England v Croatia

Chat about anything football related here!
User avatar
mkhammer
Posts: 3231
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 11:12 am

Re: England v Croatia

Postby mkhammer » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:39 am

English Players don't seem to have the ability to read and adapt during a game,
whether on their own initiative or the Managers....to rigid..
We had Croatia under the cosh most of 1st half,changed their style,played further up the pitch
and took control with Modric..

Second half Lingard or Alli......(like someone mentioned 2 Similar players),one of those had to
get all over Modric,give up your own game to help the team.....we set up a bit to attack minded
for me.....you can set up that way if you have players who like I say can adapt...
Pogba was a great example of this against Belgium.......they have a great attack,that the French
can maybe take care of, but they have the threat of Fellani in the air as well,so Pogba made sure
he was never to far from him,holding back on his natural game,for the team.
But it's not in these 2s game to do that.
Watch him in the Final will play a different game...

French play with more freedom,the players know their roles,but are allowed to be more
expansive....they're not limited.....Kante DMF....but you often see him link up with attack..
Pogba goes where he wants,completely free role.....even Mbappe was dropping back to help out.
Due to Deschamps who was a brilliant footballer....great vision and movement..

Think Southgate done OK tho....Defence played great.......just don't have good enough players..
And the FAs Spuds obsession doesn't help any either..... :lol:
0 x

User avatar
Romford
Posts: 438
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:24 am

Re: England v Croatia

Postby Romford » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:47 am

Great post above MK

The bottom line is if you play the way England have been....you need to score a few in the first hour because it catches up on you over the 90/150 and the gaps appear. Croatia had the players to take advantage of that.

I always look at close games and think the team that worked the oppos keeper more deserve the win...so can't moan about last night.
0 x

User avatar
Whiskyman
Posts: 5804
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:05 pm

Re: England v Croatia

Postby Whiskyman » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:54 am

ToneLoc wrote:Bollocks to any tactical analysis.
Southgate got everything spot on.
We were gripped by old fashioned "England fear" last night and let a very ordinary Croatia team bully us from the second half onwards.

We just stopped playing. Simple.
It's happened to us at every major tournament I've been alive to remember.
This time around, Southgate and the players managed to manage it until a much later stage.
Fair play to them.


I disagree that Croatia are only ordinary. They have arguably the best midfield in the entire competition and imo it is midfield where competitions are usually won. They have both creativity and that little bit of streetwise nastiness that all successful sides have. And as well as their midfield they have some pretty damn good players knocking around who would be candidates for the usual pundits "team of the competition".

Watching England matches in this tournament wasn't a chore, as it has been for the last christ knows how many years. OK the media as always went over the top with superlatives. Good saves became world class ones, routine passes became defence splitting and so on, but Southgate and his team can't be blamed for that. And of course now all the hype has died down the phone ins are going mad with people demanding that this and that player should be dropped and playing the usual blame games.

And now of course the press will jack up the hype leading up to Euro 2020, England will go from being no hopers, as they were perceived to be by many, myself included, before this tournament, to tournament favourites. Expectations will escalate to an extent that anything, bar winning the bloody thing, that happens in 2 years will signal the end of English football as we know it.

We really are a funny old race of people. It's probably the mongrel in us all. ;)
2 x
If it looks like a cunt, walks like a cunt, and talks like a cunt it's either Boris Johnson or Jeremy Corbyn.

User avatar
h69
Posts: 2864
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:51 pm
Location: Ruislip, Middlesex

Re: England v Croatia

Postby h69 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:59 am

Romford wrote:Great post above MK

The bottom line is if you play the way England have been....you need to score a few in the first hour because it catches up on you over the 90/150 and the gaps appear. Croatia had the players to take advantage of that.

I always look at close games and think the team that worked the oppos keeper more deserve the win...so can't moan about last night.


