Moyes. In retrospect

Chat about anything football related here!
IronsForever

Re: Moyes. In retrospect

Post by IronsForever » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:53 pm

Strong possibility we will have ZERO points after 7 games!! Offensive players apart from Arnie that cant press or tackle. Vulnerable full backs and a weak midfield. Thats after spending 100 million. Nahhh we are better off without Moyes and Pearce. Lets not forget they pulled off a tough task with a worse squad. Great times await !!
Also once we were out of relegation the 2 games against Leicester and Everton were pretty decent. I guess the guy had to do what he thought was needed to keep us up. If he played the Pellegrini way we would be in the championship right now.
0 x
Come On You Irons!!!!!!!!!!

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:33 am

I adored the man.

I've changed my daughter's name by deed poll to Morag and I've had that famous photo of him in his playing days tattooed on my chest.

I now only eat deep-fried snickers and wash my nads every day in irn bru.

Won't hear a bad word about him.
0 x
It's not the principle. It's the money.

FlatCapDave

Post by FlatCapDave » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:15 am

It's all too easy to look back at this point and say "oh, we shoulda kept Moyes!" but if Pellegrini sorts this out and we start playing good football and winning games it won't be long before ol' Davie is forgotten, left to ride the New York transit system alone forever.

The truth is, if he was half as good as some here think he is he'd be in a fucking job, and not riding around the US public transport system trying to snag an interview for an MLS side.

The owners have made a bit of a fist of taking us to the "next level," which is a phrase I heard all of last season from disgruntled fans who were complaining that the new stadium was supposed to signal "next level" as far as spending, players and manager goes.

Now we've got it and those same fans are saying "Yeah, well, when I said next level I meant a different next level to this particular form of next level!"

Fear not, ye moaning sods, because if this goes belly-up we'll quickly revert to type, and you can all rejoice as we bring in a David Moyes-esque manager, rid ourselves of these workshy lightweights that we've signed in the summer and replace them with solid, lower league "runs their socks off" types, all the while aiming for a solid 15th place finish and a cup quarter final if we're lucky.

Back to the good ol' days. The only thing that will be missing is some jellied eels and the nostalgic stench of some cunts warm piss running down the old terrace beside my new Adidas.
0 x

brookingslovechild

Post by brookingslovechild » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:45 am

FlatCapDave wrote:It's all too easy to look back at this point and say "oh, we shoulda kept Moyes!" but if Pellegrini sorts this out and we start playing good football and winning games it won't be long before ol' Davie is forgotten, left to ride the New York transit system alone forever.

The truth is, if he was half as good as some here think he is he'd be in a fucking job, and not riding around the US public transport system trying to snag an interview for an MLS side.

The owners have made a bit of a fist of taking us to the "next level," which is a phrase I heard all of last season from disgruntled fans who were complaining that the new stadium was supposed to signal "next level" as far as spending, players and manager goes.

Now we've got it and those same fans are saying "Yeah, well, when I said next level I meant a different next level to this particular form of next level!"

Fear not, ye moaning sods, because if this goes belly-up we'll quickly revert to type, and you can all rejoice as we bring in a David Moyes-esque manager, rid ourselves of these workshy lightweights that we've signed in the summer and replace them with solid, lower league "runs their socks off" types, all the while aiming for a solid 15th place finish and a cup quarter final if we're lucky.

Back to the good ol' days. The only thing that will be missing is some jellied eels and the nostalgic stench of some cunts warm piss running down the old terrace beside my new Adidas.

Dave, you are probably the most optimistic bloke on here and i love it, and for all us naysayers (see, moaning sods) i really hope you have a 'told you so' moment before xmas. :) keep it up old boy you might even win me around!
0 x

Gonzo

Post by Gonzo » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:47 am

Perhaps it's easy to look back and make one manager seem better than the other but it's entirely possible the neither Pellegrini nor Moyes were any good for West Ham . . . . . . . . maybe it's not the mangers at all???
0 x

FlatCapDave

Post by FlatCapDave » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:13 am

brookingslovechild wrote: Dave, you are probably the most optimistic bloke on here and i love it, and for all us naysayers (see, moaning sods) i really hope you have a 'told you so' moment before xmas. :) keep it up old boy you might even win me around!
I think I'm just enjoying this rather weird and unique period in our history. We don't usually spend, and we're not usually a club that the media and fans of other clubs are discussing, but we are at the moment.
Gonzo wrote:Perhaps it's easy to look back and make one manager seem better than the other but it's entirely possible the neither Pellegrini nor Moyes were any good for West Ham . . . . . . . . maybe it's not the mangers at all???
That's something that did occur to me. If Pellegrini does fail here, do we write it off as a guy who's suddenly turned into an inept coach overnight? Or do we ask questions of the board and ownership? It's a tough one.
0 x

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:44 am

palerider wrote: I wash my nads every day in irn bru.
Well, something had to be done to improve the taste of the bloody stuff. ;)
0 x
I demand answers. And I demand them now. Why is there only one monopolies commission ?

