Moyes. In retrospect

Chat about anything football related here!
Mikeveep

Re: Moyes. In retrospect

Postby Mikeveep » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:29 pm

FlatCapDave wrote:
Mikeveep wrote:And he had little or no money to improve or personalise the team during his one window.

And yet, the little money he did have he blew on Jordan fucking Hugill. That's a sackable offence in itself.

There's a reason why Moyes is touting himself for a job, any fucking job, in America with an MLS "franchise" and hasn't been snapped up by even a Championship side here.

That transfer smacks of some kind of money laundering by the owners'

And I reckon it's that kind of ungrateful UK Board that is making Moyes look elsewhere.
Last edited by Mikeveep on Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Whiskyman

Postby Whiskyman » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:58 pm

Mikeveep wrote:It was only when it was known that he was joining us that I was hearing, on here, how he was in the same category as Sam,Pullis and Warnock. Unfairly tarred with that brush by fans disgruntled because we didnt get a glamorous "face", despite the previous guy who fitted that bill failing completely.

I agree with you that Moyes was unfairly tarred with the same brush as those you mention but I don't so much think it was a "glamour" thing people wanted but somebody with a history of achievement. He built a solid squad at Everton but, one season apart, in which Everton failed in the qualifiers for the CL and then blew their European qualifier, they hit a brick wall and never looked like progressing.

My take on Moyes is that is that if arguably the greatest manager our league has ever seen recommended him for the biggest managerial job in English football he must have something going for him.

That said his early decisions in that "biggest job", dismantling much of the backroom structure Ferguson had, and some of his signings were, to say the least, questionable. And, let's be frank, he inherited a side which, for all it's shortcomings, had won the league by a decent margin the season before.

And I think most would agree he committed professional Hari-Kari when he chose to join Sunderland, a decision that surely cast doubts upon his decision making.
0 x
If it looks like a cunt, walks like a cunt, and talks like a cunt it's either Boris Johnson or Jeremy Corbyn.

deanox

Postby deanox » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:01 am

Can’t be arsed to read the whole thread... fuck Moyes.. you may as well have fat Sam. I like Pellegrini, he likes to play they way WE LIKE TO PLAY.
We are not a top six team, never have been, probably never will be so just enjoy the fact we are mediocre, I have for the past 50 years.
3 x
"If my auntie had bollox she'd be my uncle"

Mikeveep

Postby Mikeveep » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:39 am

Righto,Dean, so we'll put up with the present mess,because the likes of De Bruyne,Sterling,Kaka etc are just finalising their plans to move to Stratford.

Pelle spent a BILLION pounds at City to get those performances and the football we like to play.

And that's "old" Money !
0 x

andyginbrasil

Postby andyginbrasil » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:25 am

Mikeveep wrote:Righto,Dean, so we'll put up with the present mess,because the likes of De Bruyne,Sterling,Kaka etc are just finalising their plans to move to Stratford.

Pelle spent a BILLION pounds at City to get those performances and the football we like to play.

And that's "old" Money !

To be fair to Mr P, Mike he only spent about 370 million at city, of which 200 million was spent on 5 players who are still regular first team players, so we cant be that far away from performances like City.....can we?
0 x

Mikeveep

Postby Mikeveep » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:53 am

Thank you,made a mistake there. That's his total spending.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/manuel- ... ainer/1558

But I think its somewhere in between.
0 x

Whiskyman

Postby Whiskyman » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:03 pm

Mikeveep wrote:Thank you,made a mistake there. That's his total spending.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/manuel- ... ainer/1558

But I think its somewhere in between.

You have to admit though Mike that, Wilfred Bony apart, and three Chinese blokes who feature, there aren't too many duffers in that little lot are there ?
0 x
If it looks like a cunt, walks like a cunt, and talks like a cunt it's either Boris Johnson or Jeremy Corbyn.

FlatCapDave

Postby FlatCapDave » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:25 am

Only at fucking West Ham can we get in a manager who's been at Real Madrid, won the title with City, took a club like Malaga to the brink of the Champions League semi-finals, and actually took Villarreal to the semi-finals yet be moaning like fuck after a handful of games and actually questioning if we should have went with David fucking Moyes instead.

