Great season ahead

Chat about anything football related here!
User avatar
Hammershark
Posts: 581
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:44 am
Location: Wooburn Green

Re: Great season ahead

Postby Hammershark » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:59 am

Romford wrote:I really don't get all the rumour mill hard-ons....and the malarkey that goes on with social media

Ive been watching our sides for over 40 years now and ive seen absolutely cack players look like world beaters when they have clicked, I've also seen world class players look like donkeys. Anyone who saw the French team in the first few games of the world cup will know what i mean.

Anybody who was about in the season we came third will know exactly what i mean...we started off cack at Brum.

All you can do is trust in your manager and hope for the best.

As long as we go for it from the first whistle on Sunday ..i will give them my full backing.

Would love to have another year like 86, those run in games at the Boleyn, packed in the North Bank were so intense and I’ll never forget us singing “your never gonna believe it......we’re gonna win the league “
That was the only year it was possible to sing that....didn’t quite make it but what a ride.
Let’s hope one day we will hear that song again.
0 x

User avatar
palerider
Posts: 5849
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:35 am
Location: Somerset

Re: Great season ahead

Postby palerider » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:41 am

The deadline day coverage was on all day at Pale Towers with the cricket rained off. Boring for the most part although it got frantic in the last hour and beyond, with deals registered before 5. Fulham have done well as have Everton.

But true to form for Sky it was mostly about how Spurs and United didn't spend a penny on the day. As if willing them to ignite that huge story that they love and fuel their obscene passion for spending even more.

As if Spurs and United are going to be fighting relegation without it.

But every now and then an 'expert' or two would give their opinion on West Ham's chances for the season and all bar none, even that odious little prick Dennis Wise conceded that Statler and Waldorf had done well. And of course Shrek was there. His take on it was that they had indeed spent what was needed while lamenting that they should have done it while he was in charge. I spilt my coffee over that one.

It's tempting fate to say we're going to be fighting our cause in the top, not the bottom eight. Too much money has been thrown around by mid level teams to pick obvious strugglers, although you'd have to say at this stage that David Wagner and Colin will perform miracles to avoid the drop. The trick will be to integrate new players and getting them to gel into a side worth it's component parts.

And it was Sue Smith, the ex-captain of the England bint team that made the best comment for me by saying that our best signing was this charming man. To which ex-Gooner Alan Smith agreed in saying that he's been down that road before.

So yes, it's with some trepidation that after Sunday's match, the 90 minutes of which I'll be driving up to Yorkshire ready to turn over to the test match, I'm expecting a different season to the ones I'm used to.

I don't expect top 6. But I do think that come March I won't be looking at the clubs' below us remaining fixtures and predicting how many more points they'll get than we will.

I was at the Burnley game on March 10th. As soon as the second went in I left in order to get an earlier train back to God's own county. So I missed the aggro. I didn't see the dwarf felled by a 5p piece with blood spurting from him like the black knight in Monty Python, I didn't see Noble in sumo wrestling mode and I didn't see the corner flag planted in the centre-circle.

I was resigned to losing Arnie yesterday. For all the dwarf's benevolence I was convinced it had come at a price. But I was wrong. And I hold my hands up.

Much has been said about the stumpy-one's change of tack. One theory is that he was always waiting for the right manager to put his hands in his pocket. But I don't buy that one. I think the Burnley match was an epiphany for him.

There's a famous photo of American soldiers planting the stars and stripes on Iwo Jima after a bloody battle in 1945. It's churlish in the extreme to compare that dark period of history to football. And those GI's were heroes.

But if the actions of that bloke, now banned I believe, planting another flag in an act of defiance got the dwarf realising at long last that he was a figure of hate and he needed to do something about it, then he's a hero in my book.

I still don't get to agitated about football. Money has ruined it. But at least I can now look forward to watching MOTD a bit more.
6 x
It's not the principle. It's the money.

User avatar
Romford
Posts: 362
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:24 am

Re: Great season ahead

Postby Romford » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:44 am

Hammershark wrote:
Romford wrote:I really don't get all the rumour mill hard-ons....and the malarkey that goes on with social media

Ive been watching our sides for over 40 years now and ive seen absolutely cack players look like world beaters when they have clicked, I've also seen world class players look like donkeys. Anyone who saw the French team in the first few games of the world cup will know what i mean.

