The banning of late substitutions

Chat about anything football related here!
terrya1965

The banning of late substitutions

Post by terrya1965 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:32 am

The International FA Board (Ifab) will discuss whether to bring the ban into place in the Premier League next month.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45991113" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think that subs should be brought on,while the game is still in play UNLESS of serious injury.It would stop all these late substitutes that break up the game.

It would be down to the refs discretion whether to stop the game or not.
0 x

redhammer
Site Admin

Re: The banning of late substitutions

Post by redhammer » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:17 am

Part of game management in my opinion, same rules for both teams and is doing a sub any different to a player feigning cramp or a keeper taking 90 seconds to take a goal kick.

But if they have to change it, from the 85th minute on or so, I'd pause the time. Perhaps a job for the 4th official on the touchline to get the minutes for stoppage off the ref a little earlier (he indicates 3) then 4th official adds any stoppage on top.

Personally I wouldn't change it
0 x

OZHAMMER

Post by OZHAMMER » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:56 am

redhammer wrote:Part of game management in my opinion, same rules for both teams and is doing a sub any different to a player feigning cramp or a keeper taking 90 seconds to take a goal kick.

But if they have to change it, from the 85th minute on or so, I'd pause the time. Perhaps a job for the 4th official on the touchline to get the minutes for stoppage off the ref a little earlier (he indicates 3) then 4th official adds any stoppage on top.

Personally I wouldn't change it
Me either. I thought that time taken for substitutions in normal and injury time were added on further anyway?
0 x

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:09 am

Yeah Like Geo says,part of game management,open to abuse for both sides,so no advantage,
bit like holding the ball by corner flag as well (MICKY.. :lol: ),hate it when other teams do it,but
turn a blind eye when its us,not that we ever get the bloody chance to do it....................

What would do is make it obvious your stopping the clock and an automatic minute will be added on
as well,same for any "Injuries" last 10 mins....arm in air, clock being stopped plus the automatic
1min again...

Just needs to be clear to everyone...bit hit and miss at moment....
0 x

Mikeveep

Post by Mikeveep » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:29 am

The same "Arm raising" should be applied to indicate an extra minute when any team takes more than an agreed time to take a goal kick or even a throw in.
0 x

Chicken Runner

Post by Chicken Runner » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:09 pm

This is an issue that I have long felt very strongly about.
IMO substitutions were originally intended to replace injured/tired players or to change the tactical formation of your team.
Now they are being used/abused to manipulate the play by at best, negative manipulation or at worse, cheating by disrupting and bringing to a standstill the run of play. Particularly when one player drags his sorry arse off the pitch, then immediately after, another player is brought on.
How many times have we seen fights and handbags as players lose their rag because of this nonsense?? How many fights or cards have been issued at this point? In essence it destroys the pleasure/entertainment, not to mention sportsmanship of the game.
Far more intelligent people than me need to make the decisions on how to resolve this issue but something must be done!
Rant over from an old fart.
0 x

ToneLoc

Post by ToneLoc » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:41 pm

If we want game management then why not introduce "time outs"?.......let's face, that's exactly what these late subs predominantly are.

Personally they get right on my tits and I'd like to see the back of them.
Or alternatively, if you are going to keep them.... just stop the clock during.
Bloody simple.
0 x
"Gentlemen you can't fight in here this is the war room"

wokinghama

Post by wokinghama » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:30 pm

ToneLoc wrote:If we want game management then why not introduce "time outs"?.......let's face, that's exactly what these late subs predominantly are.

Personally they get right on my tits and I'd like to see the back of them.
Or alternatively, if you are going to keep them.... just stop the clock during.
Bloody simple.
Yes mate.

Have the injury time on a clock within the ground for all to see, which is stopped by the fourth official, when play is interrupted. A goal, sub or injury - then everyone knows where they stand.

Job jobbed.

The other thing that gets me is the keepers allowed time when on the ball. I thought it was still six seconds from when he picks it up. some hold the ball for over 30 seconds - criminal.
Adrian is as bad as anyone tbh
0 x
Chim Chimeney

FatPigIron

Post by FatPigIron » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:03 pm

Is the problem really late subs, or is it the perception that late subs aren't properly reflected in time added on?
Whichever, what I've wanted for years is simply that the match time is visible, just like in Rugby.
This would end Fergy time etc. Injury time would no longer be in dispute, just like goal line technology ended a load of arguements.
What do you think, people: Have a clock showing mins and secs passed?
0 x

Vladnar

Post by Vladnar » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:16 pm

breaks the game up but in truth they don't believe the refs put on enough time, the refs should put on lots of time for it....if they increased play by 5 mins per sub they won't be in such a rush thats for sure.

V
0 x

Social Media