postby h69 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:32 am

Whiskyman wrote:
Gonzo wrote:

Makes sense I guess. If we bring in the Paraguayan we will have him, Diop, Ogbonna, Reid, Oxford & Rice (although I hope he plays in midfield tbh) all pushing for the CD role. Personally if we do manage to pull off the Lascelles deal (my understanding from a Geordieland contact is that Newcastle have rejected at 25 million bid) I'd rather see Oxford go than Ogbonna.

Balbuena may not get a work permit. He has not played enough games for his country so it may be touch and go.
0 x

mkhammer

Postby mkhammer » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:36 am

Whiskyman wrote:
Gonzo wrote:

Funny thing.....in all the transfer activity....the role we needed most and I would have spent the
most on...the DMF....is not even ,from what I see anyway being looked at.....so it seems
were gonna have a completely new Defence apart from Cress/Massa,with Ricey pretty much
guaranteed in that role....have a feeling Oggys in for some bench time as well,seems to
be looking a lot at CDs....so less he plays a 3.....which works for me...
Would go all in for Lascelles 30mill+.......unload Reidy and or Oxford to help fund it maybe..

Certainly need to be getting some players out soon,at least know if we can or going to have
some cash coming in...
1 x

h69

Postby h69 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:46 am

mkhammer wrote:
Whiskyman wrote:

Funny thing.....in all the transfer activity....the role we needed most and I would have spent the
most on...the DMF....is not even ,from what I see anyway being looked at.....so it seems
were gonna have a completely new Defence apart from Cress/Massa,with Ricey pretty much
guaranteed in that role....have a feeling Oggys in for some bench time as well,seems to
be looking a lot at CDs....so less he plays a 3.....which works for me...
Would go all in for Lascelles 30mill+.......unload Reidy and or Oxford to help fund it maybe..

Certainly need to be getting some players out soon,at least know if we can or going to have
some cash coming in...

Rice has apparently been playing in DM in training matches in Switzerland. Holland may well get some game time this season. I've only seen him play once or twice but he looks superquick.
0 x

Return to “Football Talk”