Anybody who was about in the season we came third will know exactly what i mean...we started off cack at Brum.

All you can do is trust in your manager and hope for the best.

As long as we go for it from the first whistle on Sunday ..i will give them my full backing.

Would love to have another year like 86, those run in games at the Boleyn, packed in the North Bank were so intense and I’ll never forget us singing “your never gonna believe it......we’re gonna win the league “
That was the only year it was possible to sing that....didn’t quite make it but what a ride.
Let’s hope one day we will hear that song again.


I wont hold my breath mate....football has changed hugely sadly
0 x

User avatar
Romford
Posts: 362
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:24 am

Re: Great season ahead

Postby Romford » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:47 am

Whiskyman wrote:
Romford wrote:I really don't get all the rumour mill hard-ons....and the malarkey that goes on with social media

Ive been watching our sides for over 40 years now and ive seen absolutely cack players look like world beaters when they have clicked, I've also seen world class players look like donkeys. Anyone who saw the French team in the first few games of the world cup will know what i mean.

Anybody who was about in the season we came third will know exactly what i mean...we started off cack at Brum.

All you can do is trust in your manager and hope for the best.

As long as we go for it from the first whistle on Sunday ..i will give them my full backing.


I was around back then and if I remember right we were at, or very near the bottom, at the end of August.


I think we won one of our first half a dozen games....and people forget our average attendence was under 22k i think
0 x

User avatar
Romford
Posts: 362
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:24 am

Re: Great season ahead

Postby Romford » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:49 am

mkhammer wrote:Always look forward to the season ..whatever the situation,and gotta admit was even really up
for our first season in the Iconic (gotta find a name for it...that's ours..sometime)
Our chance for a crack at the big time and all that... :lol:

But Def feel some Pressure on top of the excitement this time,never really had that before.
Best looking Squad of players we ever had,we've had great looking teams now and again, but never
a Squad of depth to cover the injuries,which always screw us up.
So expectations are a bit higher this year.

But in saying that so are a lot of other sides,most sides spending,and have ambitions,
Everton def have CL ambitions,Fulham,Wolves also brought well..

Top 6 gonna find it a lot harder this year...... Well Manc clubs and red Scouse will be away,but
London Clubs gonna have a bigger fight this year,can see someone breaking in,we've as
good a chance as any,would love us to split em.

A lot of stuff,well a bit of stuff going round praising our Owners....don't really agree with that..
They're just Spending Their Businesses/OUR Clubs money...it's not their personal money,
it's all come from Tkt sales/TV companies...Commercial side of things etc....
Their still doing very nicely out of us.

Wanna have a few weeks in top 6..even if we don't finish there,def want that Euro spot,
but if we give it a good go and just lose out to say, Everton by 3/4 points,I'll be pissed
off but Happy.....if that makes sense... :lol:


Its an odd one isn't it....at the end of every season i am totally fed up with football. By July i'm chomping at the bit.

West Ham eh...its a way of life :D
2 x

User avatar
Whiskyman
Posts: 5151
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:05 pm

Re: Great season ahead

Postby Whiskyman » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:06 am

mkhammer wrote:A lot of stuff,well a bit of stuff going round praising our Owners....don't really agree with that..
They're just Spending Their Businesses/OUR Clubs money...it's not their personal money,
it's all come from Tkt sales/TV companies...Commercial side of things etc....
Their still doing very nicely out of us.



I've criticised the owners as much as anyone but credit where it's due. They have appointed, imo, a proven manager who has won the PL title and also taken two relatively small clubs, Villarreal and malaga to the semi finals and quarter finals respectively of the CL. They have allowed the appointment of a D of F which can only be positive.

Of course there are still a shedload of things that need addressing with regard to the overall running of the club and the ongoing issues of the stadium itself so I'm a long way from saying they are even half decent owners. The fact it isn't their money is neither here nor there. It is a business FFS and they own the bloody thing, which they have paid for with their own money. I would be very happy if they took even more out of the club because it would mean the policy of speculating to accumulate is proving succesful.

Let's be brutally frank only a complete fucking idiot would spend 40 million of their own money on a Brazilian international, no matter how good he is. And I wouldn't want my club run by a complete fucking idiot. The dwarf may be many things but an idiot he is not.
0 x
People who claim to be modest usually have a lot to be modest about.

