Lets look at Pellegrini

Chat about anything football related here!
Clayton

Re: Lets look at Pellegrini

Postby Clayton » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:12 am

Gonzo wrote:
Clayton wrote:
I am not convinced that he has got it wrong Gonzo , ok Anderson has not lived up to all the hype or lack of it , many of us me included wondered why we were spending £40m on someone many had never heard of or seen . But their have been snippets of play when we have seen what he is capable of . Now I think if we had players on the same wavelength and skill level as him ie Lanzini - Diangana ( yes I think he is good enough from what I have seen ) we would have a different player . Not sure though what is up with his dead ball technique though . Maybe his personality doesnt allow him the confidence to flourish as the main man the star player .

Well at the point he was signing I spoke to somebody who has followed his career and he said that Anderson was very inconsistent and occasionally brilliant. I asked if £40m was too much and my mate said that he'd look £100m on occasion and £1m on others.

Sounds about right , and Pellegrini must have known this , so why spend £40m on him :roll: maybe Pellegrini thinks he can get him playing consistently .
1 x

FlatCapDave

Postby FlatCapDave » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:30 am

Clayton wrote:Sounds about right , and Pellegrini must have known this , so why spend £40m on him :roll: maybe Pellegrini thinks he can get him playing consistently .

All the reports I've read quote the amount as being closer to £34 million, which actually isn't that much money really in today's Premiership world.

I know it seems like a lot to us, but just because we're not used to spending doesn't mean that we're entitled to be signing world beaters for what is a mid-level fee these days.
1 x

Clayton

Postby Clayton » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:13 pm

FlatCapDave wrote:
Clayton wrote:Sounds about right , and Pellegrini must have known this , so why spend £40m on him :roll: maybe Pellegrini thinks he can get him playing consistently .

All the reports I've read quote the amount as being closer to £34 million, which actually isn't that much money really in today's Premiership world.

I know it seems like a lot to us, but just because we're not used to spending doesn't mean that we're entitled to be signing world beaters for what is a mid-level fee these days.

That is the problem I guess , we are not used to spending anywhere near that amount which is nothing for teams at the top .
0 x

FlatCapDave

Postby FlatCapDave » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:27 pm

Let's be honest, if Anderson was anywhere near as good as we all think he should be for that money he wouldn't have come to West Ham.

£34 million for a gamble on a South American playing in Italy sounds about right in todays market. It may still come off, who knows? But we need to be aware of what we are at the moment.

In the summer we were a basket case of a club, with fans invading the pitch, confronting the board, the owners being dodgy cunts and making a right arse of themselves in the media.

I'll say it again, when we first went for Pelle I thought "not a fucking chance!" Why would he want to come here? He's proven himself in the top leagues in the world, and he's earning a tidy sum in China for doing fuck all.

Everyone saw the managers who were knocking us back. No one was interested. We were a joke, the club that no one with any ambition fancied.

Somehow, we got Pelle to come. A stroke of luck in my opinion, but still, it's a start. We're spending some money, which is nice, but it's just been one summer. If we give this fella time and some money he could leave us in a few years time in a position where someone with ambition may actually think "hold on, i fancy this gig."
1 x

Towie

Postby Towie » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:32 pm

Clayton wrote:
Gonzo wrote:

Well at the point he was signing I spoke to somebody who has followed his career and he said that Anderson was very inconsistent and occasionally brilliant. I asked if £40m was too much and my mate said that he'd look £100m on occasion and £1m on others.

Sounds about right , and Pellegrini must have known this , so why spend £40m on him :roll: maybe Pellegrini thinks he can get him playing consistently .

Well Arnie also looks some days a £1m player and others £50m, I think the guy needs time perhaps evens season. Not all new signings hit the ground running ala Arnie last season.
0 x

Gonzo

Postby Gonzo » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:49 pm

Maybe it's the character that he lacks?

Payet and Arnie have an arrogance and a swagger about them which sort of says 'fuck you' to the opposition.

I don't ever get the feeling that Anderson ever decides that he'll dominate the game and be Billy Big Bollocks.

I keep hearing about this technical ability but never really see it. Enough people have said that he has brilliant skills so I suppose he must have them hidden away somewhere but is he confident enough to try it on the pitch? There have been plenty of people over the years who've been good in training but shrink on match-day.

Maybe he'll come good but I bet Burnley have a plan to rough him up tomorrow so don't expect much.
0 x

Hammertime

Postby Hammertime » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:07 pm

Towie wrote:

Well Arnie also looks some days a £1m player and others £50m, I think the guy needs time perhaps evens season. Not all new signings hit the ground running ala Arnie last season.

I think if you go back and look at the last 4 months of last season Arnie was a 50 mill player pretty much every week, with or without Lanzini in the team. Only 2 periods where he's disappointed, first 2 months of last season and somewhat recently while carrying this bruised knee. Even after the first spurs loss I remember thinking what a handful he was for their defenders, even with the injury.

I haven't lost faith in Anderson, I think it's a confidence switch that needs to be flipped and still holdout hope it's coming on.
0 x

Shortshanks

Postby Shortshanks » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:32 pm

So if not Anderson , Who? He looked pretty good against Arsenal (a top side ) , but of course some don't expect him to play to his ability and style they want him to "track back " and cover for players who can't do their job. I think we can all remember when a certain Tevez and Mascherano couldn't initially get in our wonderful world beating side .Mascherano never managed to displace Hayden Mullins thanks to a clueless blinded manager.
3 x

Dicksies Diner

Postby Dicksies Diner » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:25 am

Anderson is no better than Fegoulhi, and the latter was shipped out quickly after in my opinion after not being given a chance.
0 x
Love,peace and harmony to all Hammers.
Fuck the board.

Whiskyman

Postby Whiskyman » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:00 pm

Whiskyman wrote:
FlatCapDave wrote:
Saying that, he'll not be the first Brazilian to come here from another league and fail.

I think it's too early to say Anderson's failed. We're only 10 games into the season FFS, and in one or two of those games he's played decently. I'll judge him at the end of the season tbh.

I am so glad I posted that before today's game. Taking her indoors out for a meal tonight and Humble Pie will not be on the agenda. ;)
1 x
If it looks like a cunt, walks like a cunt, and talks like a cunt it's either Boris Johnson or Jeremy Corbyn.

Return to “Football Talk”