Lets look at Pellegrini

Chat about anything football related here!
Clayton

Re: Lets look at Pellegrini

Postby Clayton » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:56 pm

Newmarket wrote:
Whiskyman wrote:

Position will always be the most important thing for supporters imo. Get relegated playing wonderful flowing football (unlikely I agree but hear me out) and there would be much knocker wetting, foot stamping and gnashing of teeth. Win the league a la Arsenal under George Graham and there would be unrestrained euphoria on the streets.

But I do like the way we have started to perform under Pellegrini. And just in case anyone should forget why the dwarf appointed him, here's a reminder. Forget the bit about under Par-dew. That was beer talk. ;)

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8395&p=147692&hilit=choice+Pellegrini#p147692

For me it’s about the entertainment and the quality of the football , and yes , regardless of the possibility of relegation.

There have been a few in my lifetime it’s nothing new or even shocking .

But to actually sit (whether it’s at the bowl or on your settee) and say to yourself “what a good game of football this is “ with a smile on your face , is to me what it’s all about .
So fuck Moyes and Allardyce and all those other dinocunts that earn their wages under false pretences .
I’m enjoying this season so far .

As a side note , to me , second to the entertainment is EFFORT .
And it was sadly missing at the Spuds cup game .

I hope the new Messiah has addressed it and I don’t have to suffer that again as it was shameful.

Would have to agree with most of what you say ,as far as entertainment and quality of of the football go and yes effort as well , but and a big but dont agree with this if their is a possibility of relegation . We have been down to often and in around the relegation area to want more then that these days . I for one want exciting but relaxing seasons in the future not the usual anxious nervous worrying seasons which are the norm .
0 x

Gonzo

Postby Gonzo » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:28 pm

Whiskyman wrote:
Gonzo wrote:
Absolutely.

We are in the front foot a lot more now and the days of 20% possession seem to be gone. Added to the fact that the young players are being used it's a lot better than before. I think there's still a lot wrong but it's so much better to watch.

I don't go to games any more but the things that are wrong, from what I hear, are things relating to the administration of the club rather than on the field. Playing wise I think we can see tangible progress and whilst there are still weaknesses we can be optimistic the same weaknesses have been noted by the coaching staff and will be addressed with a few timely ins and outs in the summer. Personally speaking I'd be happy if we binned the January window as nothing good usually comes from that. Just ask Alexis Sanchez.

It will be interesting to see if Pellegrini believes there are any more potential Dianganas in the Under 23's because I imagine, once safety is assured, he would like to see how they perform at the top level. Holland was one who seemed to be catching the eye at one point.

Holland returned to training this week and Pellegrini has given him a place in the first team changing room. The significance of that is that only Rice & Diang now have those lockers and the remainder still change with the U23's in training. So it's a clear indication of where he see's his future.
3 x

Whiskyman

Postby Whiskyman » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:11 pm

Newmarket wrote:
Whiskyman wrote:

Position will always be the most important thing for supporters imo. Get relegated playing wonderful flowing football (unlikely I agree but hear me out) and there would be much knocker wetting, foot stamping and gnashing of teeth. Win the league a la Arsenal under George Graham and there would be unrestrained euphoria on the streets.

But I do like the way we have started to perform under Pellegrini. And just in case anyone should forget why the dwarf appointed him, here's a reminder. Forget the bit about under Par-dew. That was beer talk. ;)

For me it’s about the entertainment and the quality of the football , and yes , regardless of the possibility of relegation.

But to actually sit (whether it’s at the bowl or on your settee) and say to yourself “what a good game of football this is “ with a smile on your face , is to me what it’s all about .
So fuck Moyes and Allardyce and all those other dinocunts that earn their wages under false pretences .

I hope the new Messiah has addressed it and I don’t have to suffer that again as it was shameful.

I understand what you are saying but, in all honesty, I can never remember a good side,by which I mean a side playing good watchable football, getting relegated. So for me it's a bit of a non argument. It simply doesn't happen, mainly I guess because such teams will normally amass enough points against the bus parkers and assorted dross they come up against over 38 games. I only made the point because in my experience fans want to see winning football. Arsenal bored the pants off most people under George Graham but Arsenal fans worshipped the bloke. Having said all that good defending is also a skilled art. I used to enjoy watching Paolo Maldini for example. Didn't get people out of their seats like a Messi or Iniesta but still played football like it was an art form. I suppose my admiration for Maldini was because in my all too short embryonic professional career I was a defender. Although I do readily concede my skillset didn't quite reach the standards set by Signor Maldini.

The effort you say was sadly missing at the Mickey Mouse tie was, imo, partly down to Pellegrini. I say that because, whether we like it or not players, not just ours, don't give a rats arse about domestic cup ties so, for me, such games should be about giving the fringe players the opportunity of a start so they can demonstrate what they can do. A kid anxious to impress his manager will work a damn sight harder than a player whose attitude is "fuck this for a game of soldiers".