User avatar
mkhammer
Posts: 2862
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 11:12 am

Re: Great season ahead

Postby mkhammer » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:42 am

Whiskyman wrote:
mkhammer wrote:A lot of stuff,well a bit of stuff going round praising our Owners....don't really agree with that..
They're just Spending Their Businesses/OUR Clubs money...it's not their personal money,
it's all come from Tkt sales/TV companies...Commercial side of things etc....
Their still doing very nicely out of us.



I've criticised the owners as much as anyone but credit where it's due. They have appointed, imo, a proven manager who has won the PL title and also taken two relatively small clubs, Villarreal and malaga to the semi finals and quarter finals respectively of the CL. They have allowed the appointment of a D of F which can only be positive.

Of course there are still a shedload of things that need addressing with regard to the overall running of the club and the ongoing issues of the stadium itself so I'm a long way from saying they are even half decent owners. The fact it isn't their money is neither here nor there. It is a business FFS and they own the bloody thing, which they have paid for with their own money. I would be very happy if they took even more out of the club because it would mean the policy of speculating to accumulate is proving succesful.

Let's be brutally frank only a complete fucking idiot would spend 40 million of their own money on a Brazilian international, no matter how good he is. And I wouldn't want my club run by a complete fucking idiot. The dwarf may be many things but an idiot he is not.



Thing is whiskey if....I know if..if it hadn't been for a "perfect storm" of events at the Burnley
game.....and a couple of refereeing decisions,and a bad decision by Micky,we would have finished
an easy 9th.....very fine lines forced them to do what they should have done been doing in
the first place.....
They Put Themselves first and foremost...fair enough in your personal life/the business world.
But taking over a football club is more than that...especially us,your custodians as opposed
to outright Owners IMO,and are answerable.
They've had their time in the Business world...They've made their Bucks, we all thought it was
Semi retirement for these guys,a time to sit back and enjoy your money,happy days win/win.
But no, their priority was to make some more money, with us second...will never forgive that,
If they Weren't "West Ham" could have shrugged it off...oh well that's life..but the pretence
of "We see it very much as a break even project" and "doing it as fans"
Makes it tough for me personally to give any praise at all.

If they got us where I want us to be.....Take a Mill a month out guys,good luck to them
I'd even by em a pint.

Agree totally....you don't come into the football ownership as a business venture, be
the last thing you'd choose,only the Spuds out of all teams have made a success of that.

Money in footie F**cks me off....in fact it it wasn't for my love of us,I could easily not
bother with the PL,and go and support MK.....
2 x

User avatar
Whiskyman
Posts: 5151
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:05 pm

Re: Great season ahead

Postby Whiskyman » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:57 am

mkhammer wrote:
Whiskyman wrote:
I've criticised the owners as much as anyone but credit where it's due. They have appointed, imo, a proven manager who has won the PL title and also taken two relatively small clubs, Villarreal and malaga to the semi finals and quarter finals respectively of the CL. They have allowed the appointment of a D of F which can only be positive.

Of course there are still a shedload of things that need addressing with regard to the overall running of the club and the ongoing issues of the stadium itself so I'm a long way from saying they are even half decent owners. The fact it isn't their money is neither here nor there. It is a business FFS and they own the bloody thing, which they have paid for with their own money. I would be very happy if they took even more out of the club because it would mean the policy of speculating to accumulate is proving succesful.

Let's be brutally frank only a complete fucking idiot would spend 40 million of their own money on a Brazilian international, no matter how good he is. And I wouldn't want my club run by a complete fucking idiot. The dwarf may be many things but an idiot he is not.



Thing is whiskey if....I know if..if it hadn't been for a "perfect storm" of events at the Burnley
game.....and a couple of refereeing decisions,and a bad decision by Micky,we would have finished
an easy 9th.....very fine lines forced them to do what they should have done been doing in
the first place.....
They Put Themselves first and foremost...fair enough in your personal life/the business world.
But taking over a football club is more than that...especially us,your custodians as opposed
to outright Owners IMO,and are answerable.
They've had their time in the Business world...They've made their Bucks, we all thought it was
Semi retirement for these guys,a time to sit back and enjoy your money,happy days win/win.
But no, their priority was to make some more money, with us second...will never forgive that,
If they Weren't "West Ham" could have shrugged it off...oh well that's life..but the pretence
of "We see it very much as a break even project" and "doing it as fans"
Makes it tough for me personally to give any praise at all.

