England v Croatia

Chat about anything football related here!
Shortshanks

Re: England v Croatia

Postby Shortshanks » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:51 pm

I don't think the world cup has ever been won by a country with a population less than 40 million. Croatia's is just over 4 million !! Just a bit of maybe useless information.
0 x

Neville Bartos

Postby Neville Bartos » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:59 pm

Shortshanks wrote:I don't think the world cup has ever been won by a country with a population less than 40 million. Croatia's is just over 4 million !! Just a bit of maybe useless information.

Uruguay.

And the Czechs would have won in 1934 if Mussolini hadn't bought the referee.
0 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

Whiskyman

Postby Whiskyman » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:02 pm

terrya1965 wrote:Should have been 3 up at HT..After that Croatia were the better team.

I enjoyed it and we done better than we thought.

Totally agree with that Terry. In most tournaments tbh I've been glad to see the back of England teams because they've usually stunk the place out with prehistoric, knuckle dragging hoofball. At least Southgate is encouraging a pass and move style which is better to watch and, if we unearth a couple of midfielders with a bit of vision, might actually develop the nucleus of this squad into a very good side indeed, and make them less reliant on scoring from set pieces.

And nice to see players picked to fit into a system, rather than picking the same old, same old, and then finding a system to try and firt them all into. Problem now of course is that in the Euros in 2020 expectation levels will once again go through the roof.

And for Shortshanks. Uruguay have won the world cup and their population is even less than Croatia's. And if that wins you anything at a pub quiz mine's a San Miguel. ;)
2 x
People who claim to be modest usually have a lot to be modest about.

Shortshanks

Postby Shortshanks » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:08 pm

Neville Bartos wrote:
Shortshanks wrote:I don't think the world cup has ever been won by a country with a population less than 40 million. Croatia's is just over 4 million !! Just a bit of maybe useless information.

Uruguay.

And the Czechs would have won in 1934 if Mussolini hadn't bought the referee.

Yes you're correct, was sure I read it last week and didn't bother to check but there's is even less.
0 x

Baddowhammer

Postby Baddowhammer » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:10 pm

With no expectations prior to the tournament,I think this is about their level at the moment,I feel for them but they've put pride back into the the national side.COYI
2 x

Shortshanks

Postby Shortshanks » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:10 pm

Mind I did say it was maybe a bit of useless information :roll:
0 x

Dolfo

Postby Dolfo » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:22 pm

Tottenham cunts.

That is all. whufc_crest
1 x

BCHammer

Postby BCHammer » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:06 am

Spuds mentality, finish 3rd or 4th and think its a trophy. At least we are used to be being shit and not expecting any accolades.

Kane has to be carrying a knock or something, he just was not himself. Im not even joking, I honestly think our Andy would have put away his two chances.

Lingard & Alli far too lightweight, Jesse was physically pushed and bullied by Lovren and all he could do was yap at him like a chihuahua.

And to win you need a Bobby Moore back there. John Stones sure aint that, lost his man for the goal.

Hate to say it, but Trippier is class, the boys delivery is near perfect from any scenario and a great FK. Macquire is a great lad, Pickford has proved Gareth right IMO, hes only 24 and could be our #1 for 10 years.

Otherwise, we need to learn to score from open play.

Still, its a great achievement to get to ET of the semis and its been a great WC. They are young and inexperienced and the only way to change that is to play. Theres no shame in losing to Croatia, quite a few of their squad play in Champs League finals every year and that experience showed today. They stepped up through the gears towards the end and turned the screw like the best can. We are not quite there yet. But the future is bright with our youth success.
3 x

downunda

Postby downunda » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:41 am

Not happy with the result but happy and proud of the team and management.
Can now get back to supporting West Ham instead of the spuds. :oops:
3 x

Brookbonds73

Postby Brookbonds73 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:27 am

I just hope that there's some changes within our coaching system now, whereby a talented kid hasn't had the talent stifled out of him by the time he's 16 by some cunt walking around with a pocket full of badges and a clip board.
We haven't had a player like gascoigne for over twenty years now, it's a fucking disgrace.
All Southgate has done is gelled the team together, which in itself is commendable, as they actually seem more human and approachable, but the real work has to start from a very young age by a proper coaching system, where talent is allowed to breath.
Modric ran the show tonight and is a lot older than the likes of alli, sterling, lingard, but you wouldn't have thought it and he's played a lot more minutes than them.
It can be done. The Germans had a nightmare but you can bet money on them going away, learning from this and probably go and win it in four years time, the same can be said for Argentina, Brazil and even those that weren't even there, like the Italians and the Dutch.
Yes we've restored some pride and we did give it a go and for a brief few weeks kept the dream alive, but when all is said and done, we didn't play anyone of any note, and when we did, we lost.
Well done to Croatia, they deserved the win, but personally I think they'll get Tore a new arse on Sunday.
I just hope in four years time we've learnt something from this, mainly, you can't win a game without a ball player, you can try, but invariably you'll get beat.
4 x
Love a cup of Rosey I do.

Return to “Football Talk”