And talking of good games I don't know if you watched Inter v Barca last night. It was an absolute cracker imo.
1 x
If it looks like a cunt, walks like a cunt, and talks like a cunt it's either Boris Johnson or Jeremy Corbyn.

Whiskyman

Postby Whiskyman » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:16 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Whiskyman wrote:
I don't go to games any more but the things that are wrong, from what I hear, are things relating to the administration of the club rather than on the field. Playing wise I think we can see tangible progress and whilst there are still weaknesses we can be optimistic the same weaknesses have been noted by the coaching staff and will be addressed with a few timely ins and outs in the summer. Personally speaking I'd be happy if we binned the January window as nothing good usually comes from that. Just ask Alexis Sanchez.

It will be interesting to see if Pellegrini believes there are any more potential Dianganas in the Under 23's because I imagine, once safety is assured, he would like to see how they perform at the top level. Holland was one who seemed to be catching the eye at one point.

Holland returned to training this week and Pellegrini has given him a place in the first team changing room. The significance of that is that only Rice & Diang now have those lockers and the remainder still change with the U23's in training. So it's a clear indication of where he see's his future.

That's encouraging. Marcus Browne is another who I heard the club had high hopes for and at least he's out getting first team games at Oxford. As is Martinez out in Madrid of course but they are both playing for struggling teams which I guess makes it harder to shine, particularly for offensive type players.
0 x
If it looks like a cunt, walks like a cunt, and talks like a cunt it's either Boris Johnson or Jeremy Corbyn.

Gonzo

Postby Gonzo » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:52 pm

Whiskyman wrote:
Gonzo wrote:

That's encouraging. Marcus Browne is another who I heard the club had high hopes for and at least he's out getting first team games at Oxford. As is Martinez out in Madrid of course but they are both playing for struggling teams which I guess makes it harder to shine, particularly for offensive type players.

I was talking to someone on the boats at the weekend and either his dad or brother supported Oxford. Anyway he was very excited about Browne and apparently he has really shone whilst on loan regardless of the teams overall play.
0 x

IronsForever

Postby IronsForever » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:49 pm

Newmarket wrote:
Whiskyman wrote:

Decent post but it's the same scenario again this season. Our league form and position dictates the team we field in the cup games and also like Whiskey says, The fringe players should be chomping at the bit to get out there. We had gr8 run in our least season at Upton because Bilic could afford to play a strong line up having no fear of relegation.
Lets say we play Arnie for 90 mins against Spurs and that ruled him out the Burnley game and we lose.
If we get relegated by 2 points we can argue that Pellegrini shouldn't have played him in the Spurs game.When you have 1 or 2 very key players and you are hovering down the bottom half of the league its a big move playing them in the cup games,
Last season at Shrewsbury we lost Reid and Obiang for the season. Then Arnie and Lanzini had Hammy's.
The top 4 clubs win this almost every year!! They have quality in depth in their squads if needed and never have to worry about losing a key player once the league is out of reach and Champions league almost assured.
0 x
Come On You Irons!!!!!!!!!!

hd1

Postby hd1 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:21 pm

Chatting to a long suffering Citeh supporter mate of mine, who was there when they were shit, he has no doubt Pelle will improve both the way we play and our fortunes.

He also said, give him a billion to spend and he'll probably win you the Premiership as well. So, only another £900m to go then....
4 x

Whiskyman

Postby Whiskyman » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:31 am

Gonzo wrote:
Whiskyman wrote:

I was talking to someone on the boats at the weekend and either his dad or brother supported Oxford. Anyway he was very excited about Browne and apparently he has really shone whilst on loan regardless of the teams overall play.

Hope his loan turns out better than Rob Hall who apparently stood out on loan down there a few years ago. Decided not to accept the contract we offered him and went to Bolton. Didn't work out for him there and he's now, guess what, back at Oxford.
0 x

Gonzo

Postby Gonzo » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:18 am

Whiskyman wrote:
Gonzo wrote:

Hope his loan turns out better than Rob Hall who apparently stood out on loan down there a few years ago. Decided not to accept the contract we offered him and went to Bolton. Didn't work out for him there and he's now, guess what, back at Oxford.

I remember him and he was outstanding. The best one that I can remember was a kid called Kyle Reid who was the superstar of England U16's which Sky used to feature. I was telling anyone who'd listen that West Ham had the next superstar player but he couldn't transition to mens football.
0 x

Whiskyman

Postby Whiskyman » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:34 am

Gonzo wrote:
Whiskyman wrote:

I remember him and he was outstanding. The best one that I can remember was a kid called Kyle Reid who was the superstar of England U16's which Sky used to feature. I was telling anyone who'd listen that West Ham had the next superstar player but he couldn't transition to mens football.

We had a PSF at Oxford a season after his loan ended and Hall turned out for us. Got a great reception from the Oxford crowd which says something I guess. Apparently got impatient for first team football and thought he could do better with Bolton.

And it is a massive step up from youth to senior football as I can personally confirm. I was a fucking star as a kid you know. I could have been a contender. Unfortunately----------but that's another story. ;)
0 x

Return to “Football Talk”