Brighton v West Ham - Official Match Thread

Chat about anything football related here!

Can We Finally Beat Brighton In The Premier League?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:57 pm

Yes, West Ham win.
72%
Draw
17%
They beat us again.
11%

Total votes: 36

IronsForever

Re: Brighton v West Ham - Official Match Thread

Postby IronsForever » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:33 pm

Brookbonds73 wrote:100 mil over three years doesn't buy consistency. We need to be spending that every year if we're to be a top side.
We still need that midfield ball player.

He is called Lanzini Dave.
2 x
Come On You Irons!!!!!!!!!!

IronsForever

Postby IronsForever » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:37 pm

downunda wrote:just highlights the fact that the defence is weak with Masuaku at right back, and the midfield often looses possession with Obiang.

100% agree and it makes us even weaker that side when Anderson covers also. He trys his best but he cannot tackle lol
So a mid player has to come over and cover also leaving a space for their mid to run into. Cress is just as bad from what i have seen lately. If you are not going to let Masuaku off the lead then no point in playing him left back. Let him play in andersons spot and push Anderson into the middle. With Arthur playing left mid we can afford to play 2 only in the middle
0 x
Come On You Irons!!!!!!!!!!

Dwayne Pipes

Postby Dwayne Pipes » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:42 pm

Oh well back to normal getting beat by run of the mill sides.
0 x

punkrockhammer

Postby punkrockhammer » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:49 pm

IronsForever wrote:
Brookbonds73 wrote:100 mil over three years doesn't buy consistency. We need to be spending that every year if we're to be a top side.

He is called Lanzini Dave.

I actually think he’s called Anderson and we need a pacy left winger with a trick. I’m not convinced Lanzini will be the player he was, if he even gets back to playing at this level. Ironically, getting picked for his World Cup squad may have effectively ended his career at the top level

How we shelled out £40m for a left winger who isn’t a left winger is quite staggering tbh

And before someone, probably Numbers, says he played LW at Lazio, he didn’t play there much last season as he wasn’t often picked

It’s like someone giving us £40m for Antonio when he was being made to play at RB by Bilic
0 x

Chicken Runner

Postby Chicken Runner » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:53 pm

Well that was hard to watch. We looked constipated :|
0 x

ZP Hammer

Postby ZP Hammer » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:56 pm

I don't think our problem is down to buying more players. We had a couple of games where we've played pretty well but tonight nobody turned up. Arnie and Yarma looked out of sorts. The passing was woeful and at times suicidal. Some of the guys receiving passes expected to have half an hour to decide what to do and were surprised to find an opponent running in to take the ball from them.
We know Masuaku can dance around players with the ball, but when did we last see it?. He always seems determined to show he never loses the ball at the most inopportune moments; 2 men around him and in our half. When he gets the ball in opposition half and I'm screaming for him to dribble around someone he stops running and plays a short ball to someone.
Anderson needs to stop appealing for a foul every time he loses the ball. Get up and win it back, don't fling your hands in the air whingeing.
I've supported Antonio a lot but he seems to be playing in some parallel universe at times. His attempts on goal happen whenever he sees the goal regardless of whether there's someone in a better position or he's off balance. Sadly agree with the rest of the fanbase, time for him to go.
I've lost my thread in this post. Basically upset that didn't look good in any department (even Fabianski was caught out playing silly buggers). The attitude of the guys on Saturday would have won us this game. We need to get our heads right.
1 x

terrya1965

Postby terrya1965 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:01 pm

Neville Bartos wrote:Well that's the weekend ruined a day fucking earlier than usual.

And an International week to stew on it :cry:
0 x

Dicksies Diner

Postby Dicksies Diner » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:07 pm

Diop took. CHarge of that attack for the goal, telling g fuka--Arthur where to go and due to his non defending nut, he couldn't grasp the instructions.

These silly mistakes will be punished and for me it's not acceptable.

He had the bollocks waving his arms about haha what a fuka.

Liked our football up to Thier box, but nothing happened, bit like arsenal having a frustrated game under venger... Trying to walk it in.

Would like occasionally for us to swap Yarmo Anderson in game to the other wings. Occassionally. we need to. An out and out striker to push Arnie for his place .

Not to down about this. Fuck Arthur is no defender!
0 x
Love,peace and harmony to all Hammers.
Fuck the board.

Brookbonds73

Postby Brookbonds73 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:34 pm

dagenhamdave wrote:

Yes, maybe £100M on 2/3 players, not fucking 10/12. :shock:

Exactly Dave. Which leads me to believe that several of those players were bought by the shysters to appease the fans. We never in a million years needed 10.
0 x
Love a cup of Rosey I do.

Hildreth_1101

Postby Hildreth_1101 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:07 am

punkrockhammer wrote:
Hildreth_1101 wrote:Sort of half expected this but was hopeful we'd see a new West Ham, ie one who were confident but also still willing to put the commitment into the full game.

1st half they out work us, some sloppy Midfield play they capitalize, too much complacency in the team there. Second half we played a lot better, weird change by MP to change the shape when we were on top, but we still pressured them and created a few openings. Balbuena should have scored, Arnie should have scored at the end.

But it's all down to how we apply ourselves, we let ourselves down massively first half and just assumed "It's Brighton they aren't good enough to punish us if we're sloppy" but not only did they work hard to close us down, they had enough quality to threaten and got a deserved lead. Then they sat in defence, held a good shape, kept working hard until the end. Yes sometimes they lacked a bit of quality on the ball, had to defend a lot but they did the job to get the results, all through application throughout the full 90 minutes. And one period where someone rolls around on the floor when we're pressing doesn't take away from the fact they worked harder than us today and deserved the win.

It's disappointing and shows we got a LONG way to go before we can think about getting into the top 8.

Totally disagree

If deserving to win the game means offering next to nothing going forward once you’ve taken the lead, then we may aswell get Moyes and Collins back to sit on a 1-0 anytime we go infront

Really frustrating night and I hope they go down. I know which team looks more likely to be more entertaining and moving forward from relegation fights

Brighton are our new Everton and Murray is the new Lukaku, but thankfully neither will be around to bother us for much longer

Brighton played for the full 90 minutes, defended deep and well, we played only for 2/3rds of the game - We got better players than them, I wish they'd have opened themselves up like a cheap whore in Amsterdam but they aren't naive like we were today. We'll finish above them in the table for sure, but we're not putting in 100% tonight.

I will say positives are we look a threat and we do try and pass the ball quickly, thread it through the lines, create some openings just not our day in that aspect. This is definitely an improvement on past seasons though in our style of play.
2 x

Return to “Football Talk”