sitting down..???

Chat about anything football related here!
BlackDiamond

Re: sitting down..???

Post by BlackDiamond » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:00 pm

The club probably hope the problem will self regulate after making sensible pleas through the media.

Of course it doesn't help the cause when DG tweets,that the stewards - logistically - are unable to enforce the rule anyway.

Best way to deal with it: Shame individuals standing on the big screens with captions "Oi ignorant bloke...no ones paid to see you...sit down"

the mouth breathers hate ridicule and shame more than life itself. I bet you could solve the problem within two home games.
0 x

ToneLoc

Post by ToneLoc » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:41 pm

I agree with Porterman's post in that there has to be a happy "balance".

No-one minds standing (most people absolutely endorse it) when we get into a potential scoring situation and it seems to be human nature to stand up.
Woo and myself stood up for long periods yesterday but we didn't have anyone behind us :D (there will be when/if the club extends the seating capacity).

I certainly wouldn't stand long-term if there were people behind me, especially kids, disabled or elderly.

This whole "sitting" thing is now manifesting itself as a struggle between what some sections of supporters see as the "old school versus the modern corporate"......and as a result there are some who are standing to make a point.

We all know what the club SHOULD have done but they didn't so we are where we are. In the end a compromise will have to be reached because we can't have this week in week out. It starts creating a toxic atmosphere where West Ham fans are bickering with West Ham fans every home game........... that's a fucking shitty scenario so common sense is needed across the board.
0 x
"Gentlemen you can't fight in here this is the war room"

belfasthammer

Post by belfasthammer » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:50 pm

I can see both sides of the argument and a happy medium is the best solution. At the last game at UP I stood the whole time despite having some health issues which made it difficult but the game demanded that. I usually am on my feet at exciting moments but everyone's right should be respected. The club needs to look at standing areas ie as Celtic and some German clubs have done. West Ham fans bickering among themselves is horrible
0 x

DanDruff

Post by DanDruff » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:21 pm

Mikeveep wrote:Really ! Where can I read more about that,Dan ?
There's a poster on Westhamonline who works for the club and that's the number he quoted this morning.

I don't know what his actual job is, but he always comes across as knowing what he's on about.
0 x

Olas1

Post by Olas1 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:50 pm

Seats were created post Hillsborough to create a safe environment for fans at football grounds. At Upton Park there are clearly areas that fans stood. I stood for many years in the Bobby Moore lower, and before that stood in the South Bank and North Bank. I eventually made the decision to move to the Bobby Moore Upper tier where I sat. Nowt wrong with standing up to celebrate a goal, or the odd rendition of Bubbles or to vent anger at the referee yet when you have kids and OAPs behind you, it's common sense to respect that. I now attend with my dad and son, and thankfully I don't have any issues re the standing debate. Yet not far away from me fans were standing with no regard for others around them. Selfish act when there were kids who couldn't see the game or OAPS who can't physically stand for that length of time. Sorry, Stewards need to police this properly. Fans also need to understand that if it continues then we will have restrictions on the capacity which may even have to decrease from 57000. Need to think about the bigger picture!
0 x

West Ham man

Post by West Ham man » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:04 pm

West Ham Fans sit down in the stadium and be The new Arsenal whufc_crest
0 x

ToneLoc

Post by ToneLoc » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:05 pm

Olas1 wrote:Seats were created post Hillsborough to create a safe environment for fans at football grounds. At Upton Park there are clearly areas that fans stood. I stood for many years in the Bobby Moore lower, and before that stood in the South Bank and North Bank. I eventually made the decision to move to the Bobby Moore Upper tier where I sat. Nowt wrong with standing up to celebrate a goal, or the odd rendition of Bubbles or to vent anger at the referee yet when you have kids and OAPs behind you, it's common sense to respect that. I now attend with my dad and son, and thankfully I don't have any issues re the standing debate. Yet not far away from me fans were standing with no regard for others around them. Selfish act when there were kids who couldn't see the game or OAPS who can't physically stand for that length of time. Sorry, Stewards need to police this properly. Fans also need to understand that if it continues then we will have restrictions on the capacity which may even have to decrease from 57000. Need to think about the bigger picture!
Indeed mate and it all circles back to this "balance" this "happy medium".
I will respect always those sitting behind me and won't stand during "normal" passages of play.
But at the same time, those sat behind need to respect my preferences when I stand to cheer on our attackers when 1 on 1 with the goalkeeper or when i'm apoplectic over a diabolical refereeing decision.

Horses for courses, common sense, give and take........ and all of those other cliches........
0 x
"Gentlemen you can't fight in here this is the war room"

hammerman69

Post by hammerman69 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:25 pm

West Ham man wrote:West Ham Fans sit down in the stadium and be The new Arsenal whufc_crest
Whereas standing in front of kids and OAPs causing scuffles between fans is much better is it ?

Do look at the bigger picture
0 x

H4L

Post by H4L » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:36 pm

I took my four year old yesterday for his first game and my 7 year old for his second game. They absolutely loved every minute. Saw the whole game were up and as people stood for incidents as they always will. Luckily were we sit in the west lower everyone is siting. I suppose they would have just had to suck up it up and accept that football is about looking at people's backs until they are taller?
0 x

MitchFY66

Post by MitchFY66 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:44 pm

Grow up. "Stand up if you love west ham" it's childish, grow up. We all love West Ham, otherwise why would we be being paid hundreds/thousands of pounds to come and watch the Hammers play? I go to the games with my great Uncle, who's 72 years old and had 2 knee operations. Should he be standing up? Yes, the club fucked up majorly by not having a "singing section" in the seating plan, so those who wish to stand can do so.

But don't you dare call those of us who don't wish to stand for whatever reason (and yes, some of them are in fact valid reasons) that we aren't proper fans because we don't want to stand up for the full 90 minutes.
0 x
He's not the messiah! He's a very naughty boy!

Social Media