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:04 am

Hindsight is the best decision making tool I know. Colours nailed to the mast I am happy to admit that when names of our next manager were being thrown around mid season I did put forward Pellegrini's name. So if it goes tits up blame me, I've got broad shoulders.

That said I believe in learn to walk before you can run and we have tried taking on Usain Bolt before mastering the morning stroll to the newsagents. Major surgery to the squad was needed, that was bloody obvious, but in trying to rectify the many faults we had we appear at the moment to have assembled a squad of much greater talent than we had but we are a long way from having that squad perform like a team.

I believe in giving credit where it's due and I think Moyes deserves credit for the job he did last season. Make no mistake we were heading down the flusher when he came in. I am also prepared to give Allardyce credit for engineering an immediate return to the PL and consolidating our position in it. That is NOT to say I would have wanted either Moyes or Allardyce at our club long term. Imo Allardyce was allowed to stay a year too long and Moyes was probably discarded too quickly.

Imo there is no doubt Pellegrini is a capable manager. His record with mid size clubs, Villarreal and Malaga, stands comparison with anybody and he has also won titles. So it's now up to him to prove that he can turn the current squad into a cohesive, functioning unit and not cause a lot of us to regret not being more careful what we wished for.
0 x
I demand answers. And I demand them now. Why is there only one monopolies commission ?

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:05 am

Gonzo wrote:Perhaps it's easy to look back and make one manager seem better than the other but it's entirely possible the neither Pellegrini nor Moyes were any good for West Ham . . . . . . . . maybe it's not the mangers at all???
Maybe not Kris.

I have, as you possibly know, a simple philosophy, namely, do I want to be entertained or not ?

There was a certain admirable, backs-to-wall, give it to Gerry, six-of-the-best, trousers down quality in the ground out draws at Chelsea and the bacon-dodgers last season, and a valuable 3 points too against the spy-poisoners. And I was pleased with that. But the utter garbage in 'easier' games including respecting the point against Stoke at the ILS, even with it's amazing high-speed transport links made me wish I'd not given up sniffing glue.

And so far, Pellegrini has been found wanting. You can't even say it's been more entertaining yet although the Arsenal game was. I've heard, encouraging. I was in Germany at the time so didn't even see MOTD. But I'm of the belief it will come good. And if it doesn't ?

Then going back to Pulis, Shrek, Moyes or whoever favours that dross will leave me even less enthusiastic about West Ham and the game in general with it's obscene amount of money and wall-to-wall gambling ads than I am now.

I posted at the start of last season, after the drubbing at Manure, what was the point ? The top 2 this season will be City and Liverpool. The next 4 in whatever order will be Chelsea, United, Arsenal and Spurs. So you are in fact, kicking off the season to play for 7th. As for cups ? Sure. Until a top 6 side makes the QF's then get interested and ditch their youth team, who are good enough to beat half the teams in the PL anyway.

The bare truth is that the dwarf finally put his very short arm in his very long pocket to the tune of 100 million. The Bin Dippers spent two thirds of that on a not very good goalkeeper. Yes you can argue that MP should be getting more out of those that we did buy and that the one player who could have made a difference, a mobile and pacy midfielder, didn't arrive. Sean Dyche achieved near immortality in Burnley with a squad a tenth of what ours cost, but would I want to watch that week in week out ?

I'd rather gouge my eyes out.

I'm old-school. A dinosaur. Living in the past. I believe in the 'West Ham way' even though it no longer exists. I want entertainment. And the division we're in to watch it isn't important to me. For those who maintain that just surviving to trouser Sky's money is the only thing that matters, they're entitled to their opinion.

And I'm reminded of Huddersfield doing a fucking lap of honour for finishing 17th.

Not for me.

And you are correct. It probably isn't the managers. Maybe we'll be doomed to sail the seas of damnation like the Flying Dutchman for as long as that stunted fucker is at the wheel. I don't in all honesty know. But what I do know is that reverting back to the knuckle-dragging shit served up by Shrek (for the record, Moyes was a vast improvement on that), will make my once a season venture to London make me look like a traveller.
0 x
It's not the principle. It's the money.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:13 am

Just so the "Pellegrini outers" can pillory the right person. ;)

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8395&p=147692&hili ... ni#p147692" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
0 x