Is it just me?

Chat about anything football related here!
User avatar
mkhammer
Posts: 3322
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 11:12 am
x 18
x 21

Re: Is it just me?

Post by mkhammer » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:34 am

You must always aim for the top...it's all about attitude,go out there to win EVERY game and
what will be will be...
I would tell my players...there's no reason why this team will not get a Euro Quali at the end
that's our target..
If your happy with avoiding relegation,mid table mediocrity ...that's what you'll get...
Eventually dropping when your turn comes round and luck runs out......

Always been our problem...settling for that 11th/12th spot,always lacking that desire for more.
Top 6 is hard, granted...the Euro Footie they play means they get their pick of the best players,
but that doesn't mean to say,that you don't aim for it....

We need a couple of years at least of Euro Footie.....before we can start mixing it with the
top 6.....that's where I thought we would be now,but lack of proper investment,and fake
ambition from owners ,screwed us...

So lets hope we can adopt a more positive attitude now/steer clear of the crucial injuries
that just kill us at times,and have a great Season.....F**k Knows we deserve it....
0 x

User avatar
Mikeveep
Posts: 1474
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 3:00 pm
Location: Trendy Walthamstow
x 2
x 13

Re: Is it just me?

Post by Mikeveep » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:44 am

Got to aim at 7th...

6 Quality teams.. 14 shit teams. Winning the mini shit league should be attainable
0 x

User avatar
only1salty
Posts: 268
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:33 pm
x 6

Re: Is it just me?

Post by only1salty » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:53 am

I am not a player anymore - I am a fan - I am also a realist.

Players should try and win every game and if you win every game you win the league. That's not breaking news.

Expectations cause the issue - not ambition. One is striving for success the other is expecting it and both have different outcomes when that success is not achieved.

Fans expect their team to win every game and when they don't they get on their backs, ask questions of the players and the manager and cause disharmony at the club.

Realistically if someone said to you, for solid progression, would you take a top half finish and a decent cup run next season - would you take it?

I fucking would.

Then I would want us to progress the following season and better the last, season after season progress as opposed to 1 good season - 3 shit.

The premier League is not a level playing field. We have signed a decent player (when/if fit) on a free - City have just signed Mahrez for 60m and he will struggle to make their 1st team.

Realistic expectations make it more enjoyable when you exceed them - just like England - all I am saying
0 x

User avatar
Clayton
Posts: 3105
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:29 pm
x 17
x 31

Re: Is it just me?

Post by Clayton » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:58 am

Yes they have kept stum which is a good thing , and have employed the best manager/coaching team with very decent credentials we have ever had , and now they are putting a bit of effort and cash into the transfer market , getting players I didnt ever think I would see at West Ham until they were in their 30's ie : Jack Wilshere , and now we may well and trully smash the transfer record for Felipe Anderson . Having already brought in 4 new players with the likely hood of another 3 to look forward to . We have never known anything like it , and the thing is they are not just squad players , they are players that are actually improving the 1st team .

Next season I would be happy just to see this squad of players become a team , and show us some entertaining football . As for league positions , I think we can give the team some leeway being as their will be so many new players on the pitch , and more then likely we will have a new captain and leaders on the pitch the way things are going as well . So for me mid table shouldn't be that much of a problem , I would be happy with that . And then to see with more investment over the coming seasons a gradual improvement in our league position .
0 x

User avatar
h69
Posts: 2915
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:51 pm
Location: Ruislip, Middlesex
x 16
x 12

Re: Is it just me?

Post by h69 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:00 pm

Baddowhammer wrote:I reckon someone has kidnapped the Dave's got their card and pin no.and gone on a spending spree,or Pelle misinterpreted Sullivan's £7.5mill net as spend what you want me old mucker. COYI
I think they just would not give the money to Bilic !
0 x

User avatar
h69
Posts: 2915
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:51 pm
Location: Ruislip, Middlesex
x 16
x 12

Re: Is it just me?

Post by h69 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:02 pm

mkhammer wrote:You must always aim for the top...it's all about attitude,go out there to win EVERY game and
what will be will be...
I would tell my players...there's no reason why this team will not get a Euro Quali at the end
that's our target..
If your happy with avoiding relegation,mid table mediocrity ...that's what you'll get...
Eventually dropping when your turn comes round and luck runs out......

Always been our problem...settling for that 11th/12th spot,always lacking that desire for more.
Top 6 is hard, granted...the Euro Footie they play means they get their pick of the best players,
but that doesn't mean to say,that you don't aim for it....

We need a couple of years at least of Euro Footie.....before we can start mixing it with the
top 6.....that's where I thought we would be now,but lack of proper investment,and fake
ambition from owners ,screwed us...

