FFS Get a grip

Chat about anything football related here!
eskimo joe

Re: FFS Get a grip

Post by eskimo joe » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:09 pm

Whiskyman wrote:
mkhammer wrote:

Whats a follower..... :lol:

But dont know if you can answer that one....met some seriously passionate guys and girls,
who love adore worship, everything West Ham,but for what ever reason don't/cant attend,
Money,distance,to young,to old,handicapped,100 reasons...
But I also know some seriously,What you would call Hardcore...home and away EVERY GAME,like
I used to be...not so much now...who sometimes don't go into the ground,just stay in the
boozer.....Upton and Iconic....and these guys live and breathe the Irons...they love em..
Think couple of em missed the Burnley shenanigans.... :lol:
Everyone supports in their own way I spose..
Not digging anyone out, each to his own and all that, but for the life of me I've never got why some people travel in to the area and then don't go to the game but watch it in a pub. I can understand people enjoying watching football in a pub but not travelling, in some cases, a long way to do so.
Could be many reasons, its still cheaper than paying for a ticket and still having to travel, and you pay for drinks most normally would anyway, and you get a bit of that match day feeling, feel a little more involved meeting up with mates who might live in the opposite direction. And at least you have easy access to some medicine to drown your sorrows in, or maybe to heighten the buzz. Who knows, not for me, but i partially get it.
0 x
A good person does things in silence, others strive to be seen as good so scream out their deeds.

Mikeveep

Post by Mikeveep » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:04 pm

Did we have any of Pele's ex players in our squad when Dave was a bit flush.

Wayne Bridge,maybe.
0 x

Mikeveep

Post by Mikeveep » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:16 pm

eskimo joe wrote:
Whiskyman wrote:
Not digging anyone out, each to his own and all that, but for the life of me I've never got why some people travel in to the area and then don't go to the game but watch it in a pub. I can understand people enjoying watching football in a pub but not travelling, in some cases, a long way to do so.
Could be many reasons, its still cheaper than paying for a ticket and still having to travel, and you pay for drinks most normally would anyway, and you get a bit of that match day feeling, feel a little more involved meeting up with mates who might live in the opposite direction. And at least you have easy access to some medicine to drown your sorrows in, or maybe to heighten the buzz. Who knows, not for me, but i partially get it.
You're right Joe, Guys like to be in gangs..
0 x

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:32 pm

FlatCapDave wrote:
Whiskyman wrote: I've always regarded anyone who buys the odd scarf. or for that matter any other over priced merchandise, a bit of a plank tbh. Unless it's for a kid of course. I always feel a bit sorry for a fat, balding 40 or 50 something with a replica shirt, particularly if it's got a player's name on the back.
So, we're planks if we buy a scarf, and worthy of pity if we wear a replica shirt? Christ almighty, what chance do us oldies have?!?

Personally, I wear a scarf in the winter to games (nearly 40 now, can't handle the cold as well as I used to) and have been known to wear the odd retro shirt on occasion, though those are usually worn around the house or if i'm out working in the garden.
Don't wear shirts to games,but usually pick a couple up over the season,but end of season
for the replicas....got the light blue Ironworks one..beautiful shirt..Tenner or so last year.. the
Black Boleyn Memorial 3rd shirt,Got that off Ebay somewhere,always worth a look now and again,
some decent original stuff knocking around on it,got some nice tees from it.
Got the Long Live the Boleyn T,while back,done by Irons fans that one.
Usually have an Irons T on during the day.....Replicas more to collect..

Gotta few West Ham Woolie hats for the winter tho..... :lol:
0 x

FlatCapDave

Post by FlatCapDave » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:09 pm

Whiskyman wrote: And FFS please don't tell me you've got a player's name on the back of your shirt. :lol:
Still wear me away shirt with Zaza on the back with pride I'll have you know! :D
0 x

hammerwell75

Post by hammerwell75 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:19 pm

It's the scarfs with West Ham on half and the team you play on the other half I hate . :o
0 x

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:59 pm

mkhammer wrote:
eskimo joe wrote:
I hear you, but you would imagine the word FAN being a shortened version of fanatic would apply more to those that attend and eat and drink West Ham, and a supporter being one who attends games , be it occasionally or regularly and buys the odd scarf etc.

Whats a follower..... :lol:

But dont know if you can answer that one....met some seriously passionate guys and girls,
who love adore worship, everything West Ham,but for what ever reason don't/cant attend,
Money,distance,to young,to old,handicapped,100 reasons...
But I also know some seriously,What you would call Hardcore...home and away EVERY GAME,like
I used to be...not so much now...who sometimes don't go into the ground,just stay in the
boozer.....Upton and Iconic....and these guys live and breathe the Irons...they love em..
Think couple of em missed the Burnley shenanigans.... :lol:
Everyone supports in their own way I spose..
I don`t get down there has much has I use to.Probably count on one hand the amount of times I get down there a season(work etc),though my kids get down there quite a bit,with a few away games too.
It don`t make me any less passionate from the guy/gal(politically correct :lol: ) who go every week.It`s in the blood.You can`t help that.Mind you,the past 8 years(apart from last at UP) its become a bit less appealing on the footballing side :( I still love West Ham,that will never change.
0 x

FlatCapDave

Post by FlatCapDave » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:48 pm

hammerwell75 wrote:It's the scarfs with West Ham on half and the team you play on the other half I hate . :o
Those things are the fucking worst. A simple West Ham bar scarf is all you need.
0 x

Marco Boogers Boots

Post by Marco Boogers Boots » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:54 am

FlatCapDave wrote:
hammerwell75 wrote:It's the scarfs with West Ham on half and the team you play on the other half I hate . :o
Those things are the fucking worst. A simple West Ham bar scarf is all you need.
They’re terrible items. Any children wearing them should be spoken to, educated as to why it is wrong. Any adults wearing them should have the scarf set alight whilst it’s tied around their neck. If they survive they should be banned from every football ground on earth. For life.
0 x

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:56 am

Marco Boogers Boots wrote:
FlatCapDave wrote:
They’re terrible items. Any children wearing them should be spoken to, educated as to why it is wrong. Any adults wearing them should have the scarf set alight whilst it’s tied around their neck. If they survive they should be banned from every football ground on earth. For life.
I agree they're bloody naff. But I can understand why a kid might want one as a souvenir from the first match he went to. And probably cheaper than buying a magazine filled with adverts that used to be called a programme. That's the only reason I can think of why anyone would want one. And tbh I'd rather see a kid wearing one of them than some porker ( yes, I fit into that category) squeezing himself into a fucking replica shirt. I don't fit into that category btw, and not just because I wouldn't fit into the shirt. ;)

And what posesses an otherwise (presumably) sound minded adult to wear a replica shirt with a player's name on the back fuck only knows. My eldest grandson is 12 now but when he was 5 he had a Barcelona jersey with you know who's name on the back. When he outgrew that one he decided he wanted his own name on the back of the next one. In case Messi leaves was his reasoning. He wasn't even 7 at the time.

In my old UP seat in the West Stand there was a bloke a couple of rows in front of me who always turned up in a replica with Morrison and the number 15 on it. I should have asked for a fucking discount. ;)
0 x
I demand answers. And I demand them now. Why is there only one monopolies commission ?