What’s financing this new found spending power

Chat about anything football related here!
mkhammer

Re: What’s financing this new found spending power

Postby mkhammer » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:09 am

Think we had something in the region of 50 mill we could have spent if needed....plus
this years dosh....puts us up near 70 mill easily......prob unload some players 25mill at least
hopefully,prob more....100 mill spend not a problem...(Ball park figures,not sure)

Got a decent Squad now with some resale value,plus a Euro Quali,would push our valuation
right up.........

Our owners might have got the Idea of Investment at last....instead of profit making from us lot...

Agree tho Debts not a bad thing...........people make a lot of money from it..
Don't they Mr Sullivan...
1 x

Whiskyman

Postby Whiskyman » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:18 am

Alfiehammer wrote:Probably alone in thinking this, but exactly where is all this money coming from? It’s known and proved the move to the OS only generates an extra 10-11 million PA.

I do hope we aren’t getting saddled with huge debts just to shut some idiots up. Or it’s not some evil fuck you from sully either

Don't know what our revenue from shirt sales is but I read somewhere that when PSG signed Neymar for his world record fee they recouped almost HALF their initial outlay on merchandise sales within the first 2 weeks following his signing.

Obviously our revenues are corner shop by comparison but the same principle applies. Greater interest = greater income, and not just through gate receipts. I bet the signings of Wilshere and Yarmolenko, for example have resulted in a sizeable boost to merchandising sales this past week.

Football is no different to any other business in that to succeed you have to be prepared to take risks. Both on and off the field. People become obsessed with debt but debt only becomes a problem if you are unable to service the debt. In any case football inflation probably means if you borrow 50 million to buy 2 players, those players have quite possibly doubled in value by the end of the season. So really you've made money on the debt, if you get my drift.

Don't believe me? What did we pay for Arnautovic ? And what fee would he command if we sold him tomorrow ? Sure it can work the other way if you buy a dud like Carroll but that's the job of the D of F.
1 x
People who claim to be modest usually have a lot to be modest about.

h69

Postby h69 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:21 am

Alfiehammer wrote:Probably alone in thinking this, but exactly where is all this money coming from? It’s known and proved the move to the OS only generates an extra 10-11 million PA.

I do hope we aren’t getting saddled with huge debts just to shut some idiots up. Or it’s not some evil fuck you from sully either

Having read that article about Payet and Bilic and seen the players that Bilic was buying, I would think that they just didn't want to give him that kind of money to spend. I also think that was why Sullivan always tried to intervene though he was not much better at it.

As for Moyes, they would never have given him money as the Jan Window is inflated and I dont think Sullivan ever intended to keep him.

Having a manager that can attract players and a DoF that knows how to get deals done has meant that they have given him the money they should have incrementally spent over the last 2 years plus the club have had a good year as their commercial sales are up significantly.
1 x

OZHAMMER

Postby OZHAMMER » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:35 pm

only1salty wrote:Perhaps the protests actually worked?

It really could be that simple.

He may have woken up one morning and realised that he is a billionaire with no friends. A true example being rich and having no wealth.
0 x

Postby 3232 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:38 pm

h69 wrote:

Having read that article about Payet and Bilic and seen the players that Bilic was buying, I would think that they just didn't want to give him that kind of money to spend. I also think that was why Sullivan always tried to intervene though he was not much better at it.

As for Moyes, they would never have given him money as the Jan Window is inflated and I dont think Sullivan ever intended to keep him.

Having a manager that can attract players and a DoF that knows how to get deals done has meant that they have given him the money they should have incrementally spent over the last 2 years plus the club have had a good year as their commercial sales are up significantly.

Come on, chemical 69.
Even you cannot believe that the reason these tight wads don't spend is because they don't trust the manager (who they employed!!)

Sullivan only signed players because he didn't trust manager. Come on.
0 x

h69

Postby h69 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:42 pm

3232 wrote:
h69 wrote:

Come on, chemical 69.
Even you cannot believe that the reason these tight wads don't spend is because they don't trust the manager (who they employed!!)

Sullivan only signed players because he didn't trust manager. Come on.

I just said that I believe they did not trust Bilic with any money after his last transfer window and I dont think Moyes was ever going to get any as he was always short term
0 x

bigfacemike

Postby bigfacemike » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:53 pm

Neville Bartos wrote:I think it's called being tight fisted for the last two seasons.
Imagine if you will an average PL team spending about £40m a season (net) on transfers.

Now if you spend less than half of that for two seasons, add in a player sale or two that wasn't reinvested, and add on £40m for the current season... dah dahhhh, a £90m transfer kitty.

I think this is a the heart of the answer, but it's also a combination of all of the ideas so far.
We have woefully under spent over the last two seasons, largely down to incompetence and knowing that Moyes was never going to stay.
The demonstration at the Burnley game also woke Sullivan up to just how pissed off we were. Maybe he finally realised that he was not as good as he thought he was at this buying players malarkey.
Also, if you are paying that kind of money to the manager, you have to back him in the market, otherwise it makes no sense bringing him in. It's about time, but it's good to see. I don't think it's debt though, we do have the dough.
1 x

Alfiehammer

Postby Alfiehammer » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:29 pm

The sully don't trust his manager theory only really holds water if you believe the managers made all the purchases. As it is, it's always been much debated who signed who. Why would sully not trust billic if billic had signed payet, lanzini, Antonio and lanzini. 4 big successes who all would have/ did made/ make a decent profit. After the 15/16 season I feel you would have had faith with billic to spend whatever, his stock was quite high then. Higher then a calleri.

Who actually signed hugill??? And for what nefarious proposes.

From memory, when going all through the released accounts (I don't pretend to really understand them) the change in club shop made us either 50 or 500k more. It really was quite a small inscrease

And I'm next to certain sully and or Brady admitted the stadium move from the BG or the LS was worth An extra £11 million. We never spent that much at the BG so I'm not convinced it's the saved up over a few seasons theory. I think it's at least partial debt. Driven by protest fears.

Us not being as sellable with debt makes sense, but I can also imagine an unhappy fan base and the accompanying negative publicity wouldn't make us an attractive buying proposition either.
0 x

andyginbrasil

Postby andyginbrasil » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:15 pm

I stick by my theory, that I have posted before.
Sullivan is going to sell.
Everyone knows that there are clauses in the LS contract, that Sullivan will have to pay back x amount to the government if he sells the club above a certain amount. This amount is the value of the club set at £125m for ten years, plus debt and loans. The debt at the end of this financial year was £95m, mainly due to the owners, interest can be added to the debt. Sullivan is now surprisingly investing heavily in players, this will increase the debt of the club and the amount he has to pay back to the Government. He would now be able to sell the club for £400m without having to pay much in penalties. If and when a new owner comes in, they would need to invest in players, it is being done now under the watchful eye of boardmember Mr Tripp Smith, who will head the new takeover. Does anyone really think that Sullivan wanted to spend £10m a year on a manager, when he could of stayed with Moyes and pay peanuts compared to Mr P. Again this was an outside influence, bringing in a top manager ready for the takeover. Now that is my theory, if I am wrong I have totally misjudged Sullivan, and apologize.
1 x

ToneLoc

Postby ToneLoc » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:36 pm

Sullivan has just remembered his safe code.
0 x
"Gentlemen you can't fight in here this is the war room"

Return to “Football Talk”