So lets hope we can adopt a more positive attitude now/steer clear of the crucial injuries
that just kill us at times,and have a great Season.....F**k Knows we deserve it....
Thats how the players should feel and I would agree with you when it comes to the actual team

But as fans we should set realistic expectations for the reasons mentioned by others above.
0 x

User avatar
Baddowhammer
Posts: 1369
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:00 pm
x 7

Re: Is it just me?

Post by Baddowhammer » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:33 pm

h69 wrote:
Baddowhammer wrote:I reckon someone has kidnapped the Dave's got their card and pin no.and gone on a spending spree,or Pelle misinterpreted Sullivan's £7.5mill net as spend what you want me old mucker. COYI
I think they just would not give the money to Bilic !
I reckon you're right they were saving it up until they got their man.COYI
0 x

User avatar
Whiskyman
Posts: 5949
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:05 pm
x 13
x 49

Re: Is it just me?

Post by Whiskyman » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:50 pm

Mikeveep wrote:Got to aim at 7th...

6 Quality teams.. 14 shit teams. Winning the mini shit league should be attainable
6 quality teams ? Not sure that can really be said any more tbh. 4 certainly but in all honesty I can see issues on the horizon with a new stricter disciplinarian style coach in at Arsenal and as for Chelsea it appears that Abramovich has been reading the dwarf's manual on how to run a football club. And will Hazard and Courtois still be there when the season starts ?

Maybe Arsenal and Chelsea will come through smelling of roses but I think next season could be interesting to say the least. Top 4 spoken for of course but everything to play for as far as the Europa League places are concerned imo. And in any case I have always despised the acceptance of second best in all aspects of life, not just sport.

Aim low, achieve low, as someone said on here a while back.
0 x
I demand answers. And I demand them now. Why is there only one monopolies commission ?

User avatar
h69
Posts: 2915
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:51 pm
Location: Ruislip, Middlesex
x 16
x 12

Re: Is it just me?

Post by h69 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:02 pm

Whiskyman wrote:
Mikeveep wrote:Got to aim at 7th...

6 Quality teams.. 14 shit teams. Winning the mini shit league should be attainable
6 quality teams ? Not sure that can really be said any more tbh. 4 certainly but in all honesty I can see issues on the horizon with a new stricter disciplinarian style coach in at Arsenal and as for Chelsea it appears that Abramovich has been reading the dwarf's manual on how to run a football club. And will Hazard and Courtois still be there when the season starts ?

Maybe Arsenal and Chelsea will come through smelling of roses but I think next season could be interesting to say the least. Top 4 spoken for of course but everything to play for as far as the Europa League places are concerned imo. And in any case I have always despised the acceptance of second best in all aspects of life, not just sport.

Aim low, achieve low, as someone said on here a while back.
If England win the world cup, I think you may see a watershed at Spurs because they need to start paying big wages or those International players will look at what Walker is earning and what Aldeweireld is likely to earn next season.

As for Chelsea. Everything is done by Granovskaya and it seems they have finally got Serri and are about to sign Jorginho because London is more attractive than Manchester....who knew ?

I am not convinced about Everton now either. They have to sell before they can buy.
0 x

User avatar
Hammershark
Posts: 690
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:44 am
Location: Wooburn Green
x 15
x 5

Re: Is it just me?

Post by Hammershark » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:04 pm

only1salty wrote:I am not a player anymore - I am a fan - I am also a realist.

Players should try and win every game and if you win every game you win the league. That's not breaking news.

Expectations cause the issue - not ambition. One is striving for success the other is expecting it and both have different outcomes when that success is not achieved.

Fans expect their team to win every game and when they don't they get on their backs, ask questions of the players and the manager and cause disharmony at the club.

Realistically if someone said to you, for solid progression, would you take a top half finish and a decent cup run next season - would you take it?

I fucking would.

Then I would want us to progress the following season and better the last, season after season progress as opposed to 1 good season - 3 shit.

The premier League is not a level playing field. We have signed a decent player (when/if fit) on a free - City have just signed Mahrez for 60m and he will struggle to make their 1st team.

Realistic expectations make it more enjoyable when you exceed them - just like England - all I am saying
Bang on Salty,
Next year will be a massive transitional season so nobody should be saying we should be finishing in a certain position.
It’s no good putting more pressure on players that have never played Pelligrinis way before and we have to consider that a lot of our players haven’t even played in the premier league before.
The best thing we can do as supporters this season is just go to the games with a positive attitude and enjoy ourselves watching an attacking brand of football that we are certain to get......and let’s just see what unfolds !
After this season we can evaluate how things are what we need ect and start setting some minimum goals.
Enjoy the ride ......COYI !
0 x

Post Reply