Moyes. In retrospect

Chat about anything football related here!
mkhammer

Re: Moyes. In retrospect

Postby mkhammer » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:26 am

In Moyes defence we lost Reid Ginge and Fonte..was forced into playing a 19 year old,and
a left back,in central defence.
Lost Lanzini at a crucial time when the link up with Arnie (who HE decided was wasted out wide)
was looking seriously promising and as exciting as anything I've seen for a while....
We lost 4pts minimum thru a stupid decision by Micky (Palace) and the handball goal(B'mouth)
that would have put us top 10.....
He was here for what was/is the the worst time in our clubs history,yet he gets battered by some
supporters.
Cant imagine whats its like working under Sullivan.....

I really don't get all this he plays a negative boring game,Defence first yes....all day long,
but he had no cover in that area....(partly thanks to Sullivans handling of the Fonte situation)
And something Peller needs to take note of,poor defensive set up you lose....simple...
no matter how many attack minded players you have in.

Said before, Firmly believe,with a 100 mill to spend...he would have got us top 8 somewhere..
Couple/3 years of that,get Established/Settled......Everton......then Pushed on, got someone
else in and then Pushed on.....Spurs....

Have to say this again.....I want him to be successful...but he's/we're jumping the gun
at the moment....it's shit or bust stuff...
And have to admit.....Never been THIS worried bout us,he makes basic errors,that's the prob.
One New unproven guy protecting....a New Back 4......C'mon....

Would have taken Peller over Moyes all day long ,we all would have,but after seeing them
both.....the Jurys out....to say the least...
1 x

h69

Postby h69 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:28 am

mkhammer wrote:In Moyes defence we lost Reid Ginge and Fonte..was forced into playing a 19 year old,and
a left back,in central defence.
Lost Lanzini at a crucial time when the link up with Arnie (who HE decided was wasted out wide)
was looking seriously promising and as exciting as anything I've seen for a while....
We lost 4pts minimum thru a stupid decision by Micky (Palace) and the handball goal(B'mouth)
that would have put us top 10.....
He was here for what was/is the the worst time in our clubs history,yet he gets battered by some
supporters.
Cant imagine whats its like working under Sullivan.....

I really don't get all this he plays a negative boring game,Defence first yes....all day long,
but he had no cover in that area....(partly thanks to Sullivans handling of the Fonte situation)
And something Peller needs to take note of,poor defensive set up you lose....simple...
no matter how many attack minded players you have in.

Said before, Firmly believe,with a 100 mill to spend...he would have got us top 8 somewhere..
Couple/3 years of that,get Established/Settled......Everton......then Pushed on, got someone
else in and then Pushed on.....Spurs....

Have to say this again.....I want him to be successful...but he's/we're jumping the gun
at the moment....it's shit or bust stuff...
And have to admit.....Never been THIS worried bout us,he makes basic errors,that's the prob.
One New unproven guy protecting....a New Back 4......C'mon....

Would have taken Peller over Moyes all day long ,we all would have,but after seeing them
both.....the Jurys out....to say the least...

goodpost:)

Well put but not an argument you will win as our fans will only accept a manager that plays open attractive football 'the west ham way' that can defend, press high and win cups....all made up of academy graduates. Apparently it seems that was always the way we were prior to these owners arriving ;)

Until then, all managers at West Ham are on a hiding to nothing and will rarely get support.

By the way, that Bournemouth goal was handball AND offside just for the record....I wont forget that cheating cunt :evil: :evil:
1 x

Mikeveep

Postby Mikeveep » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:05 am

Only 7 league games have passed since we started a sequence of win.draw.win under Moyes.

What would any manager/fan/observer do on taking over?

Why, of course.Resolve the glaring deficiency. Get in the holding &/or box to box midfielders which are required under any system whether it's defensive or all out attacking.

Instead, he sold Kouyate!

Seems to have turned over two pages of the plan at once.

His Reputation can't survive that howler.
0 x

FlatCapDave

Postby FlatCapDave » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:03 pm

BlackDiamond wrote:Convincing appraisal and I agree. The issue, after 4 games - apart from 20 mins Arsenal - is our football team is distinctly lacking in method in winning games of football. And because of that, confidence in the new coach is at a level where his system,tactics,approach are being questioned.

That's not traitorous,ungrateful or borne of stupidity. It's probably a mixture of curiosity and worry.

I think we will win at Everton and everything will look different...or we won't and something else will happen... :o

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one bit happy with how we've looked this season so far. I expected better, even if I do know that the job of transforming us from boring shit to something resembling a team people would be happy paying good money to watch is quite a task.

My main point is that if we can't put our faith in someone of his track record and experience to make good on what's been started here, then we may as well just chuck the whole thing and call it a day.

There's obviously no guarantees in life, but if there's a safer bet that someone like him can make it work I've yet to see it.
0 x

hammerwell75

Postby hammerwell75 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:31 pm

I thought everyone wanted Kouyate sold ? ( sure there was many of posts on here alone about him and how he shouldn't be in the team ) .

Mind you a lot of posters wanted Moyes to go come the end of his contract too and be replaced by a more exciting Manager , many as I recall wanted Rafa , how well are Newcastle doing ? Oh yeah 1 more point than us . As flatcap Dave said , I think we just like to moan and look to point the finger at someone or something ......

There's a lot of negativity around the club at the moment and TBH it's understandable , but we've got to try and pull ourselves through it the best we can . We are West Ham and it is not like it's anything new for us to be in this position but at least we still got time to make it good . A win on Sunday will be a good start and we can then go from there . whufc_crest
4 x

Porterman

Postby Porterman » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:55 pm

I LOVE attacking football.

No question.

But IN ANY walk of football YOU HAVE to be able to defend.

It's THEE thing that is the forerunner to how much attacking you can do.

For the past few seasons we have had either very average defenders ( which you can slightly get away with) if you have very good defensive midfielders.

Sadly we have had 2 of the worst the game has seen in recent times ( and I'm not going to c*** them again) they do it often enough themselves!!

Unfortunately Pellegrino hasn't done anything about that with hisn£100m?

Ergo our problem!!
0 x

Taansend

Postby Taansend » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:34 pm

Mikeveep wrote:Only 7 league games have passed since we started a sequence of win.draw.win under Moyes.

Why, of course.Resolve the glaring deficiency. Get in the holding &/or box to box midfielders which are required under any system whether it's defensive or all out attacking.

I thought most didn't taste Kouyate? I spent a lot of time defending him on here.
1 x

Mikeveep

Postby Mikeveep » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:02 pm

Sure he should have got rid.

But not if he wasn't going to bring in better players as replacement.

That's what I meant about turning over two pages of the plan. The page he missed said bring in quality mids. the next page said unload Kouyate.
0 x

Whiskyman

Postby Whiskyman » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:20 pm

hammerwell75 wrote:Mind you a lot of posters wanted Moyes to go come the end of his contract too and be replaced by a more exciting Manager , many as I recall wanted Rafa , how well are Newcastle doing ?
There's a lot of negativity around the club at the moment and TBH it's understandable , but we've got to try and pull ourselves through it the best we can . We are West Ham and it is not like it's anything new for us to be in this position but at least we still got time to make it good . A win on Sunday will be a good start and we can then go from there . whufc_crest

Imo Rafa Benitez is a very good manager. His track record proves it doesn't it ? But I did have a chuckle at some of the posts demanding gung ho attacking football, overseen by the same Rafa Benitez. David Moyes is Benitez lite. Benitez always gets the defensive part of the game right first but, unlike Moyes, until he took the Newcastle gig he's always had the funds to bring in the right type of midfielders and strikers to complete the jigsaw. Anyone who saw Newcastle's recent home game with Chelsea will realise that he set up his Newcastle side far more defensively than we did against the same opposition last season.
0 x
If it looks like a cunt, walks like a cunt, and talks like a cunt it's either Boris Johnson or Jeremy Corbyn.

Whiskyman

Postby Whiskyman » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:23 pm

Taansend wrote:
Mikeveep wrote:Only 7 league games have passed since we started a sequence of win.draw.win under Moyes.

I thought most didn't taste Kouyate? I spent a lot of time defending him on here.

Taste Kouyate ? Fuck me mate I hope you've destroyed the negatives. ;) Or whatever else has to be destroyed in the digital age.
0 x
If it looks like a cunt, walks like a cunt, and talks like a cunt it's either Boris Johnson or Jeremy Corbyn.

Return to “Football Talk”