Defending

Chat about anything football related here!
Hammertime

Re: Defending

Post by Hammertime » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:52 pm

I think we will see continued improvement as Diop & The General get used the system with Rice in front of them. They already look a better unit than a month ago. Really hope that Fredericks develops under Zaba & not end up another Byram. The 2 of them should be good to take care of RB all season. LB is going to have to be accommodated somehow in Pelle's system that employs the FBS as attacking width, someone in that mid is going to have to cover whoever plays back there.
0 x

Taansend

Post by Taansend » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:03 am

Did we look like letting in 3 or 4 against Man U?
0 x

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:26 am

Taansend wrote:Did we look like letting in 3 or 4 against Man U?
Nope. Lukaku put a header against the outside of the post and Fellaini brought a worldie out of Fabianski, but apart from those 2 efforts, and of course Rashford's goal, we looked solid.
0 x
I demand answers. And I demand them now. Why is there only one monopolies commission ?

andyginbrasil

Post by andyginbrasil » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:12 pm

After watching the match again, I took particular notice of the defense. What a great improvement, before he came to us I liked the way Balbuena played, no nonsense, Diop to be fair, I had not really heard of, but the two of them together look like they could form a great partnership. One thing I noticed that the discipline of our defense is a lot tighter. When we attack the defensive 4 push up in a line 10 or 15 yards from the halfway line, and keep that line, if anyone moves out young Declan covers. When we are on the defensive there is a distinct line again sat on the edge of the penalty area, they allow the opposition to enter the penalty area, without the ball, in an offside position there is no danger there but they keep that line tight, on two or 3 occasions yesterday they ALL took 1 step forward together and caught Man U offside. The first 4 games or so I also noticed they tried this, with devastating results, for us. Now we have more speed in the defense, Diop in particular, if the line was broken he is very quickly on the player. To see Us against Man u and not having to worry about a shaky defense is a godsend. But what really is the jewel in the crown, is that we now play the ball out of defense no more hoofball, passing between the defense and midfield has been lacking woefully over the past 2 or 3 seasons and imo is the main reason we are starting to get results. The midfield is no longer running half the length of the pitch chasing a hopeful punt of which if we are lucky will stay in our possession, if it is not the midfield had to return in total disarray to try and defend, now we start our attacks from the defense and man does it look good and organized. We will get caught out on occasions but that's the nature of the game, this year, if we don't suffer with injuries, I am confident we are not going to concede the amount of goals as last season, 15 matches we had 3 or more goals scored against us, that's not going to happen this season. Mr P is known for his attacking nature but by fuck has he improved the look of our defense......From a Happy Hammer
0 x

downunda

Post by downunda » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:00 pm

I think our defense is improving every game, the movement out from defense is now becoming a joy to watch.
Our two centre backs are improving every game, Diop is a fantastic find, one of the tackles he made against man u reminded me of what the great Bobby Moore did on numerous occasions.

Having Rice as defensive midfield has made a big difference, the wing positions have room for improvement but if we are to play quick break away type of football then there may need to be some sort of compromise.

Still early days but more than happy with our type of football.

COYI
0 x

andyginbrasil

Post by andyginbrasil » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:57 pm

Diop was a great buy, 22m looks a great player and still only 21. I know I keep harping on about him but, Balbuena was a snip, at 3m, he will never win MOM because he is not a spectacular player, next time you seem him play look how many times he just puts a foot in to disposes the opponents to break down attacks, wins a good few aerial balls as well. But between them I think we have the makings of a solid defense and more importantly, young.
0 x

Mikeveep

Post by Mikeveep » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:27 pm

Defense is solid and there are decent players to cover injuries,

And also wide midfield, lots of options.

Skinny in central midfield though, and desperately reliant on Arnie as our only CF.
0 x

andyginbrasil

Post by andyginbrasil » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:10 pm

Mikeveep wrote:Defense is solid and there are decent players to cover injuries,

And also wide midfield, lots of options.

Skinny in central midfield though, and desperately reliant on Arnie as our only CF.
We still have Lazini to return and I still think that Jack will come good so not that bad really in central midfield. As you say we need backup for Arnie. Hernandez I think will be moved on, AC.....could play that role...if fit...Perez maybe. We need to see if Fredericks has it but the way Zabba is playing when will he get the chance? The good thing is we wont have to buy in 9 or 10 players next August as we HAD to this year and therefore will be able to pick and choose what positions we are looking to improve, and for once not having to scrimp on the value, need to have another 10-12 matches yet to get an idea of what positions need improving.
0 x

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:17 am

andyginbrasil wrote:Diop was a great buy, 22m looks a great player and still only 21. I know I keep harping on about him but, Balbuena was a snip, at 3m, he will never win MOM because he is not a spectacular player, next time you seem him play look how many times he just puts a foot in to disposes the opponents to break down attacks, wins a good few aerial balls as well. But between them I think we have the makings of a solid defense and more importantly, young.
What we shouldn't lose sight of is that the upturn in form and results has coincided with Wilshere being out. Nothing against Wilshere because he does have some good attributes but he contributed less than fuck all in the games he was involved in. Tbh it's difficult to see where he could fit in with the system we are playing at the moment, remember that Pellegrini said that Noble is probably going to feature a lot and I don't see Wilshere doing to job Obiang & Rice are doing. Again, that's not his fault, but I can't see him being happy as bench fodder tbh.

Unfortunately I think we can write Lanzini off for this season. Even if he does return I can't see him being able to play a significant part in games after the injury he's had. And by all accounts Sanchez's injury is quite a bad one, hence the shirt waving by Arnie on Sunday.

Andy Carroll could do a lot of things if he was fit. Including actually earn his wages. He could dig my garden or mow my fucking lawn. But he's not fit, never will be so we can forget about him and finally be rid of the useless cunt next July. Andy Carroll, we want you to stay indeed. FUCKING CUNTS

Fredericks might be a useful back up to Zabaleta, Cresswell can back up Arthur and we've got Ogbonna, and Reid coming back at some point, who could slot into the centre of defence if and when needed. Snodgrass is proving he's better than most of us, certainly me, thought when he arrived and Wilshere could fill a midfield spot if we have injuries there, although that is one area where we look short of quality cover. The other of course is up top. Hernandez just hasn't worked. Not his fault but he's not a solo striker and Perez hasn't been over convincing. And now apparently the Silva kid is injured for a while.

But overall I'm relatively encouraged by recent events.
0 x
I demand answers. And I demand them now. Why is there only one monopolies commission ?

Flairon

Post by Flairon » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:53 am

There has been a marked and dramatic improvement in recent weeks. At this level most teams will create chances, so it comes as no surprise that other teams have chances to score. The work rate and organization at the back is much improved as far as I am concerned.
0 x
Flairon