Masuaku & Anderson

Chat about anything football related here!
Taansend

Masuaku & Anderson

Postby Taansend » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:46 pm

I've only seen highlights of the Burnley game as I was at work.

Do you think that Anderson had a much improved performance partly down to who's behind him?

I like Masuaku but he's more of a winger than a defender. Cresswell is a bit more 'solid'.

Obviously it ain't that simple & there's always multiple factors but who would you rather start with?
0 x

Hammertime

Re: Masuaku & Anderson

Postby Hammertime » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:22 pm

Taansend wrote:I've only seen highlights of the Burnley game as I was at work.

Do you think that Anderson had a much improved performance partly down to who's behind him?

I like Masuaku but he's more of a winger than a defender. Cresswell is a bit more 'solid'.

Obviously it ain't that simple & there's always multiple factors but who would you rather start with?

In short, yes!

Arthur wants to be an Anderson and therefore occupies the same space as him on the left too often and congests an area on that wing that doesnt allow space for the tricky Brazilian. Cresswell wants to be a lb and plays like it, supporting Anderson on the wing, but not occupying the space ahead of him. Also a much better defender than Arthur.
3 x

punkrockhammer

Postby punkrockhammer » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:59 pm

Hammertime wrote:

In short, yes!

Arthur wants to be an Anderson and therefore occupies the same space as him on the left too often and congests an area on that wing that doesnt allow space for the tricky Brazilian. Cresswell wants to be a lb and plays like it, supporting Anderson on the wing, but not occupying the space ahead of him. Also a much better defender than Arthur.

I can’t buy that. He’s been shit with both of them behind him

Maybe after he was hooked at HT v Spuds he was told that it was Burnley next and if he didn’t put a performance in against opposition like that then he wouldn’t make the Huddersfield game. MP has form for dropping starting players from a squad completely for the next game

Maybe MP put an arm him and bigged him up to give him some confidence

Whatever it was worked, because he was finally going at the defender and beating players with pace, something he’s looked incapable of most of the time
0 x

Shortshanks

Postby Shortshanks » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:51 pm

punkrockhammer wrote:
Hammertime wrote:
In short, yes!

I can’t buy that. He’s been shit with both of them behind him

Maybe after he was hooked at HT v Spuds he was told that it was Burnley next and if he didn’t put a performance in against opposition like that then he wouldn’t make the Huddersfield game. MP has form for dropping starting players from a squad completely for the next game

Maybe MP put an arm him and bigged him up to give him some confidence

Whatever it was worked, because he was finally going at the defender and beating players with pace, something he’s looked incapable of most of the time

Can't see where you get the "he's been shit" from. He played very well against Arsenal and has shown he has a fair amount of ability on several other occasions. He's a winger or an attacking midfielder and people shouldn't be wanting him to play as a defensive player trying to cover for inferior players. He scored goals and had plenty of assists when still a relatively young player at Napoli.
0 x

palerider

Postby palerider » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:09 pm

I just think it takes time settling into a new environment.

It took me a while getting used to life out here. The festivals, the cider, the sheep-sex. The sitting for hours on a dry-stone wall whilst dribbling.

He'll be fine.
2 x
It's not the principle. It's the money.

IronsForever

Postby IronsForever » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:39 pm

I think Anderson will always be an " In and Out " performer.

Arthur's biggest downfall was that game against City away when he did more tricks and step overs than the whole Man City team that day. He was amazing. After that game our expectations grew .
I think his best position would be left midfield. He clearly don't like playing left back because he loves to run at people with the ball but he is confined to the wing at left back.
In the cup game against Wimbledon he came on late as left mid and threaded a nice ball through for an assist.
More to come from Arthur but it won't be left back.He was suited by Moyes system of 3 central defenders and 2 wing backs but pelles system has him more stabilized, esp with Anderson alongside him.
2 x
Come On You Irons!!!!!!!!!!

h69

Postby h69 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:57 pm

No...and I dont buy that Cresswell is any more solid. Neither are great left backs.

As for Anderson, he just needs time to adapt to a completely different culture both on and off the pitch and is clearly one of those players who needs an arm round him otherwise he is too scared to take risks and will do the easy stuff only.

Reminds me of the early Arnie until Moyes sat down and sorted him out !
0 x

thomasswe

Postby thomasswe » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:42 am

Arthur is a great wing back, probably a decent winger and not that great of a left back.

As for Cresswell he arguably should have prevented Burnleys second goal had he stoof at his post, he also is prone to play crap passes that end up as chances for the oppoding team, but is likely a more dependable left back due to berrer posituonal sense, at least judging from both players recent performances.
0 x

Gonzo

Postby Gonzo » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:19 am

Before this game I'd have suggested that Anderson was better with Masuaku behind him. In fact I was of the opinion that he had no understanding at all with Cresswell.

Clearly things had improved in the last game though but I think the main contributing factor is that Anderson is incredibly inconsistent.
0 x

Baddowhammer

Postby Baddowhammer » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:45 am

Anderson was further up the pitch without any defensive duties this alone was a help,when he received the ball he was looking forward and the passes he previously missed by millimetres in games gone by got through,and two goals that he got were from inside the box and he kept cool even though he'd missed one or two by then,it looked like our luck had changed,but luck is earnt and only time will tell whether or not Anderson's new found form continues,let's hope so it was a joy to watch.COYI
0 x

Return to “Football Talk”