If they got us where I want us to be.....Take a Mill a month out guys,good luck to them
I'd even by em a pint.

Agree totally....you don't come into the football ownership as a business venture, be
the last thing you'd choose,only the Spuds out of all teams have made a success of that.

Money in footie F**cks me off....in fact it it wasn't for my love of us,I could easily not
bother with the PL,and go and support MK.....


Agree the money sloshing around now is verging on the obscene. Being paid the equivalent of an emerging nation's GDP every year for simply being able to play football at a decent standard doesn't make any sense in the overall scheme of things. But while the punters, that's you and me, continue to pay their Sky TV subs, buy season tickets and grossly over priced tack from club shops it will carry on.

And using a bit of economic logic if players, agents, t v pundits, performance statisticians and all the other ancilliary bods are making shedloads of money out of the game it's not unreasonable to expect owners to want their share of the action. But I do agree with you about the money. I don't have a problem with the real top players making the top dollars. But the likes of Snodgrass, Drinkwater and other assorted bang average players------. Fair enough paying 250 quid to watch a Muse concert, but I'll be fucked if I'd pay 100 quid to watch Bald Bob do his karaoke at the local on a Saturday nught.
0 x
People who claim to be modest usually have a lot to be modest about.

User avatar
terrya1965
Posts: 2819
Joined: Sun May 29, 2016 8:48 pm

Re: Great season ahead

Postby terrya1965 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:59 pm

mkhammer wrote:
Whiskyman wrote:
I've criticised the owners as much as anyone but credit where it's due. They have appointed, imo, a proven manager who has won the PL title and also taken two relatively small clubs, Villarreal and malaga to the semi finals and quarter finals respectively of the CL. They have allowed the appointment of a D of F which can only be positive.

Of course there are still a shedload of things that need addressing with regard to the overall running of the club and the ongoing issues of the stadium itself so I'm a long way from saying they are even half decent owners. The fact it isn't their money is neither here nor there. It is a business FFS and they own the bloody thing, which they have paid for with their own money. I would be very happy if they took even more out of the club because it would mean the policy of speculating to accumulate is proving succesful.

Let's be brutally frank only a complete fucking idiot would spend 40 million of their own money on a Brazilian international, no matter how good he is. And I wouldn't want my club run by a complete fucking idiot. The dwarf may be many things but an idiot he is not.



Thing is whiskey if....I know if..if it hadn't been for a "perfect storm" of events at the Burnley
game.....and a couple of refereeing decisions,and a bad decision by Micky,we would have finished
an easy 9th.....very fine lines forced them to do what they should have done been doing in
the first place.....
They Put Themselves first and foremost...fair enough in your personal life/the business world.
But taking over a football club is more than that...especially us,your custodians as opposed
to outright Owners IMO,and are answerable.
They've had their time in the Business world...They've made their Bucks, we all thought it was
Semi retirement for these guys,a time to sit back and enjoy your money,happy days win/win.
But no, their priority was to make some more money, with us second...will never forgive that,
If they Weren't "West Ham" could have shrugged it off...oh well that's life..but the pretence
of "We see it very much as a break even project" and "doing it as fans"
Makes it tough for me personally to give any praise at all.

If they got us where I want us to be.....Take a Mill a month out guys,good luck to them
I'd even by em a pint.

Agree totally....you don't come into the football ownership as a business venture, be
the last thing you'd choose,only the Spuds out of all teams have made a success of that.

Money in footie F**cks me off....in fact it it wasn't for my love of us,I could easily not
bother with the PL,and go and support MK.....


I did like the days before the PL,when all 22 teams knew they had an outside chance of winning it before the season started. Obviously,you had your favorites,but you had that small chance.You look at your Forests,Derby,Villa and Everton's who all come from no where to lift the Title.

Ok,Leicester did it in 2016,but predominantly,the Top 6,Man U,City,Liverpool,Arsenal,Chelsea and Spurs will occupy them positions.Occasionally,one will fall out,but that`s it.Top 6 is a massive success for the rest.Has good has winning a trophy for many.

I`d defiantly take going back to where we were before the PL.The atmosphere and a chance to compete with every other team.
0 x


Return to “Football Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests