Left Back ?

Chat about anything football related here!
Hammershark

Left Back ?

Postby Hammershark » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:49 pm

What do you think of our left back situation.
I like Massuaku going forward but don’t think he’s good enough defensively in especially in a back four.
Cresswell is better defensively but lacks a bit of pace and hasn’t been as good as he was in his first season or two.
I think it’s a posistion we should be looking to strengthen plus if we sold either of our two we have they would prob get a decent return for the coffers.
What do you guys think ?
0 x

OZHAMMER

Re: Left Back ?

Postby OZHAMMER » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:13 pm

Arthur
0 x

BillyDWhizz

Postby BillyDWhizz » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:54 pm

Hammershark wrote:What do you think of our left back situation.
I like Massuaku going forward but don’t think he’s good enough defensively in especially in a back four.
Cresswell is better defensively but lacks a bit of pace and hasn’t been as good as he was in his first season or two.
I think it’s a posistion we should be looking to strengthen plus if we sold either of our two we have they would prob get a decent return for the coffers.
What do you guys think ?

That's a good point. It'd make sense if we are after another FB, considering Pelle's preference for the speedy, bomb forwards type and with the best will in the world - that's not Cresswell. I'd not be surprised if at some point during the window we sign another LB. We were apparently sort of interested in Jordan Lukaku for a while so you gotta suspect it's a position Pelle has his eye on.
0 x
I hate it when people don't know the difference between "your" and "you're". There so stupid.

Whiskyman

Postby Whiskyman » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:24 am

What do you guys think ?

Play with a back 3 and it's much less of a problem. Both are decent going forward, imo Masuaku is better, particularly in posession, but both are lacking when it comes to defence. If we set up with a back 3 with a decent midfield shield, my choice would be Rice & Obiang I'd be reasonably happy with either Cresswell or Masuaku as LWB.
0 x
If it looks like a cunt, walks like a cunt, and talks like a cunt it's either Boris Johnson or Jeremy Corbyn.

h69

Postby h69 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:26 am

What do you guys think ?

I think there are bigger fish to fry and you cant solve all problems with one window so we should keep both and it will depend what the manager sees in training and what formation he plays.

Persoanlly I prefer to start Masuaku. I think he and Cress are similar defensively but Masuaku is a little bit stronger but as a pair they will be fine for me for now
0 x

BillyDWhizz

Postby BillyDWhizz » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:59 pm

Whiskyman wrote:
What do you guys think ?

Play with a back 3 and it's much less of a problem. Both are decent going forward, imo Masuaku is better, particularly in posession, but both are lacking when it comes to defence. If we set up with a back 3 with a decent midfield shield, my choice would be Rice & Obiang I'd be reasonably happy with either Cresswell or Masuaku as LWB.

Found this YouTube video of Pellegrini, explaining his tactics and philosophies. Quite interesting and gives a bit of an insight as to what to expect from him this season. I wouldn't be holding my breath for a back 3 anytime soon though!

0 x
I hate it when people don't know the difference between "your" and "you're". There so stupid.

Neville Bartos

Postby Neville Bartos » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:18 pm

Philipp Max is still at Augsburg. He might be just about the best attacking fullback in Europe.
Pretty sure I read this is the last year of his current contract too.
I'd take him in a flash and flog either Mas or Cress to finance it.
0 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

Taansend

Postby Taansend » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:31 pm

BillyDWhizz wrote:
Whiskyman wrote:

Found this YouTube video of Pellegrini, explaining his tactics and philosophies. Quite interesting and gives a bit of an insight as to what to expect from him this season. I wouldn't be holding my breath for a back 3 anytime soon though!

Allardyce's video was 8 seconds long.

"Hoof Header Clatter"
2 x

deanox

Postby deanox » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:35 pm

They are both dodgy defensively, I’d go with Arthur because of his attacking ability, Cresswell is a decent back up.
0 x
"If my auntie had bollox she'd be my uncle"

deanox

Postby deanox » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:42 pm

BillyDWhizz wrote:
Whiskyman wrote:

Ok now I’m getting a bit excited, love that explanation of no system and not changing formations due to your opponent. Also Flat back 4 it is
0 x
"If my auntie had bollox she'd be my uncle"

Return to “Football Talk”