FFS Get a grip

Chat about anything football related here!
Whiskyman

Re: FFS Get a grip

Postby Whiskyman » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:20 am

eskimo joe wrote:
Baddowhammer wrote:Couldn't agree more about the away support,well put Whisky.COYI

Its been asked what is the difference between a fan and a supporter, maybe H69 just answered that question once and for all.

I've always reckoned a supporter is someone who attends games whenever time and finances permit. A fan is someone who is just as passionate about the club but, for a variety of reasons, doesn't, or isn't able to, attend.

So as far as I'm concerned for 30 odd years I was a supporter, but for the last season and a bit I've been a fan. But no doubt others will have different interpretations.
1 x
If it looks like a cunt, walks like a cunt, and talks like a cunt it's either Boris Johnson or Jeremy Corbyn.

eskimo joe

Postby eskimo joe » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:29 am

Whiskyman wrote:
eskimo joe wrote:
Its been asked what is the difference between a fan and a supporter, maybe H69 just answered that question once and for all.

I've always reckoned a supporter is someone who attends games whenever time and finances permit. A fan is someone who is just as passionate about the club but, for a variety of reasons, doesn't, or isn't able to, attend.

So as far as I'm concerned for 30 odd years I was a supporter, but for the last season and a bit I've been a fan. But no doubt others will have different interpretations.

I hear you, but you would imagine the word FAN being a shortened version of fanatic would apply more to those that attend and eat and drink West Ham, and a supporter being one who attends games , be it occasionally or regularly and buys the odd scarf etc.
0 x
A good person does things in silence, others strive to be seen as good so scream out their deeds.

mkhammer

Postby mkhammer » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:33 am

Castiron wrote:
hd1 wrote:

Take your pick....

Number 1. It's good to talk :D

Don't know mate....the Sword Fighting thing has always looked pretty Cool.... :lol:
0 x

mkhammer

Postby mkhammer » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:56 am

eskimo joe wrote:
Whiskyman wrote:

I hear you, but you would imagine the word FAN being a shortened version of fanatic would apply more to those that attend and eat and drink West Ham, and a supporter being one who attends games , be it occasionally or regularly and buys the odd scarf etc.

Whats a follower..... :lol:

But dont know if you can answer that one....met some seriously passionate guys and girls,
who love adore worship, everything West Ham,but for what ever reason don't/cant attend,
Money,distance,to young,to old,handicapped,100 reasons...
But I also know some seriously,What you would call Hardcore...home and away EVERY GAME,like
I used to be...not so much now...who sometimes don't go into the ground,just stay in the
boozer.....Upton and Iconic....and these guys live and breathe the Irons...they love em..
Think couple of em missed the Burnley shenanigans.... :lol:
Everyone supports in their own way I spose..
0 x

eskimo joe

Postby eskimo joe » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:02 am

mkhammer wrote:
eskimo joe wrote:

But dont know if you can answer that one....met some seriously passionate guys and girls,
who love adore worship, everything West Ham,but for what ever reason don't/cant attend,
But I also know some seriously,What you would call Hardcore...home and away EVERY GAME,like
I used to be...not so much now...who sometimes don't go into the ground,just stay in the
boozer.....Upton and Iconic....and these guys live and breathe the Irons...they love em..

Could be they are merely words bandied around in a game of one upmanship.
0 x
A good person does things in silence, others strive to be seen as good so scream out their deeds.

Mikeveep

Postby Mikeveep » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:18 am

Fan,supporter,follower....meh

There's at least 65,000 of us and probably just as many categories.

I'm an hour from the ground door to seat. And I like a break from the old lady for away games.No sacrifices from me.
0 x

Whiskyman

Postby Whiskyman » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:57 pm

eskimo joe wrote:
Whiskyman wrote:

I've always regarded anyone who buys the odd scarf. or for that matter any other over priced merchandise, a bit of a plank tbh. Unless it's for a kid of course. I always feel a bit sorry for a fat, balding 40 or 50 something with a replica shirt, particularly if it's got a player's name on the back.
0 x
If it looks like a cunt, walks like a cunt, and talks like a cunt it's either Boris Johnson or Jeremy Corbyn.

FlatCapDave

Postby FlatCapDave » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:01 pm

Whiskyman wrote:I've always regarded anyone who buys the odd scarf. or for that matter any other over priced merchandise, a bit of a plank tbh. Unless it's for a kid of course. I always feel a bit sorry for a fat, balding 40 or 50 something with a replica shirt, particularly if it's got a player's name on the back.

So, we're planks if we buy a scarf, and worthy of pity if we wear a replica shirt? Christ almighty, what chance do us oldies have?!?

Personally, I wear a scarf in the winter to games (nearly 40 now, can't handle the cold as well as I used to) and have been known to wear the odd retro shirt on occasion, though those are usually worn around the house or if i'm out working in the garden.
0 x

Whiskyman

Postby Whiskyman » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:02 pm

mkhammer wrote:
eskimo joe wrote:

Not digging anyone out, each to his own and all that, but for the life of me I've never got why some people travel in to the area and then don't go to the game but watch it in a pub. I can understand people enjoying watching football in a pub but not travelling, in some cases, a long way to do so.
0 x

Whiskyman

Postby Whiskyman » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:06 pm

FlatCapDave wrote:
Whiskyman wrote:I've always regarded anyone who buys the odd scarf. or for that matter any other over priced merchandise, a bit of a plank tbh. Unless it's for a kid of course. I always feel a bit sorry for a fat, balding 40 or 50 something with a replica shirt, particularly if it's got a player's name on the back.

So, we're planks if we buy a scarf, and worthy of pity if we wear a replica shirt? Christ almighty, what chance do us oldies have?!?

Personally, I wear a scarf in the winter to games (nearly 40 now, can't handle the cold as well as I used to) and have been known to wear the odd retro shirt on occasion, though those are usually worn around the house or if i'm out working in the garden.

It's not the actual product Dave, it's the shelling out of a large number of sovs just to look like every other bugger in the ground. Whatever happened to being a fashion icon? ;)

And FFS please don't tell me you've got a player's name on the back of your shirt. :lol:
0 x

Return to “Football Talk”