Masuaku

Chat about anything football related here!
thomasswe

Re: Masuaku

Post by thomasswe » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:36 am

Cresswell might be a better defender but he fucks up passes and gives the ball away more than any other player in the squad, if Masuaku is a defensive liability Cresswell aint the answer, he cost us many goals the last time he was LB (not as much as a LCB) and is almost as effective as Masuaku as LWB (and he can score a free-kick on occation).

They are about the same level, the one thing that counts in Cresswells favor at this particular point is that Zabaleta has outshone Masuaku offensively these past few games.
0 x

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:41 am

Whiskyman wrote:
Flairon wrote:I seem to recall prior to the start of the season, many were calling for Masuaku to start ahead of Cresswell. He is good going forward and presumably that is what he is in the team for. Not making excuse, but questioning the reaction after a poor performance?

At the end of the day, he was not the only one at fault for the Brighton goal. After all, we gave the ball up cheaply on the right side of midfield and their cross came in from their left flank.
Imo the problem with both Masuaku and Cresswell is that on form they each offer something going forward. Masuaku is good with the ball at his feet and Cresswell is capable of quality deliveries. Unfortunately both can be defensive liabilities and for this reason I suspect the days of both are numbered.
Think i concur with most of that, but the question is do we keep one and replace the other with a more natural LB or sell both? If we only have one LB we would need a back up, if we dont get one then we are in the same boat in having to use the one we dont sell as LB cover. That being the case which should be the first option to sell? Mine would be Cresswell, though the difference is slight, Masuaku is better with the ball.
0 x
A good person does things in silence, others strive to be seen as good so scream out their deeds.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:48 am

Tough call. But I reckon Cresswell is the better defender marginally.

Arthur can be devastating but the key word is 'can'. Quite often his crosses are dire.

Bottom line is that we should go for a decent left-back in January and sell one. Cresswell would get a larger fee as he's English.
0 x
It's not the principle. It's the money.

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:53 am

eskimo joe wrote:
Whiskyman wrote:
Imo the problem with both Masuaku and Cresswell is that on form they each offer something going forward. Masuaku is good with the ball at his feet and Cresswell is capable of quality deliveries. Unfortunately both can be defensive liabilities and for this reason I suspect the days of both are numbered.
Think i concur with most of that, but the question is do we keep one and replace the other with a more natural LB or sell both? If we only have one LB we would need a back up, if we dont get one then we are in the same boat in having to use the one we dont sell as LB cover. That being the case which should be the first option to sell? Mine would be Cresswell, though the difference is slight, Masuaku is better with the ball.
This is why I said we need 4 full backs . Cresswell and Masuaku aside , Fredericks has NEVER been able to defend and I dunno why we acquired him (we’ll actually I DO :roll:) and Zabaleta , though he has done really well lately , he ain’t getting any younger .
Along with a decent DM and a striker , we’ll be sorted :lol:
0 x
I hate Thrush he’s an irritating Cunt .

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:29 am

Newmarket wrote:
eskimo joe wrote:
This is why I said we need 4 full backs . Cresswell and Masuaku aside , Fredericks has NEVER been able to defend and I dunno why we acquired him (we’ll actually I DO :roll:) and Zabaleta , though he has done really well lately , he ain’t getting any younger .
Along with a decent DM and a striker , we’ll be sorted :lol:
I went to see Bristol City on Sunday. The left-back was a lad called De Silva who was on loan from the plastics and pants. The locals were lamenting the loss of Joe Bryan who went to Fulham, who was excellent and I wish we'd have gone in for.

He wasn't in the side against the Arse. Maybe he's injured now. If so, right up our street.
0 x
It's not the principle. It's the money.

Flairon

Post by Flairon » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:44 am

eskimo joe wrote:
Whiskyman wrote:
Is not the more telling question, who would you replace one or both with? Who is available at an affordable/realistic price that would be an improvement?
0 x
Flairon

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:21 pm

eskimo joe wrote:
Whiskyman wrote:
Good question Joe. Regarding selling I don't think anyone should be sold unless we replace them with someone better. So I'd be looking for a high class replacement and, assuming we have no one coming through the ranks who can step up, a young up and comer as a back up. If it was up to me to keep one and sell one I'd probably keep Cresswell. Not because I think he's any better but because of the stupid home grown quota everyone is stuck with.
0 x
I demand answers. And I demand them now. Why is there only one monopolies commission ?

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:32 pm

Flairon wrote:
eskimo joe wrote:
Is not the more telling question, who would you replace one or both with? Who is available at an affordable/realistic price that would be an improvement?
I guess many of us would have said the same thing about Reid before Balbuena arrived. If our scouting network (assuming we have such a thing) is doing it's job properly Senor Husillos should have a long list of potential replacements.
0 x
I demand answers. And I demand them now. Why is there only one monopolies commission ?

IronsForever

Post by IronsForever » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:05 pm

Have a feeling we can get Delph from Man City next season. Hasn't started a game this year and what with Pellegrini's connection with the club it wouldn't take much to get him here.. Currently on 90K a week, aged 28
0 x
Come On You Irons!!!!!!!!!!

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:49 am

IronsForever wrote:Have a feeling we can get Delph from Man City next season. Hasn't started a game this year and what with Pellegrini's connection with the club it wouldn't take much to get him here.. Currently on 90K a week, aged 28
Delph isn't a left back though, apparently he sees himself as a midfielder. Guardiola played him in that role when Mendy got injured last season. In any case he gets the occasional airing in City's team so I doubt he'd consider lowering his sights in all honesty.
0 x

Social Media