If I was one of our owners just now, I'd be thinking "I'd have been better just hiring a relegation battler of a manager on the cheap and spending fuck all on players, because the fans would have been moaning regardless."

This guy we have now is one of, if not the single most experienced and successful manager we've had in decades.

I've said it a thousand times, he's changed the squad, the way we play, the way we set up, pretty much everything about the club. It's gonna take time to get it all up and running the way he wants.

The fans have been crying out for a more entertaining style, crying out for "next level," crying out for better signings rather than the same old dross we always get, and now that it's taking a bit of time to make the transition it's a case of not wanting to know, wanting to revert back to what we've had for years.

We moaned about all of the above at the owners, about how they didn't spend on players or a quality manager, and now they've done that we've quickly shifted focus to the training ground and started moaning about that!

Thirty fucking years this fella has been in the management game, and he's rarely failed in any of his jobs.

How many managers do we know who've been in the game for thirty years, managing 14 clubs but who have only been dismissed twice? And those two times he was dismissed it was to make way for Jose Mourinho and Pep Guardiola, with Madrid readily admitting that if Mourinho hadn't become available they'd have kept Pellegrini.

Personally, I'm more than happy to take him at his word that he knows what he's doing and that he'll get it right, because the truth is we're probably never going to see someone as successful as him walk into the West Ham managers office again.
2 x

Whiskyman

Postby Whiskyman » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:11 am

FlatCapDave wrote:Only at fucking West Ham can we get in a manager who's been at Real Madrid, won the title with City, took a club like Malaga to the brink of the Champions League semi-finals, and actually took Villarreal to the semi-finals yet be moaning like fuck after a handful of games and actually questioning if we should have went with David fucking Moyes instead.

If I was one of our owners just now, I'd be thinking "I'd have been better just hiring a relegation battler of a manager on the cheap and spending fuck all on players, because the fans would have been moaning regardless."

This guy we have now is one of, if not the single most experienced and successful manager we've had in decades.

I've said it a thousand times, he's changed the squad, the way we play, the way we set up, pretty much everything about the club. It's gonna take time to get it all up and running the way he wants.

The fans have been crying out for a more entertaining style, crying out for "next level," crying out for better signings rather than the same old dross we always get, and now that it's taking a bit of time to make the transition it's a case of not wanting to know, wanting to revert back to what we've had for years.

We moaned about all of the above at the owners, about how they didn't spend on players or a quality manager, and now they've done that we've quickly shifted focus to the training ground and started moaning about that!

Thirty fucking years this fella has been in the management game, and he's rarely failed in any of his jobs.

How many managers do we know who've been in the game for thirty years, managing 14 clubs but who have only been dismissed twice? And those two times he was dismissed it was to make way for Jose Mourinho and Pep Guardiola, with Madrid readily admitting that if Mourinho hadn't become available they'd have kept Pellegrini.

Personally, I'm more than happy to take him at his word that he knows what he's doing and that he'll get it right, because the truth is we're probably never going to see someone as successful as him walk into the West Ham managers office again.

Very well put. But do you not think we may have missed a trick by not snaring Alex McLeish before he answered Scotland's call, or maybe securing the services of his predecessor, Gordon Strachan ? Or of course we could have re hired Alan Pardew after he was so unfairly dismissed by West Brom. After all he did win one game while he was there I believe.
1 x

BlackDiamond

Postby BlackDiamond » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:25 am

FlatCapDave wrote:Only at fucking West Ham can we get in a manager who's been at Real Madrid, won the title with City, took a club like Malaga to the brink of the Champions League semi-finals, and actually took Villarreal to the semi-finals yet be moaning like fuck after a handful of games and actually questioning if we should have went with David fucking Moyes instead.

Convincing appraisal and I agree. The issue, after 4 games - apart from 20 mins Arsenal - is our football team is distinctly lacking in method in winning games of football. And because of that, confidence in the new coach is at a level where his system,tactics,approach are being questioned.

That's not traitorous,ungrateful or borne of stupidity. It's probably a mixture of curiosity and worry.

I think we will win at Everton and everything will look different...or we won't and something else will happen... :o
1 x

Return to “Football Talk”