Masuaku

Chat about anything football related here!
IronsForever

Masuaku

Post by IronsForever » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:05 pm

Every team we play now will target his defensive weakness! This will force Pelle to keep playing Anderson wide to give him cover and Rice will have to slide across also.
If we play Arthur Left midfield it solves the problem! Not defensively good enough as left back but he is as a left midfielder. That would also allow us to go back to Pelle's first invention of 2 holding Mid players only and it would also allow Anderson to play inside more , closer to Arnie.

..........................................................Flappy....................................................
.........ZABBY.........................BALBEUNA............................DIOP......................CRESS...
..........................NOBLE................................RICE.........................MASUAKU..........
...................................YARMELENKO...................................ANDERSON................
............................................................ARNIE....................................................

Now we have better cover at left back with both Arthur and Cress that side. We have Anderson getting more space through the center because Arthur and Cress can interchange down that flank bring defenders across.
0 x
Come On You Irons!!!!!!!!!!

Hammertime

Re: Masuaku

Post by Hammertime » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:39 pm

Thing is I don’t even think he stood out going forward. He has a sublime first touch but seldom makes use of the ball once he has it. If Pelle is choosing him over cresswell then I would say we should be highlighting a lb in Jan that won’t put Anderson in his own half as much & has the ability to aid the attack while attending to his defensive duties.
0 x

Dicksies Diner

Post by Dicksies Diner » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:18 pm

All I want from a defender is do the basics correctly.
Look at Zabba 35 gets up and down and still does the basics good, positional sense and cool headed.

I've never been an Arthur fan defensively last night's mistake was just bizarre. A bloody shame as for me our defence as been the big improvement of late, apart from Fuka Arthur.

If his in front of cresswell then start searching for a new left back.
0 x
Love,peace and harmony to all Hammers.
Fuck the board.

Hammertime

Post by Hammertime » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:07 pm

Especially away from home, defensive concentration is a must. Arthur should've been charged the price of a match ticket for his spectating during their goal!
0 x

ZP Hammer

Post by ZP Hammer » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:33 pm

I've never trusted Arthur defensively, he has a habit of trying stupid holding manoeuvres deep in our half and inviting catastrophe plus he generally makes bad decisions with bouncing balls etc.
Like most of us for one season though I was enthralled and longed for his dashing runs down the wing with mad footwork the made me think of an elegant Paulo Wanchope. 'What's he going to do', nobody knows and nobody can stop him. Stats were being bandied around about how many dribbles he was completing. Well that guy aint around anymore. He very rarely takes people on in any meaningful way anymore. That left side with him and Anderson should be a potent weapon for us but too often ends up as a Bermuda Triangle of attacking dreams. When they are working they are both capable of scintillating football and I'm hopeful that they can forge some kind of partnership out there, but I'd like to see a dedicated LB because as I said Arthur is too suspect.
0 x

IronsForever

Post by IronsForever » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:10 pm

Hammertime wrote:Especially away from home, defensive concentration is a must. Arthur should've been charged the price of a match ticket for his spectating during their goal!
Also if you watch Rasfords goal against us last week he ran across Arthur to meet the ball. He just watched him run past him to the near post.
If he runs that flank and takes defenders out of the game and puts in dangerous crosses then his defensive frailties can be overlooked and covered by the closest Mid player. But if he isn't posing a threat going forward then whats the point in playing the guy at left back? Slot him into left mid and let him loose or sell him!!
0 x

Neville Bartos

Post by Neville Bartos » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:11 pm

We've known Masuaka can't defend for a while. That's something you can overlook playing 3 CBs, but in a back four it's far from ideal.
I think comparing him to Zabaleta is unfair though. Zabaleta may be 35, but in his prime he was nothing short of a world class fullback.
If you wanted to buy a 25 year old version of Zabaleta you wouldn't get much change out of £50m these days.
Fact is we'll have to make do with our shortcomings in midfield and fullback until January, or maybe even next summer.

The one good thing is that although next summer's budget is unlikely to match this summer's, we will be able to spend it all on buying quality for 2 or 3 positions.
0 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

IronsForever

Post by IronsForever » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:30 pm

Neville Bartos wrote:We've known Masuaka can't defend for a while. That's something you can overlook playing 3 CBs, but in a back four it's far from ideal.
I think comparing him to Zabaleta is unfair though. Zabaleta may be 35, but in his prime he was nothing short of a world class fullback.
If you wanted to buy a 25 year old version of Zabaleta you wouldn't get much change out of £50m these days.
Fact is we'll have to make do with our shortcomings in midfield and fullback until January, or maybe even next summer.

The one good thing is that although next summer's budget is unlikely to match this summer's, we will be able to spend it all on buying quality for 2 or 3 positions.
Probably genrate some half decent funds offloading a few also Neville. If we get 30 Million from the twins and offload Reid , Carroll, Antonio and Chico that should return around 40 million. 70 Mill to bring in 2 very decent key players. One up top alongside Arnie and one decent box to box Mid player.
0 x

Neville Bartos

Post by Neville Bartos » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:37 am

IronsForever wrote:
Neville Bartos wrote:We've known Masuaka can't defend for a while. That's something you can overlook playing 3 CBs, but in a back four it's far from ideal.

Probably genrate some half decent funds offloading a few also Neville. If we get 30 Million from the twins and offload Reid , Carroll, Antonio and Chico that should return around 40 million. 70 Mill to bring in 2 very decent key players. One up top alongside Arnie and one decent box to box Mid player.
Hard to count your chickens in terms of transfer fees. The names you mention free up a shit ton of wages though. AC, Hernandez and Antonio would be close to 300k. Can't see anyone stumping up for Reid though. Surely no bugger is going to match his wages on a long term deal and pay a fee for him. Good as he can be I think we'd struggle to give him away.

I'd like a forward, spend big on a midfielder, and a couple of fullbacks who can defend.
0 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:42 am

IronsForever wrote:

Admire your optimism mate but £40 mill for the little lot you mentioned is way more than we can hope to get for them. Although getting rid would free up a lot from the salary payments. Problem is of course any decent replacements usually cost big bucks in fees and salaries. Although hopefully with Husillos the days of giving bang average players like Reid and Antonio massive increases after a handful of decent performances are a thing of the past and we can find more gems like Balbuena for peanuts.

Carroll's out of contract at the end of the season so will walk away and even if we could find some mug prepared to take him off our hands before then I doubt if they'd cough up any readies. Hernandez might bring in a few quid but I doubt if Antonio would reach double figures in the transfer market and shifting Reid, with his big long term contract, would probably keep any fee low. £20 mill absolute tops would be my bet. We only got peanuts for Kouyate didn't we ?
0 x
I demand answers. And I demand them now. Why is there only one monopolies commission ?

Social Media