Yes. I have no complaints either. Modric, Brozovic, Perisic and Rakitic dont play for Real Madrid, Barcelona and Inter for nothing. They showed their class last night.

That said, our team should be stronger for playing this game as none of them will have ever experienced this kind of pressure before and it is always easier the second time around.

We have a good manager and a decent side with some more quality players coming through. The biggest hurdle we have to face is whether those kids will get games at their clubs after winning the u17 WC
0 x

User avatar
LondonWelsh
Posts: 765
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:20 pm

Re: England v Croatia

Postby LondonWelsh » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:03 am

I really wanted England to go through and win the World Cup despite being a Wales fan but the England lads haven't played anyway near to their best ability. Croatia were there for the taking and they couldn't hit a barn door for 60 mInutes. I can't help feel it was a massive opportunity squandered.
0 x

User avatar
Whiskyman
Posts: 5804
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:05 pm

Re: England v Croatia

Postby Whiskyman » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:04 am

h69 wrote:
Romford wrote:Great post above MK

The bottom line is if you play the way England have been....you need to score a few in the first hour because it catches up on you over the 90/150 and the gaps appear. Croatia had the players to take advantage of that.

I always look at close games and think the team that worked the oppos keeper more deserve the win...so can't moan about last night.


Yes. I have no complaints either. Modric, Brozovic, Perisic and Rakitic dont play for Real Madrid, Barcelona and Inter for nothing. They showed their class last night.

That said, our team should be stronger for playing this game as none of them will have ever experienced this kind of pressure before and it is always easier the second time around.

We have a good manager and a decent side with some more quality players coming through. The biggest hurdle we have to face is whether those kids will get games at their clubs after winning the u17 WC


If they're good enough they will. If not they can always take the route of kids like Jayden Sancho who has gone to Borussia Dortmund for first team action. He'll benefit far more in that league than thrashing around with some mid table championship scufflers.
0 x
If it looks like a cunt, walks like a cunt, and talks like a cunt it's either Boris Johnson or Jeremy Corbyn.

User avatar
punkrockhammer
Posts: 1625
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:49 am

Re: England v Croatia

Postby punkrockhammer » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:22 am

BillyDWhizz wrote:Perhaps now the fucking media will finally shut the fuck up with all this coming home bollocks. Never been likely, we just had an easy route to the SFs. Soon as we come up against a team above us in the rankings we get beat...twice.



Croatia are below us in the rankings, but I take your point

Rakitic and Modric or Dier and Henderson?
0 x

User avatar
Ron Manager
Posts: 211
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:46 pm
Location: East Grinstead

Re: England v Croatia

Postby Ron Manager » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:26 am

We need that creative midfielder. If it's not going to be Wilshere then i have high hopes for Phil Foden.
2 x

User avatar
ToneLoc
Posts: 6683
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:21 pm

Re: England v Croatia

Postby ToneLoc » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:37 am

Neville Bartos wrote:
ToneLoc wrote:Uruguay won it when we were still throwing rocks at the moon.
Not a great deal of relevance to judging success of modern day football.
Neither is 1966.


The 'old sport was cobblers' argument is a myth. You try punting a soaking wet medicine ball about a ploughed field for 90 minutes, all whilst being hacked to death.
Ronaldo wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes in 1950, let alone 1934.

Spirit and endeavour are different from fitness and preparation.
If you'd have dropped Sir Bobby into last night's game he'd have been fucked after 30 minutes.
If Sir Bob had been born in 1990?
He'd have ran the show last night.
0 x
"Gentlemen you can't fight in here this is the war room"

User avatar
h69
Posts: 2864
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:51 pm
Location: Ruislip, Middlesex

Re: England v Croatia

Postby h69 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:39 am

Ron Manager wrote:We need that creative midfielder. If it's not going to be Wilshere then i have high hopes for Phil Foden.


That is who I am thinking about when talking about getting games for your club. He needs more than a handful like last season
0 x


Return to “Football Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 27 guests